Topic Wiki

Top rated point of view
I hear both sides. While I am fairly certain that this will ultimately have a negative effect on the kids that were there, I understand that this protest was never intended to be for their benefit but rather to protest against public chilul shabbos. Is that a fair trade-off?

I did speak with a rabbi who I consider to be one of the world's foremost experts on helping OTD kids (and I have personal experience with way too many of them), and he was vehemently against it. He felt that a protest like this will cause significantly more kids to go off, as it now created an us-vs-them mentality that until now only simmered below the surface but is now being forced on them.

12 years ago I was ordered to leave Lakewood because of a (in hindsight) very trivial incident. Do you know what that type of ostracization does to an angry teenager? It makes them angrier and more eager to do the things that caused them to be ostracized in the first place. Some of these kids may have been only testing the waters, hanging out with friends who are much more brazen than them right now. Now they feel like they there's no return. Some of these kids have friends that they will now convince to join them who otherwise were only being mechalel shabbos behind closed doors. There are plenty of kids who are currently in yeshiva and looking the part, but also engaging in all forms of illicit activities including drugs and chilul shabbos. Many of these kids will now feel emboldened to join a "community" of like minded kids. Etc etc etc.

Chop off the limb to save the body, I get that concept even if I don't agree with it. But what about anything connected to that limb? This has consequences reaching far beyond the kids that were physically being mechalel shabbos at the  lake, and I don't think anyone thought about this beyond how it would affect the protesters and the protestees.

My 2 cents.

Lakewood shabbos DO (singing kah echsof in the park, while smoking electric cigarettes using a shabbos switch

Confirmed:
Grodnoking (Need a shabbos switch for my Ecig, who can bring one?)

Probable:

Impossible:
henche

תניא פרק ל"ב

ומ"ש בגמ' שמי שרואה בחבירו שחטא מצוה לשנאותו וגם לומר לרבו שישנאהו. היינו בחבירו בתורה ומצות וכבר קיים בו מצות הוכח תוכיח את עמיתך עם שאתך בתורה ובמצות ואעפ"כ לא שב מחטאו כמ"ש בס' חרדים

אבל מי שאינו חבירו ואינו מקורב אצלו הנה ע"ז אמר הלל הזקן הוי מתלמידיו של אהרן אוהב שלום וכו' אוהב את הבריות ומקרבן לתורה. לומר שאף הרחוקים מתורת ה' ועבודתו ולכן נקראי' בשם בריות בעלמא צריך למשכן בחבלי עבותו' אהבה וכולי האי ואולי יוכל לקרבן לתורה ועבודת ה' והן לא לא הפסיד שכר מצות אהבת ריעים

וגם המקורבים אליו והוכיחם ולא שבו מעונותיהם שמצוה לשנאותם מצוה לאהבם ג"כ ושתיהן הן אמת שנאה מצד הרע שבהם ואהבה מצד בחי' הטוב הגנוז שבהם שהוא ניצוץ אלקות שבתוכם המחיה נפשם האלקית וגם לעורר רחמים בלבו עליה כי היא בבחי' גלות בתוך הרע מס"א הגובר עליה ברשעי' והרחמנות מבטלת השנאה ומעוררת האהבה כנודע ממ"ש ליעקב אשר פדה את אברהם [ולא אמר דה"עה תכלית שנאה שנאתים וגו' אלא על המינים והאפיקורסים שאין להם חלק באלהי ישראל כדאיתא בגמרא ר"פ ט"ז דשבת]:

« Last edited by yesitsme on May 21, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »

Author Topic: Lakewood Shabbos rally  (Read 152152 times)

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood Shabbos rally
« Reply #500 on: May 20, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »
Those that are in favor come from both camps. Mostly the latter.

Not only did the opposite happen, but now larger counter protests are being planned, and it seems "OTD people" outside of Lakewood will be joining the counter protest against "the frummies," exacerbating the situation further. Color everyone shocked.

Oh, before you go, please know that if you believe the protest will not serve its intended purpose and will backfire, you are pro public chilul Shabbos. Also rape. Rape is involved somehow.
And probably MO.

Offline yitrap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 20, 2015, 02:12:17 PM »
Those that are in favor come from both camps. Mostly the latter.

Not only did the opposite happen, but now larger counter protests are being planned, and it seems "OTD people" outside of Lakewood will be joining the counter protest against "the frummies," exacerbating the situation further. Color everyone shocked.

Oh, before you go, please know that if you believe the protest will not serve its intended purpose and will backfire, you are pro public chilul Shabbos. Also rape. Rape is involved somehow.
FTW WOW I'm AROFL

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 20, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
I guess you don't know kids...
I guess you dont know me

Offline PTU

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 20, 2015, 02:14:42 PM »
So that they find another area? What was accomplished?
We don't know where kids will go from here...
But as of now, we can't just walk by silently and leave them be. They don't feel comfortable doing what they do anywhere else.
The situation has become such that they feel like the lake is their turf, where everything is totally hefker.

How can you justify allowing this to continue? All the march is doing is taking away their precious sinning turf.

If they do CV go elsewhere we would have to deal with it then.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 20, 2015, 02:15:34 PM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #505 on: May 20, 2015, 02:16:49 PM »
But as of now, we can't just walk by silently and leave them be. They don't feel comfortable doing what they do anywhere else.
The situation has become such that they feel like the lake is their turf, where everything is totally hefker.

