Topic Wiki

Top rated point of view
I hear both sides. While I am fairly certain that this will ultimately have a negative effect on the kids that were there, I understand that this protest was never intended to be for their benefit but rather to protest against public chilul shabbos. Is that a fair trade-off?

I did speak with a rabbi who I consider to be one of the world's foremost experts on helping OTD kids (and I have personal experience with way too many of them), and he was vehemently against it. He felt that a protest like this will cause significantly more kids to go off, as it now created an us-vs-them mentality that until now only simmered below the surface but is now being forced on them.

12 years ago I was ordered to leave Lakewood because of a (in hindsight) very trivial incident. Do you know what that type of ostracization does to an angry teenager? It makes them angrier and more eager to do the things that caused them to be ostracized in the first place. Some of these kids may have been only testing the waters, hanging out with friends who are much more brazen than them right now. Now they feel like they there's no return. Some of these kids have friends that they will now convince to join them who otherwise were only being mechalel shabbos behind closed doors. There are plenty of kids who are currently in yeshiva and looking the part, but also engaging in all forms of illicit activities including drugs and chilul shabbos. Many of these kids will now feel emboldened to join a "community" of like minded kids. Etc etc etc.

Chop off the limb to save the body, I get that concept even if I don't agree with it. But what about anything connected to that limb? This has consequences reaching far beyond the kids that were physically being mechalel shabbos at the  lake, and I don't think anyone thought about this beyond how it would affect the protesters and the protestees.

My 2 cents.

Lakewood shabbos DO (singing kah echsof in the park, while smoking electric cigarettes using a shabbos switch

Confirmed:
Grodnoking (Need a shabbos switch for my Ecig, who can bring one?)

Probable:

Impossible:
henche

תניא פרק ל"ב

ומ"ש בגמ' שמי שרואה בחבירו שחטא מצוה לשנאותו וגם לומר לרבו שישנאהו. היינו בחבירו בתורה ומצות וכבר קיים בו מצות הוכח תוכיח את עמיתך עם שאתך בתורה ובמצות ואעפ"כ לא שב מחטאו כמ"ש בס' חרדים

אבל מי שאינו חבירו ואינו מקורב אצלו הנה ע"ז אמר הלל הזקן הוי מתלמידיו של אהרן אוהב שלום וכו' אוהב את הבריות ומקרבן לתורה. לומר שאף הרחוקים מתורת ה' ועבודתו ולכן נקראי' בשם בריות בעלמא צריך למשכן בחבלי עבותו' אהבה וכולי האי ואולי יוכל לקרבן לתורה ועבודת ה' והן לא לא הפסיד שכר מצות אהבת ריעים

וגם המקורבים אליו והוכיחם ולא שבו מעונותיהם שמצוה לשנאותם מצוה לאהבם ג"כ ושתיהן הן אמת שנאה מצד הרע שבהם ואהבה מצד בחי' הטוב הגנוז שבהם שהוא ניצוץ אלקות שבתוכם המחיה נפשם האלקית וגם לעורר רחמים בלבו עליה כי היא בבחי' גלות בתוך הרע מס"א הגובר עליה ברשעי' והרחמנות מבטלת השנאה ומעוררת האהבה כנודע ממ"ש ליעקב אשר פדה את אברהם [ולא אמר דה"עה תכלית שנאה שנאתים וגו' אלא על המינים והאפיקורסים שאין להם חלק באלהי ישראל כדאיתא בגמרא ר"פ ט"ז דשבת]:

« Last edited by yesitsme on May 21, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »

Author Topic: Lakewood Shabbos rally  (Read 152150 times)

Offline Dywert

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood Shabbos rally
« Reply #300 on: May 18, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
I just read through this whole thread. I live in Lakewood and deal with these kids a lot. I feel for them and wish that I could help them more. I must however say that I think Aj3042 is 100% correct!! We can not let emotions overwhelm us. We should feel for them and Daven for them, but we still need to always do what is right.

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 18, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »
ppl like elit and level6 seem to have ZERO red lines.
whatever a otd does must be uncoditionally accepted. 
rape incest murder drugs and chilul shabbos
YOU ARE DESTROYING WHATEVER IS LEFT OF YISROEL
Salt Is Good

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 18, 2015, 03:25:29 PM »
I just read through this whole thread. I live in Lakewood and deal with these kids a lot. I feel for them and wish that I could help them more. I must however say that I think Aj3042 is 100% correct!! We can not let emotions overwhelm us. We should feel for them and Daven for them, but we still need to always do what is right.
thank you for posting here , some ppl here are badly misinformed or worse , ...
Salt Is Good

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #303 on: May 18, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »
What makes me laugh (or nauseates me) is you guys who must feel so threatened by a bunch of kids who are failing at life. You're invoking dinim that apply to real apikursim. What are they? A bunch of boki b'Shas Conservative rabbis from 100 years ago? You'd think they were Spinoza or Mendelson or at least Marcus Jastrow the way you're coming out against them.

How is it different than maaseh Zimri? Exactly! Zimri was a nasi l'sheivet, an adam gadol. He had tens of thousands of followers. He wasn't a teenage kid who's illiterate in three languages and can barely get a minimum wage job.

