Topic Wiki

Top rated point of view
I hear both sides. While I am fairly certain that this will ultimately have a negative effect on the kids that were there, I understand that this protest was never intended to be for their benefit but rather to protest against public chilul shabbos. Is that a fair trade-off?

I did speak with a rabbi who I consider to be one of the world's foremost experts on helping OTD kids (and I have personal experience with way too many of them), and he was vehemently against it. He felt that a protest like this will cause significantly more kids to go off, as it now created an us-vs-them mentality that until now only simmered below the surface but is now being forced on them.

12 years ago I was ordered to leave Lakewood because of a (in hindsight) very trivial incident. Do you know what that type of ostracization does to an angry teenager? It makes them angrier and more eager to do the things that caused them to be ostracized in the first place. Some of these kids may have been only testing the waters, hanging out with friends who are much more brazen than them right now. Now they feel like they there's no return. Some of these kids have friends that they will now convince to join them who otherwise were only being mechalel shabbos behind closed doors. There are plenty of kids who are currently in yeshiva and looking the part, but also engaging in all forms of illicit activities including drugs and chilul shabbos. Many of these kids will now feel emboldened to join a "community" of like minded kids. Etc etc etc.

Chop off the limb to save the body, I get that concept even if I don't agree with it. But what about anything connected to that limb? This has consequences reaching far beyond the kids that were physically being mechalel shabbos at the  lake, and I don't think anyone thought about this beyond how it would affect the protesters and the protestees.

My 2 cents.

Lakewood shabbos DO (singing kah echsof in the park, while smoking electric cigarettes using a shabbos switch

Confirmed:
Grodnoking (Need a shabbos switch for my Ecig, who can bring one?)

Probable:

Impossible:
henche

תניא פרק ל"ב

ומ"ש בגמ' שמי שרואה בחבירו שחטא מצוה לשנאותו וגם לומר לרבו שישנאהו. היינו בחבירו בתורה ומצות וכבר קיים בו מצות הוכח תוכיח את עמיתך עם שאתך בתורה ובמצות ואעפ"כ לא שב מחטאו כמ"ש בס' חרדים

אבל מי שאינו חבירו ואינו מקורב אצלו הנה ע"ז אמר הלל הזקן הוי מתלמידיו של אהרן אוהב שלום וכו' אוהב את הבריות ומקרבן לתורה. לומר שאף הרחוקים מתורת ה' ועבודתו ולכן נקראי' בשם בריות בעלמא צריך למשכן בחבלי עבותו' אהבה וכולי האי ואולי יוכל לקרבן לתורה ועבודת ה' והן לא לא הפסיד שכר מצות אהבת ריעים

וגם המקורבים אליו והוכיחם ולא שבו מעונותיהם שמצוה לשנאותם מצוה לאהבם ג"כ ושתיהן הן אמת שנאה מצד הרע שבהם ואהבה מצד בחי' הטוב הגנוז שבהם שהוא ניצוץ אלקות שבתוכם המחיה נפשם האלקית וגם לעורר רחמים בלבו עליה כי היא בבחי' גלות בתוך הרע מס"א הגובר עליה ברשעי' והרחמנות מבטלת השנאה ומעוררת האהבה כנודע ממ"ש ליעקב אשר פדה את אברהם [ולא אמר דה"עה תכלית שנאה שנאתים וגו' אלא על המינים והאפיקורסים שאין להם חלק באלהי ישראל כדאיתא בגמרא ר"פ ט"ז דשבת]:

« Last edited by yesitsme on May 21, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »

Author Topic: Lakewood Shabbos rally  (Read 152797 times)

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood Shabbos rally
« Reply #840 on: May 21, 2015, 02:47:12 PM »
Your rebbeim? Who are they? Why should I or anyone else listen to them? Are you telling me Rav Moshe Feinstein told you this, an accepted authority, or was it some Joe Shmoe you think is smarter than you and so you?
Seriously "my rebbeim"? At least Achas brings down from his Rebbes so we know who' saying what.
You asked me where i got that from i didn't say that Was the reason you should stop or believe anything

Understood-but who says that changes anything? You do-you need to back yourself up then with clear proof (and one hearsay from one rebbe doesn't cut it, sorry).
And btw don't act like many of the "underlying causes" today didn't have any effect then. Almost all the "reasons" people go OTD today existed then as well. They may have been going into ideology but thee same way we ascribe today's OTD's to underlying causes we can do it with them as well.

Really? So molestation was an underlying cause then? How about bad parenting? How about extreme insensitivity to individual children's needs in yeshivas?

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 21, 2015, 02:51:33 PM »
No but you can't say this it's not politically correct.You know when I ask you a question I expect an answer based on reason or based on source. Telling someone "My Reeeebi told me this" is just being a robot. If you can't think logically on your own and present your evidence don't argue. Have your rebbi here arguing.
Reason was assumed obvious therefore i figured you were asking for a source so if its from a written source than its fine but if its frim my rebbeim who are my daas Torah and a chain in mesorah than i am a robot?

