Topic Wiki

Top rated point of view
I hear both sides. While I am fairly certain that this will ultimately have a negative effect on the kids that were there, I understand that this protest was never intended to be for their benefit but rather to protest against public chilul shabbos. Is that a fair trade-off?

I did speak with a rabbi who I consider to be one of the world's foremost experts on helping OTD kids (and I have personal experience with way too many of them), and he was vehemently against it. He felt that a protest like this will cause significantly more kids to go off, as it now created an us-vs-them mentality that until now only simmered below the surface but is now being forced on them.

12 years ago I was ordered to leave Lakewood because of a (in hindsight) very trivial incident. Do you know what that type of ostracization does to an angry teenager? It makes them angrier and more eager to do the things that caused them to be ostracized in the first place. Some of these kids may have been only testing the waters, hanging out with friends who are much more brazen than them right now. Now they feel like they there's no return. Some of these kids have friends that they will now convince to join them who otherwise were only being mechalel shabbos behind closed doors. There are plenty of kids who are currently in yeshiva and looking the part, but also engaging in all forms of illicit activities including drugs and chilul shabbos. Many of these kids will now feel emboldened to join a "community" of like minded kids. Etc etc etc.

Chop off the limb to save the body, I get that concept even if I don't agree with it. But what about anything connected to that limb? This has consequences reaching far beyond the kids that were physically being mechalel shabbos at the  lake, and I don't think anyone thought about this beyond how it would affect the protesters and the protestees.

My 2 cents.

Lakewood shabbos DO (singing kah echsof in the park, while smoking electric cigarettes using a shabbos switch

Confirmed:
Grodnoking (Need a shabbos switch for my Ecig, who can bring one?)

Probable:

Impossible:
henche

תניא פרק ל"ב

ומ"ש בגמ' שמי שרואה בחבירו שחטא מצוה לשנאותו וגם לומר לרבו שישנאהו. היינו בחבירו בתורה ומצות וכבר קיים בו מצות הוכח תוכיח את עמיתך עם שאתך בתורה ובמצות ואעפ"כ לא שב מחטאו כמ"ש בס' חרדים

אבל מי שאינו חבירו ואינו מקורב אצלו הנה ע"ז אמר הלל הזקן הוי מתלמידיו של אהרן אוהב שלום וכו' אוהב את הבריות ומקרבן לתורה. לומר שאף הרחוקים מתורת ה' ועבודתו ולכן נקראי' בשם בריות בעלמא צריך למשכן בחבלי עבותו' אהבה וכולי האי ואולי יוכל לקרבן לתורה ועבודת ה' והן לא לא הפסיד שכר מצות אהבת ריעים

וגם המקורבים אליו והוכיחם ולא שבו מעונותיהם שמצוה לשנאותם מצוה לאהבם ג"כ ושתיהן הן אמת שנאה מצד הרע שבהם ואהבה מצד בחי' הטוב הגנוז שבהם שהוא ניצוץ אלקות שבתוכם המחיה נפשם האלקית וגם לעורר רחמים בלבו עליה כי היא בבחי' גלות בתוך הרע מס"א הגובר עליה ברשעי' והרחמנות מבטלת השנאה ומעוררת האהבה כנודע ממ"ש ליעקב אשר פדה את אברהם [ולא אמר דה"עה תכלית שנאה שנאתים וגו' אלא על המינים והאפיקורסים שאין להם חלק באלהי ישראל כדאיתא בגמרא ר"פ ט"ז דשבת]:

« Last edited by yesitsme on May 21, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »

Author Topic: Lakewood Shabbos rally  (Read 152812 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Lakewood Shabbos rally
« Reply #780 on: May 21, 2015, 01:21:19 PM »
@Aj3042 I am totally not following this thread, but you are saying people are willing to break halacha when all they are saying is you shouldn't protest. You are adding things to other peoples logic that doesn't exist.

It's like me saying Aj thinks protesting is good so he also thinks that punching them is good, but punching is against halacha, so Aj is wrong and no one can explain why he's not.

Maybe because no one holds that, and that's why no one is answering your questions, you made them up.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline PTU

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 21, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
If they're getting into drugs, it could also mean they physical lives R"L.
Now you mentioned the elephant in the room, the rampant heroin epidemic in Lakewood.

We must do everything in our power to keep kids who are on the fringe away from the diseased groups.
This is truly pikuach nefesh!

Offline yakrot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 21, 2015, 01:21:33 PM »
If they're getting into drugs, it could also mean they physical lives R"L.
In my experience rov of teens off the derech in lkwd are doing drugs.

