Topic Wiki

Top rated point of view
I hear both sides. While I am fairly certain that this will ultimately have a negative effect on the kids that were there, I understand that this protest was never intended to be for their benefit but rather to protest against public chilul shabbos. Is that a fair trade-off?

I did speak with a rabbi who I consider to be one of the world's foremost experts on helping OTD kids (and I have personal experience with way too many of them), and he was vehemently against it. He felt that a protest like this will cause significantly more kids to go off, as it now created an us-vs-them mentality that until now only simmered below the surface but is now being forced on them.

12 years ago I was ordered to leave Lakewood because of a (in hindsight) very trivial incident. Do you know what that type of ostracization does to an angry teenager? It makes them angrier and more eager to do the things that caused them to be ostracized in the first place. Some of these kids may have been only testing the waters, hanging out with friends who are much more brazen than them right now. Now they feel like they there's no return. Some of these kids have friends that they will now convince to join them who otherwise were only being mechalel shabbos behind closed doors. There are plenty of kids who are currently in yeshiva and looking the part, but also engaging in all forms of illicit activities including drugs and chilul shabbos. Many of these kids will now feel emboldened to join a "community" of like minded kids. Etc etc etc.

Chop off the limb to save the body, I get that concept even if I don't agree with it. But what about anything connected to that limb? This has consequences reaching far beyond the kids that were physically being mechalel shabbos at the  lake, and I don't think anyone thought about this beyond how it would affect the protesters and the protestees.

My 2 cents.

Lakewood shabbos DO (singing kah echsof in the park, while smoking electric cigarettes using a shabbos switch

Confirmed:
Grodnoking (Need a shabbos switch for my Ecig, who can bring one?)

Probable:

Impossible:
henche

תניא פרק ל"ב

ומ"ש בגמ' שמי שרואה בחבירו שחטא מצוה לשנאותו וגם לומר לרבו שישנאהו. היינו בחבירו בתורה ומצות וכבר קיים בו מצות הוכח תוכיח את עמיתך עם שאתך בתורה ובמצות ואעפ"כ לא שב מחטאו כמ"ש בס' חרדים

אבל מי שאינו חבירו ואינו מקורב אצלו הנה ע"ז אמר הלל הזקן הוי מתלמידיו של אהרן אוהב שלום וכו' אוהב את הבריות ומקרבן לתורה. לומר שאף הרחוקים מתורת ה' ועבודתו ולכן נקראי' בשם בריות בעלמא צריך למשכן בחבלי עבותו' אהבה וכולי האי ואולי יוכל לקרבן לתורה ועבודת ה' והן לא לא הפסיד שכר מצות אהבת ריעים

וגם המקורבים אליו והוכיחם ולא שבו מעונותיהם שמצוה לשנאותם מצוה לאהבם ג"כ ושתיהן הן אמת שנאה מצד הרע שבהם ואהבה מצד בחי' הטוב הגנוז שבהם שהוא ניצוץ אלקות שבתוכם המחיה נפשם האלקית וגם לעורר רחמים בלבו עליה כי היא בבחי' גלות בתוך הרע מס"א הגובר עליה ברשעי' והרחמנות מבטלת השנאה ומעוררת האהבה כנודע ממ"ש ליעקב אשר פדה את אברהם [ולא אמר דה"עה תכלית שנאה שנאתים וגו' אלא על המינים והאפיקורסים שאין להם חלק באלהי ישראל כדאיתא בגמרא ר"פ ט"ז דשבת]:

« Last edited by yesitsme on May 21, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »

Author Topic: Lakewood Shabbos rally  (Read 157776 times)

Offline yitrap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood Shabbos rally
« Reply #640 on: May 20, 2015, 05:07:35 PM »
When I first heard about these walks to the lake I didn't understand what are they going to accomplish like all of you, so I ask my rave who I know was involved what the point? and what do you do there? He told me the point is not to micarev them (because this not the way) but rather to make this spot not a fun hang out. Why? Because this is right in the middle of yeshiva neighborhood and why should our kids have to walk by and see the kids we failed on. These kids grew up in yeshiva households and have no interest in coming to their neighbors house for a shobbas meal.
It's a nice idea but it won't work...

And like avromie7 said, it's not true...

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 20, 2015, 05:07:57 PM »
I don't share your hashkafik views, so please don't force them on me.
I actually begged my parents to go to a Chabad yeshiva when I got tired of hearing of the punishments awaiting us for not following halacha.  Hearing about the positive is a better motivator for me. /.02
in many threads you mention your bad experience in your non chabad yeshiva.
you should know that many tens of thousands had WONDERFUL AND POSITIVE experiences. your claims that  non chabad yeshivos are full of hate and hell spewing preachers , is a libel .
Salt Is Good

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 20, 2015, 05:09:02 PM »
I believe you all the way. and i feel bad. But its not the norm at all!
Salt Is Good

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 20, 2015, 05:10:26 PM »
As I had said previously, I don't think the original organizers intended it to be the way it was.
So then it couldn't be that this was about giving them the "left hand"... or it was intended to be that way.

