Topic Wiki

Top rated point of view
I hear both sides. While I am fairly certain that this will ultimately have a negative effect on the kids that were there, I understand that this protest was never intended to be for their benefit but rather to protest against public chilul shabbos. Is that a fair trade-off?

I did speak with a rabbi who I consider to be one of the world's foremost experts on helping OTD kids (and I have personal experience with way too many of them), and he was vehemently against it. He felt that a protest like this will cause significantly more kids to go off, as it now created an us-vs-them mentality that until now only simmered below the surface but is now being forced on them.

12 years ago I was ordered to leave Lakewood because of a (in hindsight) very trivial incident. Do you know what that type of ostracization does to an angry teenager? It makes them angrier and more eager to do the things that caused them to be ostracized in the first place. Some of these kids may have been only testing the waters, hanging out with friends who are much more brazen than them right now. Now they feel like they there's no return. Some of these kids have friends that they will now convince to join them who otherwise were only being mechalel shabbos behind closed doors. There are plenty of kids who are currently in yeshiva and looking the part, but also engaging in all forms of illicit activities including drugs and chilul shabbos. Many of these kids will now feel emboldened to join a "community" of like minded kids. Etc etc etc.

Chop off the limb to save the body, I get that concept even if I don't agree with it. But what about anything connected to that limb? This has consequences reaching far beyond the kids that were physically being mechalel shabbos at the  lake, and I don't think anyone thought about this beyond how it would affect the protesters and the protestees.

My 2 cents.

Lakewood shabbos DO (singing kah echsof in the park, while smoking electric cigarettes using a shabbos switch

Confirmed:
Grodnoking (Need a shabbos switch for my Ecig, who can bring one?)

Probable:

Impossible:
henche

תניא פרק ל"ב

ומ"ש בגמ' שמי שרואה בחבירו שחטא מצוה לשנאותו וגם לומר לרבו שישנאהו. היינו בחבירו בתורה ומצות וכבר קיים בו מצות הוכח תוכיח את עמיתך עם שאתך בתורה ובמצות ואעפ"כ לא שב מחטאו כמ"ש בס' חרדים

אבל מי שאינו חבירו ואינו מקורב אצלו הנה ע"ז אמר הלל הזקן הוי מתלמידיו של אהרן אוהב שלום וכו' אוהב את הבריות ומקרבן לתורה. לומר שאף הרחוקים מתורת ה' ועבודתו ולכן נקראי' בשם בריות בעלמא צריך למשכן בחבלי עבותו' אהבה וכולי האי ואולי יוכל לקרבן לתורה ועבודת ה' והן לא לא הפסיד שכר מצות אהבת ריעים

וגם המקורבים אליו והוכיחם ולא שבו מעונותיהם שמצוה לשנאותם מצוה לאהבם ג"כ ושתיהן הן אמת שנאה מצד הרע שבהם ואהבה מצד בחי' הטוב הגנוז שבהם שהוא ניצוץ אלקות שבתוכם המחיה נפשם האלקית וגם לעורר רחמים בלבו עליה כי היא בבחי' גלות בתוך הרע מס"א הגובר עליה ברשעי' והרחמנות מבטלת השנאה ומעוררת האהבה כנודע ממ"ש ליעקב אשר פדה את אברהם [ולא אמר דה"עה תכלית שנאה שנאתים וגו' אלא על המינים והאפיקורסים שאין להם חלק באלהי ישראל כדאיתא בגמרא ר"פ ט"ז דשבת]:

« Last edited by yesitsme on May 21, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »

Author Topic: Lakewood Shabbos rally  (Read 152667 times)

Offline PTU

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood Shabbos rally
« Reply #560 on: May 20, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
I pray that you never ever have to deal with a child like this....

.....because as hard as it is for anyone to handle, I think you'd do a horrible job!
As I posted up thread, at a certain stage, the poor lost puppy who just needs to be loved and understood, turns into a ferocious street dog that sometimes needs to be contained a little.

In other words, of course we should try to be "chilled and understanding", "live and let live" or shower them with love, parties, etc.
But there is a point where just a little push back is warranted.
They cannot defy everything that is holy befarhesya.
They are not entitled to have their own territory where they can do everything they want unchecked.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #561 on: May 20, 2015, 03:25:15 PM »
Not sure what that has to do with anything but you still have not answered it, nor can you.
And you didn't answer what I asked of you, so now we're even.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yitrap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 20, 2015, 03:25:29 PM »
As I posted up thread, at a certain stage, the poor lost puppy who just needs to be loved and understood, turns into a ferocious street dog that sometimes needs to be contained a little.

In other words, of course we should try to be "chilled and understanding", "live and let live" or shower them with love, parties, etc.
They are not entitled to have their own territory where they can do everything they want unchecked.

