Topic Wiki

Top rated point of view
I hear both sides. While I am fairly certain that this will ultimately have a negative effect on the kids that were there, I understand that this protest was never intended to be for their benefit but rather to protest against public chilul shabbos. Is that a fair trade-off?

I did speak with a rabbi who I consider to be one of the world's foremost experts on helping OTD kids (and I have personal experience with way too many of them), and he was vehemently against it. He felt that a protest like this will cause significantly more kids to go off, as it now created an us-vs-them mentality that until now only simmered below the surface but is now being forced on them.

12 years ago I was ordered to leave Lakewood because of a (in hindsight) very trivial incident. Do you know what that type of ostracization does to an angry teenager? It makes them angrier and more eager to do the things that caused them to be ostracized in the first place. Some of these kids may have been only testing the waters, hanging out with friends who are much more brazen than them right now. Now they feel like they there's no return. Some of these kids have friends that they will now convince to join them who otherwise were only being mechalel shabbos behind closed doors. There are plenty of kids who are currently in yeshiva and looking the part, but also engaging in all forms of illicit activities including drugs and chilul shabbos. Many of these kids will now feel emboldened to join a "community" of like minded kids. Etc etc etc.

Chop off the limb to save the body, I get that concept even if I don't agree with it. But what about anything connected to that limb? This has consequences reaching far beyond the kids that were physically being mechalel shabbos at the  lake, and I don't think anyone thought about this beyond how it would affect the protesters and the protestees.

My 2 cents.

Lakewood shabbos DO (singing kah echsof in the park, while smoking electric cigarettes using a shabbos switch

Confirmed:
Grodnoking (Need a shabbos switch for my Ecig, who can bring one?)

Probable:

Impossible:
henche

תניא פרק ל"ב

ומ"ש בגמ' שמי שרואה בחבירו שחטא מצוה לשנאותו וגם לומר לרבו שישנאהו. היינו בחבירו בתורה ומצות וכבר קיים בו מצות הוכח תוכיח את עמיתך עם שאתך בתורה ובמצות ואעפ"כ לא שב מחטאו כמ"ש בס' חרדים

אבל מי שאינו חבירו ואינו מקורב אצלו הנה ע"ז אמר הלל הזקן הוי מתלמידיו של אהרן אוהב שלום וכו' אוהב את הבריות ומקרבן לתורה. לומר שאף הרחוקים מתורת ה' ועבודתו ולכן נקראי' בשם בריות בעלמא צריך למשכן בחבלי עבותו' אהבה וכולי האי ואולי יוכל לקרבן לתורה ועבודת ה' והן לא לא הפסיד שכר מצות אהבת ריעים

וגם המקורבים אליו והוכיחם ולא שבו מעונותיהם שמצוה לשנאותם מצוה לאהבם ג"כ ושתיהן הן אמת שנאה מצד הרע שבהם ואהבה מצד בחי' הטוב הגנוז שבהם שהוא ניצוץ אלקות שבתוכם המחיה נפשם האלקית וגם לעורר רחמים בלבו עליה כי היא בבחי' גלות בתוך הרע מס"א הגובר עליה ברשעי' והרחמנות מבטלת השנאה ומעוררת האהבה כנודע ממ"ש ליעקב אשר פדה את אברהם [ולא אמר דה"עה תכלית שנאה שנאתים וגו' אלא על המינים והאפיקורסים שאין להם חלק באלהי ישראל כדאיתא בגמרא ר"פ ט"ז דשבת]:

« Last edited by yesitsme on May 21, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »

Author Topic: Lakewood Shabbos rally  (Read 152713 times)

Offline PTU

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood Shabbos rally
« Reply #480 on: May 20, 2015, 01:56:41 PM »
Oh come on he was making a point!
What point? Publicly smearing and misrepresenting the facts that happened in order to justify his leitzonus is unforgivable.

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 20, 2015, 01:57:02 PM »
His attempt at explaining his actions by lying are possibly worse than his letzonus.
Don't know what you're referring to i guess i would have to read his comments but my general point still stands

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #482 on: May 20, 2015, 01:58:07 PM »
I didn't read the first 20 pages of this thread, but can someone fill me in on the point of the rally?
Was it to actually accomplish something (from the cell phone videos it seems that only the opposite happened)
Or is it that there had to be a macha'ah and this was the best idea people came up with?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 20, 2015, 02:00:10 PM »

I didn't read the first 20 pages of this thread, but can someone fill me in on the point of the rally?
Was it to actually accomplish something (from the cell phone videos it seems that only the opposite happened)
Or is it that there had to be a macha'ah and this was the best idea people came up with?

Probably the latter

If the point was to accomplish something it was not to help them just to chase them away
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline PTU

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 20, 2015, 02:00:38 PM »
To eliminate an area of town where kids felt comfortable sinning.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 20, 2015, 02:01:26 PM »
Well you just summed up the first 20 pages with out reading it

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 20, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »
Geez. You guys got to lighten up a little he prob was just trying to lighten up av tense atmosphere no-ones saying this isn't a very serious situation but humor helps us survive in a sad and tense world
you reminded me when,
I was in a delta plane 4 hours*2 at Ben Gurion on the terminal a brake was malfunctioning, I was laughing and cracking jokes........
A shvartza came over and asked "why are you so happy"
humor helps us survive in a sad and tense world
was my answer.
["-"]

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #487 on: May 20, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
Was actually going to ask similar...this thread honestly makes me sick.
Does anyone truly believe that by singing in these kids faces, a light bulb will go off in the back of their head and they will decide to become frum again?

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 20, 2015, 02:02:59 PM »
Correct me if i am wrong but i can feel venom dripping out of your posts

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 20, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »
Does anyone truly believe that by singing in these kids faces, a light bulb will go off in the back of their head and they will decide to become frum again?
The neighborhood would be better educated.
["-"]

Offline yakrot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 20, 2015, 02:06:54 PM »

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 20, 2015, 02:07:08 PM »
The neighborhood would be better educated.
And then what?

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 20, 2015, 02:07:18 PM »
Please let's not rehash the last 20 pages

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 20, 2015, 02:07:59 PM »
No, but future kids will be reluctant to go otd when they witness the way we treat SINNERS.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #494 on: May 20, 2015, 02:09:15 PM »
No, but future kids will be reluctant to go otd when they witness the way we treat SINNERS.
I guess you don't know kids...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #495 on: May 20, 2015, 02:09:18 PM »
So that they find another area? What was accomplished?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #496 on: May 20, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »

Those that are in favor come from both camps. Mostly the latter.

Not only did the opposite happen, but now larger counter protests are being planned, and it seems "OTD people" outside of Lakewood will be joining the counter protest against "the frummies," exacerbating the situation further. Color everyone shocked.

Oh, before you go, please know that if you believe the protest will not serve its intended purpose and will backfire, you are pro public chilul Shabbos. Also rape. Rape is involved somehow.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 20, 2015, 02:10:21 PM »

Correct me if i am wrong but i can feel venom dripping out of your posts
+10000000000
Who hurt you?

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #498 on: May 20, 2015, 02:10:42 PM »
Please let's not rehash the last 20 pages
Feel free to ignore. What else would you like to discuss that hasn't been discussed? ::)

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 20, 2015, 02:10:51 PM »
So that they find another area? What was accomplished?
Nothing good