Personally I feel the organizers are people who probably genuinely care they just don't know the right way to do it or for some reason decided they wanted to do it this way.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 20, 2015, 05:13:52 PM »
in many threads you mention your bad experience in your non chabad yeshiva.
you should know that many tens of thousands had WONDERFUL AND POSITIVE experiences. your claims that  non chabad yeshivos are full of hate and hell spewing preachers , is a libel .
You again....

Many people did have amazing growing experiences thats true, you can't deny that the Litvishe mehalach is based more on the consequences whereas Chassidish and more specifically Chabad are based on Schar...different people thrive under different environments that's all.

P.S. look I wrote a full post without feeling the need to use caps lock!

Offline monkey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: May 20, 2015, 05:18:24 PM »
We're not talking about 40 year olds that are otd. These are teenagers. By messing with them they will mess back. To show that you don't approve of their behavior there are other ways to show it other than a protest. There are ways to show that you don't approve in a loving way.

And yes, I've personally helped otd teens.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #646 on: May 20, 2015, 05:19:24 PM »
So then it couldn't be that this was about giving them the "left hand"... or it was intended to be that way.

Personally I feel the organizers are people who probably genuinely care they just don't know the right way to do it or for some reason decided they wanted to do it this way.
This was definitely about getting them to relocate and not to be mikarev them. I would call that smol mirachek
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 20, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »
This was definitely about getting them to relocate and not to be mikarev them. I would call that smol mirachek
Ok so then it was bad army not bad cop....

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 20, 2015, 05:23:48 PM »
Ok so then it was bad army not bad cop....
As I had said previously, I don't think the original organizers intended it to be the way it was.

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 20, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »
Many people did have amazing growing experiences thats true, you can't deny that the Litvishe mehalach is based more on the consequences whereas Chassidish and more specifically Chabad are based on Schar...different people thrive under different environments that's all.
1You refer to the mussarniks  , which is only a Small minority in the litvish world. (that would be like calling all chabadniks Meshichists....)\
2No one discusses Hell and punishments today .. for that look in Raishes Chachma and other works.. including those from the old chasidic masters.
3 today everyone goes to the highest gan eden ...... even if they go otd.....AS LONG AS THEY LIVEANDLETLIVE
Salt Is Good

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 20, 2015, 05:31:22 PM »
You can't have this....

In some ways it is better that when a strong stand needs to be taken it be done by someone other than the ones pulling them closer who may ruin the existing relationship.

With this....
And it not be this...
Good cop bad cop...sure
Not good cop bad army

unless you say....
in which case it couldn't have been this...
rather it would be...
which we all agree is foolish.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 20, 2015, 05:32:07 PM »
1You refer to the mussarniks  , which is only a Small minority in the litvish world. (that would be like calling all chabadniks Meshichists....)\
2No one discusses Hell and punishments today .. for that look in Raishes Chachma and other works.. including those from the old chasidic masters.
3 today everyone goes to the highest gan eden ...... even if they go otd.....AS LONG AS THEY LIVEANDLETLIVE

I would respond but you're yelling.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 20, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 20, 2015, 05:42:27 PM »
E

I don't think that is even true of mussarniks (I am one).  It was true of Novardok, which was a subset of the mussar movement, and no longer exists in the same manner. (So it would be like calling all chabadniks I dunno what)

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 20, 2015, 05:43:45 PM »
You can't have this....

With this....And it not be this...
unless you say....in which case it couldn't have been this...rather it would be...which we all agree is foolish.
I disagree with your deductions. There are places where there was need to get them to relocate and what was done quite successfully as I wrote previously.
They left their developments because they made to feel uncomfortable there albeit on a much lower scale.

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #655 on: May 20, 2015, 05:43:56 PM »
Well said-this "live and let live" mentality is ludicrous it's like a central tenet of enlightened Jews and totally foreign to torah as I've demonstrated.

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 20, 2015, 05:44:10 PM »
These kids grew up in yeshiva households and have no interest in coming to their neighbors house for a shobbas meal.
This is so far from the truth
Over a decade ago I was an OTD kid in Lakewood. The last thing I or any of my friends wanted to do was go to a neighbor for a shabbos meal.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 20, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »
You can't have this....

With this....And it not be this...
unless you say....in which case it couldn't have been this...rather it would be...which we all agree is foolish.
This post for sure took too much work

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #658 on: May 20, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »
Over a decade ago I was an OTD kid in Lakewood. The last thing I wanted to do was go to a neighbor for a shabbos meal.
So here we have it folks. Hard to argue given that what he's saying is common sense as well.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 20, 2015, 05:48:42 PM »
So here we have it folks. Hard to argue given that what he's saying is common sense as well.
And by simple deduction therefore the rally was effective
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.