Offline yitrap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 21, 2015, 01:22:40 PM »

In my experience rov of teens off the derech in lkwd are doing drugs.
Kid in the second video at the beginning is ridiculously high.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 21, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »
@Aj3042 I am totally not following this thread, but you are saying people are willing to break halacha when all they are saying is you shouldn't protest. You are adding things to other peoples logic that doesn't exist.

It's like me saying Aj thinks protesting is good so he also thinks that punching them is good, but punching is against halacha, so Aj is wrong and no one can explain why he's not.

Maybe because no one holds that, and that's why no one is answering your questions, you made them up.
It's called a straw man argument. We've already established he does not know what that means
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 21, 2015, 01:23:53 PM »
Kid in the second video at the beginning is ridiculously high.
Ever been anywhere in lkwd the "in look"  is jeans and and an incredibly high facial expression

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 21, 2015, 01:24:45 PM »
Ever been anywhere in lkwd the "in look"  is jeans and and an incredibly high facial expression
Are you saying he's faking it or are you saying all kids in lakewood are high?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #787 on: May 21, 2015, 01:25:21 PM »
Now you mentioned the elephant in the room, the rampant heroin epidemic in Lakewood.

We must do everything in our power to keep kids who are on the fringe away from the diseased groups.
This is truly pikuach nefesh!
So that's why you bring your kids down to see them in their element, smoking, using their cell phones, and cursing on shabbos? 
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 21, 2015, 01:25:51 PM »
Are you saying he's faking it or are you saying all kids in lakewood are high?
I'm saying a large amount of the at risk kids in Lakewood are truly in a different state of mind.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 21, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »
So that's why you bring your kids down to see them in their element, smoking, using their cell phones, and cursing on shabbos?
No no no it was for kovod shabbos we need to show them we wont stand for it

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 21, 2015, 01:26:46 PM »
I'm saying a large amount of the at risk kids in Lakewood are truly in a different state of mind.
Oh definitely i'm just pointing out one of them

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #791 on: May 21, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
do any of you actually believe that it is pikuach nefesh in the sense that it is doche kol hatorah?
Believe or not they seem to be saying that.
Dan I found a flight for you from CLE on shabbos so you can fly in for the shabbos DO. Remember, it's pikuach nefesh.

Offline PTU

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 21, 2015, 01:26:59 PM »
One should absolutely NOT bring kids to the march.
Those that do are clearly missing screws IMHO.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #793 on: May 21, 2015, 01:27:06 PM »
No no no it was for kovod shabbos we need to show them we wont stand for it
Doesn't look like it worked.  Maybe bring stones next time so they get the message?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 21, 2015, 01:27:37 PM »
One should absolutely NOT bring kids to the march.
Those that do are clearly missing screws IMHO.
The crowd was full of kids and teens.  Good thing this rally will keep them sheltered.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #795 on: May 21, 2015, 01:28:22 PM »
Doesn't look like it worked.  Maybe bring stones next time so they get the message?
We don't even need to set them aside before shabbos since aj is now deadset on everyone being mechalel shabbos letoeles

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 21, 2015, 01:28:31 PM »
Aha ok so I'll meet you at the mall this shabbos. You drive an OTD teen there I'll drive another.
Anybody else in? Shabbos DO at the mall? Everybody drive and bring an OTD teen-it's for kiruv and it's pikuach nefesh so it's all good. We're just trying to keep them away from bad influneces so the whole Torah is off.Ok so you're in for the DO too. We got 3 so far-anybody else in???
For someone that was adamant about not bringing emotions into a logical argument..

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 21, 2015, 01:28:45 PM »
Believe or not they seem to be saying that.
Dan I found a flight for you from CLE on shabbos so you can fly in for the shabbos DO. Remember, it's pikuach nefesh.
I want to go next shabbos to view the anti-frum Vs frum rally.
Should be a real kiddush hashem.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #798 on: May 21, 2015, 01:29:20 PM »

No what I'm saying is that if protesting public chillul shabbos done to flaunt is is a good thing then the fact that it will anger OTD teens is irrelevant.
It's called a straw man argument. We've already established he does not know what that means
This is actually the tin man. Or is the gold man?
Do you know how to talk on the point or is talking about straw your thing?

Offline PTU

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 21, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »
The crowd was full of kids and teens.
That was a terrible oversite by the organizers. The needed to put on the signs "for adults only". (For those who are just mind numbingly naive enough to bring their teens along)