Author Topic: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)  (Read 810723 times)

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)
« Reply #240 on: June 16, 2015, 05:47:26 PM »
Umm no. "As per the first part of this conversation," with the exclusion of one (one!) named rov, everyone, from R' Moshe and R' Wosner and on says it is theft. Not one single argument that it is not theft was articulated in this thread. Not. One. Single. One.
Who gives a flying shnitzel if you feel guilty or not?
And besides, the same way a guy can work tirelessly for years, literally, and produce absolute trash that I wouldn't spend a penny on, another  guy can take 5 minutes to produce a masterpiece (Freddie Mercury sang "Show Must Go On" while dying in one take. Shloimie Gertner probably did 30 takes for his rendition. Which one is better?). Why should that make a difference to to this conversation?

iTunes and Amazon are better places to search.

This whole discussion is idiotic. The whole "it's wrong, BUT..." justification crap has no bearing on the topic. It's wrong. Unless you have an actual reason it is NOT wrong, share the justification with your grandmother. Maybe she cares.

Imagine a thread about shoplifting. Would an "it's wrong, but they are insured" argument fly?
+1

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2015, 11:09:04 AM »
I heard that track 2 on Ohad's new album was composed by Yossi Green for Ohad's first album. Ohad didn't want it then, and Yossi Green decided not to sell it to another singer, and now when Ohad wanted it (probably because it's better then the Heintig Yossi Green stuff), it was waiting for him.

I'm sorry for interrupting in the "Hilchos Choshen Mishpat" thread to post something about Jewish Music.  ;)

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2015, 11:23:06 AM »
Oy, where to begin? Just a few quick points:
1) It is not "at worst" gezel, it is gezel.

It is a shaila if it's gezel. There's a 700 page sefer called emek hamishpat - zechuyos yotzrim (iirc) discusing the subject. It is not an open and shut case of gezel. I picked up a sefer on the subject a few months ago (can't remember the name) who brought it down as 2 shitos. The list for the side that it's not gezel was very long, (as was the list for the side that it is gezel). (even if it's not gezel it could be asur for different reasons such as dina demalchusa dina)
That's why I worte that it's at worst gezel and at best bad middos.

I absolutely think it's wrong to do.

Offline yitzy93

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2015, 11:23:49 AM »
I heard that track 2 on Ohad's new album was composed by Yossi Green for Ohad's first album. Ohad didn't want it then, and Yossi Green decided not to sell it to another singer, and now when Ohad wanted it (probably because it's better then the Heintig Yossi Green stuff), it was waiting for him.

I'm sorry for interrupting in the "Hilchos Choshen Mishpat" thread to post something about Jewish Music.  ;)

This thread has been 90% off topic and 10% on so thanks for actually posting something relevant to this thread ;-)

Does anyone else think that the new 8th day song "inner flame" sounds like such a copy of "uptown funk" or am I alone on this one? :)

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 18, 2015, 11:18:45 AM »
Ohad did something which I think is unprecedented in "Heimish" JM. In what seems clearly as an attempt to replicate the success of "Birchas Habonim" from his last album, he put a song on his new album (track 11) Birchas Chupa. But the song is a popular Goyishe love song, and what's shocking is that he credits the song to the Goyishe composer ("Composed by: John Legend"). People have stolen songs before, but no one has officially taken a Goyishe love song from a young Goyishe composer. (A classic like You Raise Me Up, G-d Bless the USA, or even Halleluja is perhaps not as bad.) What do you hold?

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 18, 2015, 11:42:09 AM »

Ohad did something which I think is unprecedented in "Heimish" JM. In what seems clearly as an attempt to replicate the success of "Birchas Habonim" from his last album, he put a song on his new album (track 11) Birchas Chupa. But the song is a popular Goyishe love song, and what's shocking is that he credits the song to the Goyishe composer ("Composed by: John Legend"). People have stolen songs before, but no one has officially taken a Goyishe love song from a young Goyishe composer. (A classic like You Raise Me Up, G-d Bless the USA, or even Halleluja is perhaps not as bad.) What do you hold?
He did it with hallelujah already... Iinm on one of the maccabeats they cover you had a bad day

