Topic Wiki

Top rated point of view
I hear both sides. While I am fairly certain that this will ultimately have a negative effect on the kids that were there, I understand that this protest was never intended to be for their benefit but rather to protest against public chilul shabbos. Is that a fair trade-off?

I did speak with a rabbi who I consider to be one of the world's foremost experts on helping OTD kids (and I have personal experience with way too many of them), and he was vehemently against it. He felt that a protest like this will cause significantly more kids to go off, as it now created an us-vs-them mentality that until now only simmered below the surface but is now being forced on them.

12 years ago I was ordered to leave Lakewood because of a (in hindsight) very trivial incident. Do you know what that type of ostracization does to an angry teenager? It makes them angrier and more eager to do the things that caused them to be ostracized in the first place. Some of these kids may have been only testing the waters, hanging out with friends who are much more brazen than them right now. Now they feel like they there's no return. Some of these kids have friends that they will now convince to join them who otherwise were only being mechalel shabbos behind closed doors. There are plenty of kids who are currently in yeshiva and looking the part, but also engaging in all forms of illicit activities including drugs and chilul shabbos. Many of these kids will now feel emboldened to join a "community" of like minded kids. Etc etc etc.

Chop off the limb to save the body, I get that concept even if I don't agree with it. But what about anything connected to that limb? This has consequences reaching far beyond the kids that were physically being mechalel shabbos at the  lake, and I don't think anyone thought about this beyond how it would affect the protesters and the protestees.

My 2 cents.

Lakewood shabbos DO (singing kah echsof in the park, while smoking electric cigarettes using a shabbos switch

Confirmed:
Grodnoking (Need a shabbos switch for my Ecig, who can bring one?)

Probable:

Impossible:
henche

תניא פרק ל"ב

ומ"ש בגמ' שמי שרואה בחבירו שחטא מצוה לשנאותו וגם לומר לרבו שישנאהו. היינו בחבירו בתורה ומצות וכבר קיים בו מצות הוכח תוכיח את עמיתך עם שאתך בתורה ובמצות ואעפ"כ לא שב מחטאו כמ"ש בס' חרדים

אבל מי שאינו חבירו ואינו מקורב אצלו הנה ע"ז אמר הלל הזקן הוי מתלמידיו של אהרן אוהב שלום וכו' אוהב את הבריות ומקרבן לתורה. לומר שאף הרחוקים מתורת ה' ועבודתו ולכן נקראי' בשם בריות בעלמא צריך למשכן בחבלי עבותו' אהבה וכולי האי ואולי יוכל לקרבן לתורה ועבודת ה' והן לא לא הפסיד שכר מצות אהבת ריעים

וגם המקורבים אליו והוכיחם ולא שבו מעונותיהם שמצוה לשנאותם מצוה לאהבם ג"כ ושתיהן הן אמת שנאה מצד הרע שבהם ואהבה מצד בחי' הטוב הגנוז שבהם שהוא ניצוץ אלקות שבתוכם המחיה נפשם האלקית וגם לעורר רחמים בלבו עליה כי היא בבחי' גלות בתוך הרע מס"א הגובר עליה ברשעי' והרחמנות מבטלת השנאה ומעוררת האהבה כנודע ממ"ש ליעקב אשר פדה את אברהם [ולא אמר דה"עה תכלית שנאה שנאתים וגו' אלא על המינים והאפיקורסים שאין להם חלק באלהי ישראל כדאיתא בגמרא ר"פ ט"ז דשבת]:

« Last edited by yesitsme on May 21, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »

Author Topic: Lakewood Shabbos rally  (Read 152924 times)

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood Shabbos rally
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2015, 08:03:25 AM »
Just to give a little perspective, yes, there have been times in Jewish history when leadership made the painful choice of amputating a limb to save the body. Heck, every time you daven shemona esrei and say l'malshinim is an example.

What I think some of us are forgetting is that those ostracized parties were actual movements with deep ideology, not a bunch of kids floundering at life.

So too when someone referenced that the point of protests in E"Y against chilul shabbos was to keep it from becoming the norm rather than to actually change the behavior of the shabbos violators... nu, perfect example. That was about institutionalized chilul shabbos by adults with power -- people who run the bus schedules and who own stores and malls.

My point is that you don't shoot a bazooka at a housefly.

