Author Topic: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)  (Read 810646 times)

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Re: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2015, 11:52:48 PM »
A simple Google search will show you plenty.
i spoke to many dayanim. They all said you shouldn't do it. But NONE found an issur that they say this falls under
#TYH

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2015, 12:16:16 AM »
i spoke to many dayanim. They all said you shouldn't do it. But NONE found an issur that they say this falls under
Again, from a simple Google search:

http://businesshalacha.com/en/newsletter/dina-dmalchusa-state-law

http://halachafortodaycom.blogspot.com/2012/04/q-page-3.html?m=1

http://www.kikar.co.il/mobile/app/#news.60903

http://www.vosizneias.com/37800/2009/09/03/jerusalem-extraordinary-psak-by-rabbis-simcha-hall-owners-must-pay-royalties-for-music/

The last one is for something else, but the principle would still apply. I'll stop there because I'm on my phone but I could go on and on.

I simply hate the justifications. I have copied plenty of music myself. But I'm not going to try justify it. It's wrong. I did something wrong.

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2015, 12:20:34 AM »
I have a hard drive with almost all jewish music that you can think of. I have been collecting it since the first ipod came out about 13 years ago yet i dont fill up peoples ipod.   But that still doesnt make it assur. And i would rather ask my LOR than making a google search
#TYH

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2015, 12:22:14 AM »
There was an album by MBD around twenty years ago which came with a letter with signatures.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline PTU

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2015, 12:40:30 AM »
Did he really compare himself to Christina Aguilera??
The other guy is pavorati...

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2015, 12:50:31 AM »
Did he really compare himself to Christina Aguilera??
Only in music style in reference to him being called a "cantor." in other words, "I'm not a cantor, I'm a pop singer."

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2015, 12:58:48 AM »
I have a hard drive with almost all jewish music that you can think of. I have been collecting it since the first ipod came out about 13 years ago yet i dont fill up peoples ipod.   But that still doesnt make it assur. And i would rather ask my LOR than making a google search
The assertion was that no one says it is assur, because it is not (unanimously). The Google search proves that false. It doesn't give you personal halachic guidance.

Though there are some pretty big hitters mentioned in those links, which I find difficult to believe your lor would discount entirely.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:02:08 AM by Yehuda57 »

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2015, 01:01:19 AM »
The assertion was that no one says it is assur, because it is not (unanimously). The Google search proves that false. It doesn't give you personal halachic guidance.

Though there are some pretty big hitters mentioned in those links, which I find difficult to believe you're lor would discount entirely.
I didnt compare and nor did my LOR discount other people. He just stated his own view on the matter
#TYH

Offline Tankchucker

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2015, 02:33:35 AM »
I wrote this in reference to a album I saw a few years ago that had a whole FAQ Halacha section enclosed which in short said that you're going to hell if you copy music, and the only time you can ever copy is if you also want to listen in your car and bought the album.
Going to hell many times over anyway for "stealing" music why should I stop now? (Honestly I didn't copy music for the past 2 years anyway)
I believe that asking nicely would help more than saying that it's genaiva and that we'll all go to hell. Based on the theory that copying is genaiva Yom Kippur won't help because it's Bain Adam lachavairo so if I had a 120gb iPod which was filled with random music there's no way I'll be able to ask mechila from all the singers that I "stole" music from.

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2015, 03:03:01 AM »

I wrote this in reference to a album I saw a few years ago that had a whole FAQ Halacha section enclosed which in short said that you're going to hell if you copy music, and the only time you can ever copy is if you also want to listen in your car and bought the album. I believe that asking nicely would help more than saying that it's genaiva and that we'll all go to hell. Based on the theory that copying is genaiva Yom Kippur won't help because it's Bain Adam lachavairo so if I had a 120gb iPod which was filled with random music there's no way I'll be able to ask mechila from all the singers that I "stole" music from.
I'm sorry, asking nicely? As in "please don't steal my livelihood the thing I invested all my efforts into for the past year or two K thanks" I'm pretty sure nobody would ask nicely when it came to their parnosa...

I'm unfortunately guilty of copying other people's music, bh not in the recent few years but as a kid I definitely did, it's sad that it somehow became one of these things that people just do without thinking about what they're causing to the person.

