Author Topic: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)  (Read 811333 times)

Offline yaakovl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)
« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2015, 09:51:26 AM »
Considering if you're good with a computer you could pull the audio from the video...I probably would do it-that doesn't make it okay though.
if the manufacturer was smart, he added macrovision to the audio...

Offline yitrap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 16, 2015, 09:52:29 AM »

if the manufacturer was smart, he added macrovision to the audio...
I don't know what the Jewish dvds look like today but if they're burned anything like they were 5-6 years ago I highly doubt it.

Offline JoeyShmoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2015, 10:03:18 AM »
Considering if you're good with a computer you could pull the audio from the video...I probably would do it-that doesn't make it okay though.

Assuming that can be done, and the sound quality would still be good, I'd still have to separate the tracks myself. It's much easier if I just get a copy
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2015, 10:04:24 AM »

Assuming that can be done, and the sound quality would still be good, I'd still have to separate the tracks myself. It's much easier if I just get a copy
I'm saying that since I would be able to rip it from the DVD I would copy from someone

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2015, 10:09:25 AM »
I'm saying that since I would be able to rip it from the DVD I would copy from someone

Makes sense, thanks
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 16, 2015, 10:10:15 AM »
Makes sense, thanks
Don't use me as your moral compass please  :P

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2015, 10:22:54 AM »
Don't use me as your moral compass please  :P

Your moral compass seems to align with mine, I just wanted to confirm that I'm not the only misaligned one  ;D
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2015, 10:23:41 AM »

Your moral compass seems to align with mine, I just wanted to confirm that I'm not the only misaligned one  ;D

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2015, 10:34:34 AM »
I'm not at all defending copying music. I personally think it's at best bad middos and at worst gezel.
But maybe if today's singers, wouldn't put out cds with just 2 decnt songs sandwiched by 8 fillers, ppl would feel more guilty.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2015, 10:37:29 AM »
I'm not at all defending copying music. I personally think it's at best bad middos and at worst gezel.
But maybe if today's singers, wouldn't put out cds with just 2 decnt songs sandwiched by 8 fillers, ppl would feel more guilty.
Eh, justification is powerful- it doesn't need that

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2015, 11:23:24 AM »

+1
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline yochiek93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
why? that doesnt make sense if all the songs were good then you would buy it but if two were good you would steal it (yes i know not everyone holds its stealing)

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 16, 2015, 11:45:11 AM »
why? that doesnt make sense if all the songs were good then you would buy it but if two were good you would steal it (yes i know not everyone holds its stealing)
  • People feel a lot less guilty stealing $1.98 (2 songs x $0.99) than stealing $10
  • People feel a lot less guilty stealing something that they feel should be priced cheaper, artists are selling less interesting albums - which seemingly required less work - for the same price as more interesting albums
I'm not justifying, I'm just stating the thoughts that went through my mind the few times that I did this
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #233 on: June 16, 2015, 11:54:39 AM »
I once got a psak that if I own the tape I can copy the CD since I already own rights to the song.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2015, 12:06:53 PM »
I once got a psak that if I own the tape I can copy the CD since I already own rights to the song.

Question is if the same goes to copy audio if I have the video. OTOH they obviously didn't include the audio for a reason, BOTOH I paid for the video why shouldn't I be able to hear the audio...
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #235 on: June 16, 2015, 12:17:56 PM »

Oy, where to begin? Just a few quick points:
1) It is not "at worst" gezel, it is gezel.
2) Complaining about "today's" singers - You realize every cat and their uncle can go into a studio tomorrow and put out an album? Only the very best were able to produce music back in the day, and so obviously the quality was better. Now you have more variety and more choices, so we are better off, even if there is more trash.
3) Ironically, you complain about only single songs being good "today" when single song downloads are possible today.
4) And the guilt, oh the guilt. That's the whole point, isn't it? We know it is wrong to steal, but have all these justifications. It's up to the artist to make me fell guilty about stealing. What's wrong is wrong -your personal feelings on the matter are irrelevant. You wanna steal Chaim Yankel Todrus's brand new album, "Yiddish Meows?" Go ahead. But you still stole it. Even if you only like the third song about his pet squirrel's breakfast being cold, and didn't care for the other songs about lunch and dinner.

