Author Topic: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)  (Read 811215 times)

Offline Newcc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)
« Reply #800 on: May 12, 2016, 09:11:33 PM »
Is that the "in the days of the rishonim" ?
yup! I cant get it out of my head
Yup Yup.... Shmuel Kunda had his ways!

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 17, 2016, 02:51:24 AM »
Avraham Fried said that he's releasing an album on Lag Baomer, though I wouldn't hold my breath because the release has already been pushed off numerous times. Maybe just maybe this time it will actually be released...

Offline Newcc

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 17, 2016, 12:19:34 PM »
Avraham Fried said that he's releasing an album on Lag Baomer, though I wouldn't hold my breath because the release has already been pushed off numerous times. Maybe just maybe this time it will actually be released...
Cool, what kind of Album?

Offline Newcc

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 19, 2016, 04:27:18 PM »
I just found this app in one google play called "jewishmusic.fm" has all Jewish music free! 

Offline Zalc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 19, 2016, 05:32:57 PM »
I just found this app in one google play called "jewishmusic.fm" has all Jewish music free!

Offline Newcc

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 20, 2016, 11:00:41 AM »

lol...  I noticed that. but can't blame him for now putting his name on it.... he's gonna get shut down fast! enjoy while it lasts.

Offline yitzy93

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 23, 2016, 09:09:16 AM »
Anyone know of/have a playlist of chuppah songs? Mi Adir, Mi Bon Siach etc...

Offline Mendylab

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 06, 2016, 12:34:32 AM »
Confirmed: Avraham Fried releasing a new album rosh chodesh Sivan called "Bring the house down" referring to the beis hamikdos.

This will be a normal album, as oppose to yiddish or Chabad.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 06, 2016, 09:08:10 AM »
Confirmed: Avraham Fried releasing a new album rosh chodesh Sivan called "Bring the house down" referring to the beis hamikdos.

This will be a normal album, as oppose to yiddish or Chabad.
I can't believe you can just say that with such a straight face as if it were completely normal. It should've been studded with  :D and  :) and maybe a few thumbs up.  ;)

Offline savvydigz

• View Profile

Offline savvydigz

• View Profile
« Reply #810 on: June 06, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 07, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »
Synopsis of Fried's album:

14 songs, including Yodati.

Composers: Includes 5 songs that were a collaboration of Fried and Waldner, plus one just Waldner and one just Fried. Three songs from Anshei Friedman (who composed Da for Levy Falkowitch. The Freid song "Sharei Dema'os" is in the same style as Da.) One fast song from Pinky Weber, one song from Eli Klein, and one Premishlan song. The Arrangements were done by Yuval Stupal, Ruli Ezrachi, Naftuly Schnitzler, Moshe Laufer, and Mendy Hershkowitz.

Overall sounds like a nice album. Just one thing that I'm not excited about is that six songs are from the same composer, Yitzy Waldner. I believe that it makes the album very one-dimensional.

Agree?

Offline savvydigz

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 07, 2016, 10:31:34 AM »
Synopsis of Fried's album:

14 songs, including Yodati.

Composers: Includes 5 songs that were a collaboration of Fried and Waldner, plus one just Waldner and one just Fried. Three songs from Anshei Friedman (who composed Da for Levy Falkowitch. The Freid song "Sharei Dema'os" is in the same style as Da.) One fast song from Pinky Weber, one song from Eli Klein, and one Premishlan song. The Arrangements were done by Yuval Stupal, Ruli Ezrachi, Naftuly Schnitzler, Moshe Laufer, and Mendy Hershkowitz.

Overall sounds like a nice album. Just one thing that I'm not excited about is that six songs are from the same composer, Yitzy Waldner. I believe that it makes the album very one-dimensional.

Agree?
absolutely not yitzy waldner composed almost every song on yakov shwekey's new album and the songs are totally different   

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #813 on: June 07, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »
Agree?

Nope. Firstly, being "one dimensional" is not necessarily a bad thing, and could certainly be better than the usual thinking, "hmmm, let's throw in 2 freilachs, 2 horas, 2 chupah songs and ... ummmm... and maybe something in Hebrew like Yesh Tikvah? That was a popular song, no?" Find what you're good at, and do that - even if there is no song that stands a chance of being played at weddings.

Secondly, the album simply isn't one dimensional. While I may have many criticisms of the album - I only listened once or twice, so I can't quite judge yet - there are a number of styles.

As it happens, your synopsis is a list of names with only this comment on the substance and style of the album:

The Freid song "Sharei Dema'os" is in the same style as Da.) One fast song from Pinky Weber

Which begs the question: Is your enjoyment of an album based purely on the list of names in the liner notes, or on the actual music?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 07, 2016, 11:39:39 AM »
Yehuda57: The reason why the synopsis is mostly names is because it's very hard to sum up an album on the day it came out. But there are people interested in the names, because most of the time you can surmise the style of the album based on the names alone. Regarding it being one dimensional, I wasn't refurring to styles. Every composer has his own emotions, and they bring them out in many different ways. Nevertheless, all their songs stem from their emotions, and unless the guy is extremely deep and multi-dimensional, the songs will lack a certain diversity. On the other hand, when there's numerous perspectives of emotions on an album, it inherently makes it much more interesting, and I find that the album can be listened to many more times without getting burnt out. Shwekey indeed put out a musicaly great album, but I got bored right away, as if I was listening to one long song with 25 different parts. That's my feeling.

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 07, 2016, 12:07:21 PM »
No yossi green?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 07, 2016, 01:39:12 PM »
Chaimmayer: No Yossi Green. His last regular album, Keep Climbing, had only one Yossi Green song, and Fried bought that song from him 10 years earlier! (It was the song Vezakeini. He refrained from releasing it right away because Baruch Levine had put out his and it had made it big and Fried didn't want to put out another song with the same words at the time.)

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #817 on: June 07, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »
Yehuda57: The reason why the synopsis is mostly names is because it's very hard to sum up an album on the day it came out. But there are people interested in the names, because most of the time you can surmise the style of the album based on the names alone. Regarding it being one dimensional, I wasn't refurring to styles. Every composer has his own emotions, and they bring them out in many different ways. Nevertheless, all their songs stem from their emotions, and unless the guy is extremely deep and multi-dimensional, the songs will lack a certain diversity. On the other hand, when there's numerous perspectives of emotions on an album, it inherently makes it much more interesting, and I find that the album can be listened to many more times without getting burnt out. Shwekey indeed put out a musicaly great album, but I got bored right away, as if I was listening to one long song with 25 different parts. That's my feeling.

If that's your criteria for one dimensional, all of Avraham Fried's albums are one dimensional. He has his message he wants to share, and adapts to that. I once read an interview with Yitzi Waldner (IIRC) in the ZmAmIna speaking about Avraham Fried coming to his house with specific words and a message, and then working till they had a tune that matched.

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 07, 2016, 02:07:20 PM »
Yehuda put out a new cd after so many years. I wonder if he's gonna be doing more now

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 07, 2016, 06:36:07 PM »
Yehuda57: interesting. But I feel that even if all the songs are the same style, if they're composed by different people than there's automaticaly more dimension to it. And I beleive that all recent albums that have more than a few songs composed by one composer have not stayed around long. (I don't want to write examples on a public forum.)