Offline ChAiM'l

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2015, 04:48:43 AM »

I believe that asking nicely would help more than saying that it's genaiva and that we'll all go to hell. Based on the theory that copying is genaiva Yom Kippur won't help because it's Bain Adam lachavairo so if I had a 120gb iPod which was filled with random music there's no way I'll be able to ask mechila from all the singers that I "stole" music from.

I believe they did actually try that a while back. There was a video that was produced showing how most (all?) artists work a day job because they can't make ends meet through music alone. Also, they had some ads.

Didn't seem to help.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2015, 09:52:58 AM »

I believe they did actually try that a while back. There was a video that was produced showing how most (all?) artists work a day job because they can't make ends meet through music alone. Also, they had some ads.

Didn't seem to help.
should they make ends meet through music alone? Do they put in the work to justify that? Maybe it should be a nice part time job? If there would be no copying would it then be enough for a full time living? What percentage of those who copy would buy the music of they were unable to copy?

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2015, 10:45:45 AM »
I wrote this in reference to a album I saw a few years ago that had a whole FAQ Halacha section enclosed which in short said that you're going to hell if you copy music, and the only time you can ever copy is if you also want to listen in your car and bought the album. I believe that asking nicely would help more than saying that it's genaiva and that we'll all go to hell. Based on the theory that copying is genaiva Yom Kippur won't help because it's Bain Adam lachavairo so if I had a 120gb iPod which was filled with random music there's no way I'll be able to ask mechila from all the singers that I "stole" music from.
Comment away on your opinion of the efficacy of the music industry's methods, but can everyone quit with the justifications?

Offline yitzy93

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2015, 10:46:03 AM »
There was an album by MBD around twenty years ago which came with a letter with signatures.

Who copied music 20 years ago??

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2015, 10:49:48 AM »
Who copied music 20 years ago??
plenty of people copied tapes

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »

Comment away on your opinion of the efficacy of the music industry's methods, but can everyone quit with the justifications?
+100000

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2015, 11:00:30 AM »
should they make ends meet through music alone? Do they put in the work to justify that? Maybe it should be a nice part time job? If there would be no copying would it then be enough for a full time living? What percentage of those who copy would buy the music of they were unable to copy?
There are no available stats on Jewish music sales. It's commonly opined that aside from very few of the "top" performers, albums are produced at a loss as a "business card" for live performances.

In the secular music world, evidence seems to lean toward the copying and spreading of music actually benefitting the artists, leading to increased sales in the long run.

But even if copying music helps the performer in the grand scheme of things, for me, as an individual, that is no justification to steal.

Let's face it, of all the albums that have been released in the last few weeks, you'd be hard pressed to come up with one decent one. Choni grunblatt's is the only one worth the purchase, and even that album is riddled with weak arrangements, hilariously awful lyrics, and poor production. If, as the industry wanted, all copying stopped, you wouldn't even know of motty illowitz. But again, that's no justification for me, personally, to steal.

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2015, 11:08:18 AM »
There are no available stats on Jewish music sales. It's commonly opined that aside from very few of the "top" performers, albums are produced at a loss as a "business card" for live performances.

In the secular music world, evidence seems to lean toward the copying and spreading of music actually benefitting the artists, leading to increased sales in the long run.

But even if copying music helps the performer in the grand scheme of things, for me, as an individual, that is no justification to steal.

Let's face it, of all the albums that have been released in the last few weeks, you'd be hard pressed to come up with one decent one. Choni grunblatt's is the only one worth the purchase, and even that album is riddled with weak arrangements, hilariously awful lyrics, and poor production. If, as the industry wanted, all copying stopped, you wouldn't even know of motty illowitz. But again, that's no justification for me, personally, to steal.
Moshe Mendelowitz is really nice!
& so is Eli Marcus unless you'll say that's too long ago.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »
Moshe Mendelowitz is really nice!
& so is Eli Marcus unless you'll say that's too long ago.
Matter of opinion.
But Eli Marcus IS really nice, even if his album was awfully underwhelming.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2015, 11:14:52 AM »
For all those who were wondering what Lipa is up to these days (and care),

TA DA!

He's scheduled to release an album right after the 3 weeks!