"The ferocious street dog" wasn't contained, it was poked with a stick...and ferocious street dogs that are poked bite...
Eta- the issue is that they are doing what they are doing, if your goal is to get them to stop- this is not the way, if your goal is to tell them you disapprove of what they are doing- this is still not the way...so what was the goal

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #563 on: May 20, 2015, 03:26:02 PM »

You're right. Time for Jihad!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PTU

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 20, 2015, 03:27:07 PM »
Calling a peaceful march by rabbis singing zemiros jihad is simply crazy

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #565 on: May 20, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »
What some people here don't want to accept is that the same way we need to take care of OTD kids we need to take care of ourselves too. We need to come out and publicly show that their behavior is not acceptable. Whether or not that is in the best interests of those kids is irrelevant. It's in the best interests of ourselves and our kids-we need to show that public chillul shabbos will not be accepted and that its not OK. Believe it or not the whole torah doesn't come down to how to handle OTD kids. There are other issues at hand as well. We need to take care of ourselves too.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 20, 2015, 03:28:01 PM »
Can we call it a crusade? I like the sound of that better

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #567 on: May 20, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »
Well your'e upsetting the (disrespectful of us) OTD kids. Isn't that the very definition of jihad?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 20, 2015, 03:29:41 PM »
Zemiros isn't far enough. Time to bring back corporal punishment. 

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 20, 2015, 03:29:57 PM »
What some people here don't want to accept is that the same way we need to take care of OTD kids we need to take care of ourselves too. We need to come out and publicly show that their behavior is not acceptable. Whether or not that is in the best interests of those kids is irrelevant. It's in the best interests of ourselves and our kids-we need to show that public chillul shabbos will not be accepted and that its not OK. Believe it or not the whole torah doesn't come down to how to handle OTD kids. There are other issues at hand as well. We need to take care of ourselves too.
That is not the way to teach our kids kovod shabbos and definitely not the way to teach them kovod habriyos...
The amount of unhealthy exposure these kids got from one shabbos afternoon is shocking

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: May 20, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »
So you're pushing them even further away and are attempting to cause further anti-frum sentiment for your own selfish reasons?
Cool story. Awesome hashkafa.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 20, 2015, 03:31:52 PM »
That is not the way to teach our kids kovod shabbos and definitely not the way to teach them kovod habriyos...
The amount of unhealthy exposure these kids got from one shabbos afternoon is shocking
That's a personal opinion, and a pacifist one at that. but as long as you're saying that and not discussing what the OTD kids think about it we have what to talk about.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 20, 2015, 03:32:14 PM »
Just a general insight, not directed at anyone in particular:

There's loving someone because of who they already are and there's loving someone in order to change them. The irony is that the former may have the power to may change them but the latter does not. The explanation may be that the former is love while the latter is not. Love is not barter or manipulation or emotional blackmail (heh, now you owe me!) When we love people in that kind of way, we invariably come to hate them.

I'm not saying this about "kiruv" per se. I mean life in general.

Offline PTU

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 20, 2015, 03:32:18 PM »
Zemiros isn't far enough. Time to bring back corporal punishment.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 20, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »
So you're pushing them even further away and are attempting to cause further anti-frum sentiment for your own selfish reasons?
Again, the whole torah doesn't come down to how to handle OTD kids. Ever heard of chayecha kodmin? Don't make it sound like these OTD kids take precedence over your own. Your main job is to keep your family on the derech, not the whole world.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #575 on: May 20, 2015, 03:35:10 PM »
Or they will stop hiding by the lake and instead sit right in the middle of their development
They left their developments because they made to feel uncomfortable there albeit on a much lower scale.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 20, 2015, 03:35:56 PM »
Your use of the word selfish is so off it's crazy. If you have a choice between teaching your kids to keep shabbos or teaching it to some random OTD kids i think we all know where your responsibilities lie. Don't throw around these terms that cloud the issue.
They left their developments because they made to feel uncomfortable there albeit on a much lower scale.
Good point. Let's here what the enlightened and "tolerant" (of chillul shabbos and OTD) folks answer to that.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 20, 2015, 03:36:37 PM »
Again, the whole torah doesn't come down to how to handle OTD kids. Ever heard of chayecha kodmin? Don't make it sound like these OTD kids take precedence over your own. Your main job is to keep your family on the derech, not the whole world.
As long as you keep believing that you will have to build taller and taller walls. Ironically self-fulfilling prophecy.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 20, 2015, 03:37:02 PM »
Yup, that's why there are 5,000 shluchim living in remote corners of the earth. Because they're selfish and chayecha kodmin. 
Our job is to be Avraham, not Noach.

Kids are far more impressed and will be better Jews when their parents invite someone OTD for chicken soup and divrei torah then by the videos of the rally that I saw.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 20, 2015, 03:37:29 PM »
That's a personal opinion, and a pacifist one at that. but as long as you're saying that and not discussing what the OTD kids think about it we have what to talk about.
If you think the reason for the march was to show their own children that it's unacceptable and we won't stand for it I'm happy to debate you there as well...
It's been said upthread but there are many ways that are much better to be mechanech children about kovod shabbos and loving shabbos and even to make a Macho then marching the lake singing about shabbos.