When you start talking about their shechita is pasul... not mitztaref to a minyan... give me a break. What? One of these kids asked for Maftir Yonah?

Guys, get a grip.
They are making a whole hangout area in the center of the from area. It is not each individual but the atmosphere they are creating.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 18, 2015, 03:26:28 PM »
Since when in a logical conversation, does someone bring up how one would feel if they were biased?

Do we ask a dayan how he would feel if he took shochad?

(I in no way intend to minimize the pain of the parents. I'm just pointing out that it really doesn't make sense to ask someone making a logical argument, how he would feel if he was biased)

You just took the words straight out of my mouth. Well said, which is why I responded in bold is this sums up what's going on here-emotion against Halacha.
Why is it only those who DO NOT understand the situation that are saying there is no need to understand?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #305 on: May 18, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »
Well said. It's sad and we have to deal with them softly and correctly (there are sometimes good reasons they are where they are) but there need to be some red lines as well.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 18, 2015, 03:31:15 PM »
I'm out of this conversation 😰😰

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #307 on: May 18, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
Why is it only those who DO NOT understand the situation that are saying there is no need to understand?
you have yet to demonstrate your understanding
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #308 on: May 18, 2015, 03:33:21 PM »
Public chillul shabbos is the situation. Period. Everything else is a side issue and must be dealt with separately.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 18, 2015, 03:34:40 PM »
Who says we don't understand? There is a difference between helping kids and condoning everything they do. This is NOT about how to help OTD kids. That's been discussed, written about... and we stilll don't have one size fits all solutions. It really needs to be dealt with on an individual basis.
This IS about groups of kids publicly being Mechallel Shabbos. It is that which is being addressed and nothing else.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #310 on: May 18, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
Dear AJ,

I don't think you appreciate what people here are trying to say. No matter the severity of the issue, the question is your end game: what is it you hope to accomplish, and does this method have any chance of success?

Does anyone truly believe that this passive aggressive signing is going to cause these "kids" to stop doing this? I think it is blatantly obvious that having these crowds of "peaceful protesters" - well-meaning as they are, and the offenders behaving in a manner which is truly painful to witness - is more likely to backfire: The "kids" may move alright, but to a more central location so as to create a greater commotion (or it may create fist fights, as mentioned above).

You compare it to עריות (though I don't understand why) - so take the comparison further: if that was what was happening, would you send groups of men and children to sing songs near them? (What songs would you choose? Now there is a more fun discussion.)

Please stop building and destroying this straw man. It's getting tired and old fast.

Offline Sport

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 18, 2015, 03:35:44 PM »
Public chillul shabbos is the situation. Period. Everything else is a side issue and must be dealt with separately.
Ok fine we got your point public chillul shabbos is an issue thatvhas to be dealt with.
How does this deal with it ?

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 18, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »
Okay, dudes. Handle it however you want. Ironically, you are just breeding even more the same.

I am sympathetic to your disgust and horror at observing public chilul shabbos by formerly frum kids, but your approach is just exacerbating your problem.  :'(

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 18, 2015, 03:38:21 PM »
To both of the above-as the chafetz chaim once said in relation to something like this-"when it hurts you cry out". Given its extreme severity you don't take it sitting down. If hey we're raping people in the streets you wouldn't be so apologetic so here too. On something like this you make your voice heard-"ENOUGH!!!".

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 18, 2015, 03:39:53 PM »
To both of the above-as the chafetz chaim once said in relation to something like this-"when it hurts you cry out". Given its extreme severity you don't take it sitting down. If hey we're raping people in the streets you wouldn't be so apologetic so here too. On something like this you make your voice heard-"ENOUGH!!!".
Enough with the rape, you pervert.

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 18, 2015, 03:41:20 PM »
Who said there's no need to understand?

And how do you know who understands and who doesn't.

This is an anonymous forum.

Stop assuming that everyone who disagrees with you doesn't understand.

(I for one would agree with you, I just have respect for the rabbanim, and don't think their clueless or heartless)

You still haven't responded to the founder of Minyan Shelanu being pro.

(typed on the laptop you helped me buy - thanks  :) )
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:46:21 PM by Baruch »

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 18, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »

So don't think about what you are doing, don't think will this help solve the problem, don't think rationally just get up and scream like a maniac no matter the consequences

I hope I understand what you are saying correctly
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #317 on: May 18, 2015, 03:44:17 PM »
Now who was the one who said we need to put emotions on the side?

Offline dealvr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA ExPlat, Qantas Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #318 on: May 18, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »
You are a prime example of the problem.

On another note, these kids are on public property. This isn't Iran or North Korea.  They can (and will) do whatever they want.
Hey there! I am using WhatsApp.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 18, 2015, 03:46:35 PM »
Enough with the rape, you pervert.
Oh so you don't even like talking about-so sensitive all the sudden. Well guess what-chillul shabbos is that times 100! So if you want to defend chillul shabbos (or attack those who protect it) that nimshal will come into the conversation.
Btw on a side note that's not a way to argue. You're attacking me personally (though you don't know me) instead of the issue.