Oh, doodle, and as far as your hypothetical question about these kids raping people, go find out how many of them were raped or molested (by frum people.) And doodle, yes I really love you too EVEN THOUGH you are frum.  :)

Offline tjak

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2015, 08:03:46 AM »

It's giving up to switch from being a loving person and making things for them to making a rally and marching past them (or shows that the original face was a fake)
You're wrong though and if he believes that so is he, these kids are way more stubborn and most of them have nothing to lose - they will definitely outlast them at this game and they will win. I agree that there may be a concept of Chayecha Kodmim and if we are left with no option but to push them away to protect ourselves then Das Torah would tell us that but there are many many more options and we aren't even dealing with an issue of Chayecha Kodmim cause with proper Chinuch you wouldn't have to worry about your own children seeing this.

I don't have an issue listening to Das Torah, I have an issue listening to people claiming they are quoting Das Torah - something that unfortunately happens way too often
If a parent has to come to throwing a child out of the house for the sake of the other children does that mean they don't love their child? No, sometimes even if it hurts you gotta do something cause it's the right thing to do. Just because he's pro this doesn't make him a fake, it means unfortunately he had to come on to agreeing that we have to look at the greater good.
About outlasting them I don't think so, they're there cause it's a good place to chill. If every shabbos the people you despise come make a kumzits there it loses it's chill. So for the first couple times it's fun to smoke and take videos in their faces but then it slowly loses it's fun. And slowly they'll find a new place to chill and hopefully it would be in a more private venue. And maybe this is the perfect time for someone to open up a place for them to chill on shabbos afternoon.
Now for your problem of just give proper chinuch. I'm no master in that field but maybe this is the way to show children the holiness shabbos. Everyone coming out and protesting for the sake of shabbos. You definitely see in the Torah the concept of  people being Moche.     

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2015, 08:26:52 AM »
Just to give a little perspective, yes, there have been times in Jewish history when leadership made the painful choice of amputating a limb to save the body. Heck, every time you daven shemona esrei and say l'malshinim is an example.

What I think some of us are forgetting is that those ostracized parties were actual movements with deep ideology, not a bunch of kids floundering at life.

So too when someone referenced that the point of protests in E"Y against chilul shabbos was to keep it from becoming the norm rather than to actually change the behavior of the shabbos violators... nu, perfect example. That was about institutionalized chilul shabbos by adults with power -- people who run the bus schedules and who own stores and malls.

My point is that you don't shoot a bazooka at a housefly.

Oh, doodle, and as far as your hypothetical question about these kids raping people, go find out how many of them were raped or molested (by frum people.) And doodle, yes I really love you too EVEN THOUGH you are frum.  :)
+1 on everything you said. Just to emphasize the reason almost every single one of them is there is because they suffered (in a variety of different ways) at the hands of other "frum" people. The focus and energy should b on on that "epidemic" not chasing away symptoms of that "diesease". However when you see these stories it just so deprsseing to see how far we are from fixing the problem.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2015, 08:28:23 AM »
+10000
IN THE DAYS OF CHAZAL EVERY ONE OF THESE KIDS WOULD BE STONED TO DEATH.

In the days of Chazal if a Beis Din killed even one person every 70 years they'd be considered a cruel B"D...

Maybe you need to stop projecting your zealotry on Chazal.

I also don't see how you can equate rape, a mishpat and sin against another person, to Shabbos, an edus/ois, and transgression against g-d.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:32:48 AM by AsherO »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2015, 08:32:59 AM »

Now for your problem of just give proper chinuch. I'm no master in that field but maybe this is the way to show children the holiness shabbos. Everyone coming out and protesting for the sake of shabbos. You definitely see in the Torah the concept of  people being Moche.     
How exactly does this show the holiness of Shabbos?
If this protest is for the kid on the fence If anything it will reinforce the perception in a kid's mind that we are intolerant of people that are diffrent than us and drive hime further.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2015, 08:36:26 AM »
If a parent has to come to throwing a child out of the house for the sake of the other children does that mean they don't love their child? No, sometimes even if it hurts you gotta do something cause it's the right thing to do. Just because he's pro this doesn't make him a fake, it means unfortunately he had to come on to agreeing that we have to look at the greater good.
About outlasting them I don't think so, they're there cause it's a good place to chill. If every shabbos the people you despise come make a kumzits there it loses it's chill. So for the first couple times it's fun to smoke and take videos in their faces but then it slowly loses it's fun. And slowly they'll find a new place to chill and hopefully it would be in a more private venue. And maybe this is the perfect time for someone to open up a place for them to chill on shabbos afternoon.
You don't taunt your child about the fact that you kicked him out, the protest whatever way you cut it is not an expression of love it's the opposite and if any of them heard that he backs it they would lose all form of trust he ever had with them.

They may have gone there cause it was a good place to chill but most of these kids are angry rebellious stubborn kids, it may be way easier to go OTD today but it still takes courage and character and I will put money down they outlast the protests just to spite.