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 16, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
Oy, where to begin? Just a few quick points:
1) It is not "at worst" gezel, it is gezel.
2) Complaining about "today's" singers - You realize every cat and their uncle can go into a studio tomorrow and put out an album? Only the very best were able to produce music back in the day, and so obviously the quality was better. Now you have more variety and more choices, so we are better off, even if there is more trash.
3) Ironically, you complain about only single songs being good "today" when single song downloads are possible today.
4) And the guilt, oh the guilt. That's the whole point, isn't it? We know it is wrong to steal, but have all these justifications. It's up to the artist to make me fell guilty about stealing. What's wrong is wrong -your personal feelings on the matter are irrelevant. You wanna steal Chaim Yankel Todrus's brand new album, "Yiddish Meows?" Go ahead. But you still stole it. Even if you only like the third song about his pet squirrel's breakfast being cold, and didn't care for the other songs about lunch and dinner.

1) Very debatable (as per the whole first part of this conversation), but not the point right now.
2) As I said before, since I feel that the artist didn't spend any time to create the album, and I don't like it, it makes feel less guilty to steal it (NOTE: I'm not saying it's ok, but makes me feel less guilty).
3) Unfortunately, my search in Google Play Music didn't bring up any of the new Jewish albums, so I can't buy single songs (Is every album available to download by track on mostlymusic.com? If so, disregard this).
4) Yeah, the issue at hand is do I have to feel guilty, feeling guilt is a personal matter. Unfortunately, not all the wrong stuff make everybody feel guilty, the discussion here is whether this is from those stuff that should make you feel guilty, besides actually being wrong.

Having said all that, please don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning pirating/copying music. There was a point in my life where I actually did it, and those were part of my justifications. I'm working on actually paying for my whole current library, it'll take time, but I'm working on it none-the-less.
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 16, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »
Ok seriously can we get back to "discussing jewish music" this thread almost looks like the  "interesting pictures" thread looked last Friday!
Or maybe we can do the same that was done there, pity jj is not following this thread.
Well lemme try it doesn't hurt RTM

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 16, 2015, 12:58:59 PM »
+1
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #239 on: June 16, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »
1) Very debatable (as per the whole first part of this conversation), but not the point right now.

Umm no. "As per the first part of this conversation," with the exclusion of one (one!) named rov, everyone, from R' Moshe and R' Wosner and on says it is theft. Not one single argument that it is not theft was articulated in this thread. Not. One. Single. One.

2) As I said before, since I feel that the artist didn't spend any time to create the album, and I don't like it, it makes feel less guilty to steal it (NOTE: I'm not saying it's ok, but makes me feel less guilty).
4) Yeah, the issue at hand is do I have to feel guilty, feeling guilt is a personal matter. Unfortunately, not all the wrong stuff make everybody feel guilty, the discussion here is whether this is from those stuff that should make you feel guilty, besides actually being wrong.
Who gives a flying shnitzel if you feel guilty or not?
And besides, the same way a guy can work tirelessly for years, literally, and produce absolute trash that I wouldn't spend a penny on, another  guy can take 5 minutes to produce a masterpiece (Freddie Mercury sang "Show Must Go On" while dying in one take. Shloimie Gertner probably did 30 takes for his rendition. Which one is better?). Why should that make a difference to to this conversation?

3) Unfortunately, my search in Google Play Music didn't bring up any of the new Jewish albums, so I can't buy single songs (Is every album available to download by track on mostlymusic.com? If so, disregard this).

iTunes and Amazon are better places to search.

This whole discussion is idiotic. The whole "it's wrong, BUT..." justification crap has no bearing on the topic. It's wrong. Unless you have an actual reason it is NOT wrong, share the justification with your grandmother. Maybe she cares.

Imagine a thread about shoplifting. Would an "it's wrong, but they are insured" argument fly?