How can you justify allowing this to continue? All the march is doing is taking away their precious sinning turf.

I dunno, maybe invite them over for a shabbos meal or something?
Did you watch the videos of the rallies?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #506 on: May 20, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »
you reminded me when,
I was in a delta plane 4 hours*2 at Ben Gurion on the terminal a brake was malfunctioning, I was laughing and cracking jokes........
A shvartza came over and asked "why are you so happy"was my answer.
And the previous Lubavitcher Rebbe laughed at the Russians pointed a gun in his face.
And people danced in concentration camps.
Nothing wrong with a little laughter, Gd wants people to be happy.
Tracht gut vet zein gut.
L'chaim.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PTU

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 20, 2015, 02:19:58 PM »
We've invited them for meals, parties, get togethers, trips etc. Etc.

This is literally the last resort!

Yes I watched them. They were very warm and peaceful. No screaming, shrieking, threatening or anything else.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #508 on: May 20, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »

You sound like you have a very deep understanding of human nature.

Closing my favorite restaurant won't make me stop eating, it will just make me find another restaurant...

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 20, 2015, 02:20:22 PM »

You don't know, I and some of the others here do...they will stay there and make a bigger scene and commotion, why can't some people understand this?? you are taking a sad angry rebellious child and antagonizing him - what do you think is going to happen?

As avromie7 said at the begining they are at the park as opposed to doing it openly on the blocks they live on - some of these kids still respect their parents and although they are doing something wrong they will at least try to be a little more private about it not where every kid on their block knows who they are and what they're doing.

This cannot continue that's 100% correct no one ever said it can or should but there is a way to do it and this was not it.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 20, 2015, 02:22:35 PM »

Yes I watched them. They were very warm and peaceful. No screaming, shrieking, threatening or anything else.
You being part of the We've?
How is this the last resort? and being that you claim it is now that the last resort failed I guess you'll just walk away considering there is no other options...

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 20, 2015, 02:24:27 PM »
I have a theory which i repeated here a few times and has proven true here and with the many other people i've spoken to, not a single person who knows any of those kids thinks that something useful will come out of this, it's only those who do not know any of them and don't understand the situation who believe anything positive can come out of this
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #512 on: May 20, 2015, 02:25:19 PM »

This line of reasoning makes me laugh (and cry).

Reminds me of a story I heard from someone who used to be a dorm counselor in a Chabad Yeshivah for imigrant boys in Israel. Between the list of rules that was hanging in the dorm was the Tznius Rule" that the boys should only undress in the bathroom or under a blanket. One day the dorm councellor comes in and sees one of the boys prancing around in his birthday suit, he calls out to him "David, Tzniut?", the boy, without beating an eyelash
 "אבל המדריך, עשיתי צניעות כבר"...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:34:41 PM by Achas Veachas »

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 20, 2015, 02:27:46 PM »
This line of reasoning makes me laugh (and cry), reminds me of a story I heard from someone who used to be a dorm counselor in a Chabad Yeshivah for imigrant boys in Israel. Between the list of rules that was hanging in the dorm was the Tznius Rule" that the boys should only undress in the bathroom or under a blanket. One day the dorm councellor comes in and sees one of the boys prancing around in his birthday suit, he calls out to him "David, Tzniut?", the boy, without beating an eyelash "Aval Hamadrich, Asiti Tzniut Kvar"...
Makes me want to just cry

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 20, 2015, 02:28:12 PM »
This line of reasoning makes me laugh (and cry), reminds me of a story I heard from someone who used to be a dorm counselor in a Chabad Yeshivah for imigrant boys in Israel. Between the list of rules that was hanging in the dorm was the Tznius Rule" that the boys should only undress in the bathroom or under a blanket. One day the dorm councellor comes in and sees one of the boys prancing around in his birthday suit, he calls out to him "David, Tzniut?", the boy, without beating an eyelash "Aval Hamadrich, Asiti Tzniut Kvar"...
along the same lines...

One of my Rabbiyum says over that another Rebbi came to him to ask him some tricks, he responded that there is no tricks he just gives love and more love, the person responded "yeah we tried the love thing- it didn't work for us"

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #515 on: May 20, 2015, 02:33:42 PM »
along the same lines...

Yeah that story first reminded me of it, I just didn't post it until now.

Offline PTU

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 20, 2015, 02:35:29 PM »
You being part of the We've?
How is this the last resort? and being that you claim it is now that the last resort failed I guess you'll just walk away considering there is no other options...
How did it fail? Cuz kids are mad that they we are not "chilled and accepting enough"?

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 20, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
How did it fail? Cuz kids are mad that they we are not "chilled and accepting enough"?
Did you not see the counter protest? I said from the beginning they will win this game they are a lot more stubborn I will put money down they outlast the protests
You forgot to answer my first question.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 20, 2015, 02:38:29 PM »
When you have a problem you need to find a solution to the problem, if the solution does not solve any problem its not a solution so find a real solution not one that can only be thought of by those who don't know what the problem really is
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Racer7400

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 20, 2015, 02:42:43 PM »
not that i actually have any experience with kiruv but i have been around kiruv enough (almost all my life) to know that the only way to get through to people who are like this is with a lot of patience love and kindness throwing something in there face even done nicely will not work.