You're making a Machoe that you don't want your sheltered kids to see people being mechalel shabbos by bringing them to a park where people are being mechalel shabbos to teach them how holy shabbos is (while indirectly teaching them that they are bad people that should be shunned) why not just sit them down and teach them how special shabbos is...

Offline tjak

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2015, 08:36:52 AM »

How exactly does this show the holiness of Shabbos?
If this protest is for the kid on the fence If anything it will reinforce the perception in a kid's mind that we are intolerant of people that are diffrent than us and drive hime further.
Who said this is for the kid on the fence, I think it's to show we don't tolerate chillul shabbos. And yes if 50 to 100 people come out every week to be Moche chillul shabbos in public I think that is sanctifying shabbos. 

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2015, 08:38:28 AM »
Who said this is for the kid on the fence, I think it's to show we don't tolerate chillul shabbos. And yes if 50 to 100 people come out every week to be Moche chillul shabbos in public I think that is sanctifying shabbos.
At what cost?!???? Sanctify shabbos without pushing other jews farther away.

Offline tjak

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2015, 08:41:42 AM »

At what cost?!???? Sanctify shabbos without pushing other jews farther away.
And the problem you have that doing this might push them away farther is not for me and you to decide which one overrides, that has to be left to das Torah to which my understanding they had here.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »
Upthread it was mentioned that this was for the kids on the fence.
So why dont they come out to Long island and protest?  Plenty of chilul shabbos going on out here. And once theyre at it let them protest the  intermarriage that goes on out here.

Offline tjak

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2015, 08:52:42 AM »

Upthread it was mentioned that this was for the kids on the fence.
So why dont they come out to Long island and protest?  Plenty of chilul shabbos going on out here. And once theyre at it let them protest the  intermarriage that goes on out here.
I don't see how this will help kids on the fence, and I don't think that's what it's about.
In lkwd when formally frum kids are sitting in public doing things against Halacha, you have to be able to tell your kids something. And obviously it was decided by greater people than me that this is what we should show are children. In Long Island are kids don't see it so we don't have to answer to them.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2015, 09:05:37 AM »

I don't see how this will help kids on the fence, and I don't think that's what it's about.
In lkwd when formally frum kids are sitting in public doing things against Halacha, you have to be able to tell your kids something. And obviously it was decided by greater people than me that this is what we should show are children. In Long Island are kids don't see it so we don't have to answer to them.
So let me get this straight, if they lived in long island they would protest its they donr protest here only because their kids dont witness the chillul shabos.
By the way, you keep saying it was decided by people greater than us, yet you dont provide any source of this.

Offline tjak

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2015, 09:11:41 AM »

So let me get this straight, if they lived in long island they would protest its they donr protest here only because their kids dont witness the chillul shabos.
By the way, you keep saying it was decided by people greater than us, yet you dont provide any source of this.
I keep saying it was decided by greater people than us because that's what I heard and that's my current understanding. If you prove me wrong I will retract a lot of what I'm saying. Do you have anyone who's openly against it?

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2015, 09:17:24 AM »
I keep saying it was decided by greater people than us because that's what I heard and that's my current understanding. If you prove me wrong I will retract a lot of what I'm saying. Do you have anyone who's openly against it?
I dont need anyone to come out openly against it. I'm sure what my rebbie's stance on this would be if I asked him.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2015, 09:19:20 AM »
I and (i suspect most others here) have rebbeim and i have no doubt my rebbeim would be unequivocally against it dont even have to waste my breath asking

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
I dont need anyone to come out openly against it. I'm sure what my rebbie's stance on this would be if I asked him.
Beat me to it

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »
And we need someone to be openly against it b4 someone openly endorsing it this bad been going on for two weeks now with hundreds of people and you can't find some pubic endorsement?

Offline tjak

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2015, 09:25:43 AM »

I and (i suspect most others here) have rebbeim and i have no doubt my rebbeim would be unequivocally against it dont even have to waste my breath asking
And I'm pretty sure that my Rebbie would be pro it. And he has an understanding of these kids being that he was a successful Rebbie in a yeshiva that deals with these type of kids.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2015, 09:28:18 AM »

And I'm pretty sure that my Rebbie would be pro it. And he has an understanding of these kids being that he was a successful Rebbie in a yeshiva that deals with these type of kids.
So why would you charge if your Rebbe is pro it?
#skeptical

Offline tjak

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2015, 09:31:04 AM »

So why would you charge if your Rebbe is pro it?
#skeptical
I said if you prove me wrong I would change. Proving me wrong would be if my Rebbie isn't pro it.