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 18, 2015, 05:10:01 PM »
Yitrap: It's true that Ohad has done this before, but there are differences. Firstly, it is more commen for singers to put in Goyish music on Mix albums (ex. Benny Friedman's Nagila Vnismecha, Lipa's 24/6, Ohad's Hamuzika Sheli) [I'm not saying that it's more justified, I'm just saying that it's precedented]. Secondly, Ohad, although he's not considered Yeshivish, has usually (with a few exceptions) geared his albums to appeal to the Yeshivish crowd [whereas The Macabeats and many of their type were never considered "Heimish"]. Thirdly, rarely were current love songs taken [rarely altogether, never by a Yeshivish singer]. In the past Ohad used "You Raise Me Up". That's a classic and is more justifiable. You mentioned "Halleluja". It's also considered a classic, and even more so, it was composed by a Jew [just like Shwekey's Kolot which was composed by a Frei Yid], albeit with words that are far from Kosher. But to explicitly take a current love song and and not try to hide it is unprecedented.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #247 on: June 18, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »
Yitrap: It's true that Ohad has done this before, but there are differences. Firstly, it is more commen for singers to put in Goyish music on Mix albums (ex. Benny Friedman's Nagila Vnismecha, Lipa's 24/6, Ohad's Hamuzika Sheli) [I'm not saying that it's more justified, I'm just saying that it's precedented]. Secondly, Ohad, although he's not considered Yeshivish, has usually (with a few exceptions) geared his albums to appeal to the Yeshivish crowd [whereas The Macabeats and many of their type were never considered "Heimish"]. Thirdly, rarely were current love songs taken [rarely altogether, never by a Yeshivish singer]. In the past Ohad used "You Raise Me Up". That's a classic and is more justifiable. You mentioned "Halleluja". It's also considered a classic, and even more so, it was composed by a Jew [just like Shwekey's Kolot which was composed by a Frei Yid], albeit with words that are far from Kosher. But to explicitly take a current love song and and not try to hide it is unprecedented.
You'd prefer he'd hide it, like dedi did by crediting Abba songs to "niggun mibeis abba"? Or like gertner/kalish credits the spice girls as" amami"?

As long as he's being honest and upfront and giving you the choice, that's far better than hiding, IMHO.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 19, 2015, 02:04:35 PM »
Yehuda57: The standard thinking of most people is "if you're going to use a Goyish song, it's better to be open and don't hide it". But it's not so simple. R' Mottisyahu Solomon Shlita says (it's printed in the book "With Hearts Full of Love") that there's nothing wrong with listening to a Goyish song if it's a real song ["the things we hear by Chasunos today is not music- it's a bunch of random noises that sound like they're from the Africans in the Jungles"] AND if you don't know the source of the song! But, if when you hear the song you think about the Goyishe guy who composed it, or foul lyrics that were originally set to the song, then it's forbidden to listen to it! Ad Kan Leshono. So according to this, it would be much better to stay in the dark and believe that it's a Jewish song.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #249 on: June 19, 2015, 02:15:33 PM »
Yehuda57: The standard thinking of most people is "if you're going to use a Goyish song, it's better to be open and don't hide it". But it's not so simple. R' Mottisyahu Solomon Shlita says (it's printed in the book "With Hearts Full of Love") that there's nothing wrong with listening to a Goyish song if it's a real song ["the things we hear by Chasunos today is not music- it's a bunch of random noises that sound like they're from the Africans in the Jungles"] AND if you don't know the source of the song! But, if when you hear the song you think about the Goyishe guy who composed it, or foul lyrics that were originally set to the song, then it's forbidden to listen to it! Ad Kan Leshono. So according to this, it would be much better to stay in the dark and believe that it's a Jewish song.
Yowzah.

I'm out.

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 21, 2015, 12:05:18 AM »
Just bought Moishe Mendlowitz' Nostalgia.

Nice, for those who enjoy the oldies.

Offline yitzy93

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 22, 2015, 10:09:11 AM »
Anyone else having problems loading www.jewishmusic.fm ?

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 22, 2015, 12:02:31 PM »
What was goyish on benny friedmans nagila vinismicha?
I assume you are not referring to one day?

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #253 on: June 22, 2015, 12:52:52 PM »

Lol! Every. Single. Song.

(well, aside from One Day, and the two full length original songs)

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 22, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »
I remember a intro he uses which is real "goyish" although I don't know from where it comes.

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 22, 2015, 03:49:38 PM »
Just bought Moishe Mendlowitz' Nostalgia.

Nice, for those who enjoy the oldies.
Agreed, I think it's really nice and refreshing.

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2015, 03:51:08 PM »
What do you guys say to the fact that Ohad got Rechnitz's song "Maduah"?
I think it's a gorgeous song with big potential!

Offline Adam101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
What do you guys say to the fact that Ohad got Rechnitz's song "Maduah"?
I think it's a gorgeous song with big potential!
Too long with too many words.  Can't learn it if you don't know Hebrew.  Ok tune though

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 22, 2015, 04:02:02 PM »
Too long with too many words.  Can't learn it if you don't know Hebrew.  Ok tune though
Think of "Aleh Katen" just takes time.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 22, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »
Think of "Aleh Katen" just takes time.
Most people don't know all the words to that either...