Topic Wiki

Top rated point of view
I hear both sides. While I am fairly certain that this will ultimately have a negative effect on the kids that were there, I understand that this protest was never intended to be for their benefit but rather to protest against public chilul shabbos. Is that a fair trade-off?

I did speak with a rabbi who I consider to be one of the world's foremost experts on helping OTD kids (and I have personal experience with way too many of them), and he was vehemently against it. He felt that a protest like this will cause significantly more kids to go off, as it now created an us-vs-them mentality that until now only simmered below the surface but is now being forced on them.

12 years ago I was ordered to leave Lakewood because of a (in hindsight) very trivial incident. Do you know what that type of ostracization does to an angry teenager? It makes them angrier and more eager to do the things that caused them to be ostracized in the first place. Some of these kids may have been only testing the waters, hanging out with friends who are much more brazen than them right now. Now they feel like they there's no return. Some of these kids have friends that they will now convince to join them who otherwise were only being mechalel shabbos behind closed doors. There are plenty of kids who are currently in yeshiva and looking the part, but also engaging in all forms of illicit activities including drugs and chilul shabbos. Many of these kids will now feel emboldened to join a "community" of like minded kids. Etc etc etc.

Chop off the limb to save the body, I get that concept even if I don't agree with it. But what about anything connected to that limb? This has consequences reaching far beyond the kids that were physically being mechalel shabbos at the  lake, and I don't think anyone thought about this beyond how it would affect the protesters and the protestees.

My 2 cents.

Lakewood shabbos DO (singing kah echsof in the park, while smoking electric cigarettes using a shabbos switch

Confirmed:
Grodnoking (Need a shabbos switch for my Ecig, who can bring one?)

Probable:

Impossible:
henche

תניא פרק ל"ב

ומ"ש בגמ' שמי שרואה בחבירו שחטא מצוה לשנאותו וגם לומר לרבו שישנאהו. היינו בחבירו בתורה ומצות וכבר קיים בו מצות הוכח תוכיח את עמיתך עם שאתך בתורה ובמצות ואעפ"כ לא שב מחטאו כמ"ש בס' חרדים

אבל מי שאינו חבירו ואינו מקורב אצלו הנה ע"ז אמר הלל הזקן הוי מתלמידיו של אהרן אוהב שלום וכו' אוהב את הבריות ומקרבן לתורה. לומר שאף הרחוקים מתורת ה' ועבודתו ולכן נקראי' בשם בריות בעלמא צריך למשכן בחבלי עבותו' אהבה וכולי האי ואולי יוכל לקרבן לתורה ועבודת ה' והן לא לא הפסיד שכר מצות אהבת ריעים

וגם המקורבים אליו והוכיחם ולא שבו מעונותיהם שמצוה לשנאותם מצוה לאהבם ג"כ ושתיהן הן אמת שנאה מצד הרע שבהם ואהבה מצד בחי' הטוב הגנוז שבהם שהוא ניצוץ אלקות שבתוכם המחיה נפשם האלקית וגם לעורר רחמים בלבו עליה כי היא בבחי' גלות בתוך הרע מס"א הגובר עליה ברשעי' והרחמנות מבטלת השנאה ומעוררת האהבה כנודע ממ"ש ליעקב אשר פדה את אברהם [ולא אמר דה"עה תכלית שנאה שנאתים וגו' אלא על המינים והאפיקורסים שאין להם חלק באלהי ישראל כדאיתא בגמרא ר"פ ט"ז דשבת]:

« Last edited by yesitsme on May 21, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »

Author Topic: Lakewood Shabbos rally  (Read 152165 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood Shabbos rally
« Reply #440 on: May 20, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
Harsh accusation. Call him out on it if you're that sure and make him say who sent it.

You fail to see the irony in your post.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #441 on: May 20, 2015, 12:44:21 PM »
You fail to see the irony in your post.
Indeed, as I have no agenda here at all.  Didn't even open this thread until it was cross-posted by 1+1.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 20, 2015, 12:46:10 PM »
Indeed, as I have no agenda here at all.  Didn't even open this thread until it was cross-posted by 1+1.
Cross posted?

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 20, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
It says in the אור החיים הק that shabbos keeps you going a whole week, the Lakewood Shabbos rally thread is just going on & on.
["-"]

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 20, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »

I don't either. It could be a real text.
I just don't know why everyone is so quick to believe an alleged text from an anonymous rebbe from a guy with an agenda that publicly acts like a clown.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yakrot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 20, 2015, 12:55:35 PM »
I just don't know why everyone is so quick to believe a supposed text from an anonymous rebbe from a guy that publicly acts like a clown.
I thought harshly telling someone that thier kids will go off the derech was something reserved for anonymous forums online.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #446 on: May 20, 2015, 12:55:40 PM »
I just don't know why everyone is so quick to believe a supposed text from an anonymous rebbe from a guy with an agenda that publicly acts like a clown.
He posted a parody video. It's called humor.
That means he's a liar and a forger?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 20, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »

Just because I don't believe him doesn't mean I'm accusing him.
He's accusing a rebbe, who I'm guessing is also just as unlikely to be an idiot like that.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 20, 2015, 01:00:59 PM »
Just because I don't believe him doesn't mean I'm accusing him.
It does in my book.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #449 on: May 20, 2015, 01:04:24 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/TurxJake/videos/10204490460800799/
Whoa this guy seems to be quite unwell.
That's humor? Since when is acting like a nut and posting a video of it all over the Internet "humor"?

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: May 20, 2015, 01:04:41 PM »
I Agree theres a big difference bt making jokings and making up a crazy story with serious implications

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 20, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »
Whoa this guy seems to be quite unwell.
Because?

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #452 on: May 20, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »
Because?
Well most sane people don't video themselves acting stupid and post it for all the world to see, especially on such a controversial thing.
Even if he's right he's stupid to do it because he's going to get big backlash and won't accomplish anything.
And btw even if you think to they did the wrong thing making a mockery out of a peaceful shabbos protest isn't a very good idea either.

When did an issue of whether or not to protest public chillul shabbos become a joke? Humor has its place and time and this isn't it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 20, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »
Humor has its place and time and this isn't it.
Why not?

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 20, 2015, 01:12:29 PM »
I Agree theres a big difference bt making jokings and making up a crazy story with serious implications

So a rabbi texting something insane is 100% believable but a guy lying on the Internet is 100% unfathomable?
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 20, 2015, 01:13:46 PM »
So a rabbi texting something insane is 100% believable but a guy lying to the Internet is 100% unfathomable?
I've had Rabbis that I'd believe would say such a thing. Just takes no sense of a humor and a warped perception on frumkeit.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 20, 2015, 01:14:23 PM »
I've had Rabbis that I'd believe would say such a thing. Just takes no sense of a humor and a warped perception on frumkeit.

And you've never heard someone lie before?
Frum person?
Visibly Jewish

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 20, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »
So a rabbi texting something insane is 100% believable but a guy lying to the Internet is 100% unfathomable?
Didnt say either was unfathomable but unfortunately one surprises me a lot less then others

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 20, 2015, 01:14:52 PM »
Why not?
Um because this a serious issue of whether or not to protest public chillul shabbos and he's making a joke out of it. Where do you see room for humor here? Is nothing sacred? This is chilul shabbos here.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 20, 2015, 01:16:20 PM »
Didnt say either was unfathomable but unfortunately one surprises me a lot less then others
Who cares what "a rabbi" texted? Who is this-rav chain kanievsky? AFAIK it's some bird brain who has no more of a say that anyone else does. I can get you "a rabbi" to text you that eating treif is ok.