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #842 on: May 21, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »
You asked me where i got that from i didn't say that Was the reason you should stop or believe anything

Really? So molestation was an underlying cause then? How about bad parenting? How about extreme insensitivity to individual children's needs in yeshivas?
Um you think molestation didn't happen then? What makes you so sure?
Bad parenting-yeah fathers would beat their kids if they didn't keep shabbos. Is that the bad parenting you refer to? Seriously people were crazy harsh then. If a father would act with his kid the way they used to you'd yell that he's pushing him OTD.
Most kids didn't go to yeshiva then and no they didn't have doting rebbeim over them all day as they worked in the blacksmith shop.
come on get real. Life then was really tough not like today.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #843 on: May 21, 2015, 02:55:58 PM »
Reason was assumed obvious therefore i figured you were asking for a source so if its from a written source than its fine but if its frim my rebbeim who are my daas Torah and a chain in mesorah than i am a robot?
Your rebbe is daas torah and a chain in the mesorah? I know plenty of american joe shmoes who claim the same. Who's your rebbe? Unless he's a really accepted authority his opinion mean nothing to anyone but those who accept him.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 21, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »

Understood-but who says that changes anything? You do-you need to back yourself up then with clear proof (and one hearsay from one rebbe doesn't cut it, sorry).
And btw don't act like many of the "underlying causes" today didn't have any effect then. Almost all the "reasons" people go OTD today existed then as well. They may have been going into ideology but thee same way we ascribe today's OTD's to underlying causes we can do it with them as well.

Totally wrong. In the olden days it was done so they could be worldly and get out of shtetl life which was viewed as backwards. Nowadays, you can you be Frum and still go to university and the like.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 21, 2015, 02:57:55 PM »

Your rebbe is daas torah and a chain in the mesorah? I know plenty of american joe shmoes who claim the same. Who's your rebbe? Unless he's a really accepted authority his opinion mean nothing to anyone but those who accept him.

You make it sound that there are Daas Torah that are universally accepted. Keep dreaming.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 21, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 21, 2015, 03:01:14 PM »
Um you think molestation didn't happen then? What makes you so sure?
Bad parenting-yeah fathers would beat their kids if they didn't keep shabbos. Is that the bad parenting you refer to? Seriously people were crazy harsh then. If a father would act with his kid the way they used to you'd yell that he's pushing him OTD.
Most kids didn't go to yeshiva then and no they didn't have doting rebbeim over them all day as they worked in the blacksmith shop.
come on get real. Life then was really tough not like today.
Im going to follow my own advice
If he needed that explained then there's no point in arguing with him and if he didn't need that explained then he was being disingenuous and again there's no point in arguing....

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 21, 2015, 03:15:48 PM »
You make it sound that there are Daas Torah that are universally accepted. Keep dreaming.
I did not. But some people's views you have to stop and listen to while others are totally relevant.
Im going to follow my own advice
Nobody told you not to. I just told you not to expect your rebbi's advice or opinions (whoever he is) to carry any weight with others.

Offline asd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 21, 2015, 03:22:46 PM »
This is a post from from Ben Turin a lawyer in Lakewood on FB-  It may have been clumsy, however, I believe the efforts stemmed from a deep felt sense of caring. I have heard a number of first-hand reports from individuals that were there, that following the initial "march", there was a great deal of positive one on one interaction including some of the Lakewood rabbis hanging out with the kids for an extended period of time and talking. Equally interesting, I personally am aware of a number of grass-roots initiatives have taken root in the few days since.
 As an example of the efforts I mentioned in my earlier post, Oorah has received a number of requests from local individuals for assistance in putting together programming for Lakewood youth who are disenchanted with the "main-stream" community.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 21, 2015, 03:27:56 PM »

I did not. But some people's views you have to stop and listen to while others are totally relevant.Nobody told you not to. I just told you not to expect your rebbi's advice or opinions (whoever he is) to carry any weight with others.

You did not follow that....

Offline PTU

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 21, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
This is a post from from Ben Turin a lawyer in Lakewood on FB-  It may have been clumsy, however, I believe the efforts stemmed from a deep felt sense of caring. I have heard a number of first-hand reports from individuals that were there, that following the initial "march", there was a great deal of positive one on one interaction including some of the Lakewood rabbis hanging out with the kids for an extended period of time and talking. Equally interesting, I personally am aware of a number of grass-roots initiatives have taken root in the few days since.
 As an example of the efforts I mentioned in my earlier post, Oorah has received a number of requests from local individuals for assistance in putting together programming for Lakewood youth who are disenchanted with the "main-stream" community.
+1

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 21, 2015, 04:43:41 PM »
+1
R u somehow trying to connect that to your arguments?

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 21, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »

It doesn't matter what Ben Turin thinks. 
Avromie7 already decided it was an epic failure, regardless of my report otherwise.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 21, 2015, 06:09:45 PM »
Avromie7 already decided it was an epic failure, regardless of my report otherwise.
Haha

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 21, 2015, 07:32:25 PM »

Haha
You can't have it both ways. You cant spend days arguing that it's irrelevant what happens to the otd kids as a result of the protest and then try to use some positive result to the otd kids as support for your position

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #856 on: May 21, 2015, 07:38:24 PM »
You can't have it both ways. You cant spend days arguing that it's irrelevant what happens to the otd kids as a result of the protest and then try to use some positive result to the otd kids as support for your position
I guess your premise that anyone who was for the gathering couldn't care less about the kids was wrong. Probably just as wrong as saying that those who are against it couldn't care less about shabbos.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 21, 2015, 07:42:30 PM »
I guess your premise that anyone who was for the gathering couldn't care less about the kids was wrong. Probably just as wrong as saying that those who are against it couldn't care less about shabbos.
That's like saying when assad used chemical weapons it was good because that caused others to get involved and help the Syrian citizens oppressed by his regime
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 21, 2015, 07:48:47 PM »
Indeed I made no mention of that point bec I don't think it is directly relevant (though it does show that even if we are taking them into consideration you still may be wrong). I was merely responding to his joke which was well put.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #859 on: May 21, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »
That's like saying when assad used chemical weapons it was good because that caused others to get involved and help the Syrian citizens oppressed by his regime
Fine, if you insist. So you don't care about shabbos.
Feelings don't care about your facts