Author Topic: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)  (Read 811479 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)
« Reply #820 on: June 08, 2016, 09:48:51 AM »
I would say that the big difference here is that the 5 songs are partially his own. He is bringing out his own creativity.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Newcc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 08, 2016, 12:32:57 PM »
absolutely not yitzy waldner composed almost every song on yakov shwekey's new album and the songs are totally different
+1 Waldner is the New Yossi Green, all the Singers seem to be flocking to him.
No yossi green?
I found it interesting that there is no Yossi Green, Yossi Green was always a AF staple, Kind of feels like AF is going away from his core

He definitely give it his own AF twist which you either love.... or you don't love  8)

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 08, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »
Will Fried be available from Amazon or Google anytime soon?

Offline Newcc

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 08, 2016, 03:50:57 PM »
He claims it was all leaked before release date.  :-\ :-\

Offline Zalc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 08, 2016, 04:01:13 PM »

It's available to stream on there already.

Don't know about Google or Spotify.

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #825 on: June 08, 2016, 04:15:52 PM »

Before it was published by mostly music?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 08, 2016, 04:49:10 PM »
Leaked to Amazon or Google?

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 08, 2016, 06:46:51 PM »
Fried said in an interview after Keep Climbing was released that Green no longer wants to compose the type of songs that he wants. I also heard Green say that the world wants a different style song.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #828 on: June 09, 2016, 06:11:43 PM »
Shwekey indeed put out a musicaly great album, but I got bored right away, as if I was listening to one long song with 25 different parts. That's my feeling.
Ok, so I hadn't listened to Shwekey's album (I'm not a fan), but after your comments I went and listened to the whole thing. I disagree entirely. While each song had things which reminded me of other songs by other performers, I did not get the feeling that the album as a whole was different versions of the same song.
Yehuda57: interesting. But I feel that even if all the songs are the same style, if they're composed by different people than there's automaticaly more dimension to it. And I beleive that all recent albums that have more than a few songs composed by one composer have not stayed around long. (I don't want to write examples on a public forum.)
You mean like MBC, Eli Gerstner's bajillion projects, 8th day, or every secular band that has ever existed?  How about the dozens of Jewish music albums which were entirely Yossi Green compositions? I can't rattle them off to you now, but I remember albums often had the name of the singer and the composer on the cover. You might not like the repetition, but you can't argue their success.

All I'm saying is to try this: Before you read the liner notes, listen to the music. A bunch of times. When you go in to the album after reading the names, you'll hear what you are expecting to hear.

Besides, 5 out of 14 songs is just over a third. So this album is at least three dimensional  :P

P.S. If you quote the comment you are responding to it is easier to follow a conversation. (on desktop hit insert quote, on Tapatalk hit the reply arrow.)

Offline Newcc

• View Profile

Offline Newcc

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 10, 2016, 11:05:03 AM »
Fried said in an interview after Keep Climbing was released that Green no longer wants to compose the type of songs that he wants. I also heard Green say that the world wants a different style song.
Never heard that, very interesting. I think some songs on the new album such as "Otzer Shel Yiras Shomayim" sounds very much like a Yossi Green/AF classic. so I'm surprised to hear that.

Also AF is always taking about authentic Jewish music and not taking from non Jewish styles so I'm a bit surprised.

Offline Newcc

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 10, 2016, 11:07:58 AM »
Ok, so I hadn't listened to Shwekey's album (I'm not a fan), but after your comments I went and listened to the whole thing. I disagree entirely. While each song had things which reminded me of other songs by other performers, I did not get the feeling that the album as a whole was different versions of the same song. You mean like MBC, Eli Gerstner's bajillion projects, 8th day, or every secular band that has ever existed?  How about the dozens of Jewish music albums which were entirely Yossi Green compositions? I can't rattle them off to you now, but I remember albums often had the name of the singer and the composer on the cover. You might not like the repetition, but you can't argue their success.

All I'm saying is to try this: Before you read the liner notes, listen to the music. A bunch of times. When you go in to the album after reading the names, you'll hear what you are expecting to hear.

Besides, 5 out of 14 songs is just over a third. So this album is at least three dimensional  :P

P.S. If you quote the comment you are responding to it is easier to follow a conversation. (on desktop hit insert quote, on Tapatalk hit the reply arrow.)
I couldn't agree with you more, the first time I heard the new schweky it wasn't exciting, but as I have learnd from the past you gotta listen to albums quite a few times to be able to tell if it's good or not (personally I have found the ones that I liked right away ended up being catchy but get boring quick - I wonder how you guys feel), I really like his latest album, some songs are better then others but all in all he did a great job.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #832 on: June 10, 2016, 11:19:59 AM »
Never heard that, very interesting. I think some songs on the new album such as "Otzer Shel Yiras Shomayim" sounds very much like a Yossi Green/AF classic. so I'm surprised to hear that.

Also AF is always taking about authentic Jewish music and not taking from non Jewish styles so I'm a bit surprised.

Kinda true. Jewish music "styles" have always been borrowed, and AF knows that. His music has evolved based on the taste of the community, which arralels the secular music world, even if it moves a bit slower. Many of chabad Niggunim he sings are copies of old Russian folk songs which were adapted by chassidim. He obviously knows that much is borrowed and sampled. What he does say is he feels music should have a "Yiddishe taam" and some types of music don't have that "Yiddishe taam." What does that mean? It's entirely subjective. על טעם וריח

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 10, 2016, 12:24:12 PM »
Kinda true. Jewish music "styles" have always been borrowed, and AF knows that. His music has evolved based on the taste of the community, which arralels the secular music world, even if it moves a bit slower. Many of chabad Niggunim he sings are copies of old Russian folk songs which were adapted by chassidim. He obviously knows that much is borrowed and sampled. What he does say is he feels music should have a "Yiddishe taam" and some types of music don't have that "Yiddishe taam." What does that mean? It's entirely subjective. על טעם וריח
One thing he means is to exclude a song that its whole "thing" is how it borrows from non-jewish music.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #834 on: June 10, 2016, 12:41:41 PM »
One thing he means is to exclude a song that its whole "thing" is how it borrows from non-jewish music.
The Jewish vs non-Jewish music discussion always turns into a circular argument. But I would say there is no objective way to define such a song.

Offline Newcc

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 10, 2016, 12:47:47 PM »
....אין להתווכח

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 10, 2016, 01:14:48 PM »
The Jewish vs non-Jewish music discussion always turns into a circular argument. But I would say there is no objective way to define such a song.

It is a judgment of intent. It is similar to what I have said in the past about the gemara which says that Shir Hashirim puts on sack cloth. Everyone has the right to interpret it together with their spritual advisors, but it definitely means SOMETHING. SOmeone in that business has to have SOME definition of it and some geder where they will not go because of it. The issue is when it is totally ignored.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #837 on: June 10, 2016, 01:33:35 PM »
It is a judgment of intent. It is similar to what I have said in the past about the gemara which says that Shir Hashirim puts on sack cloth. Everyone has the right to interpret it together with their spritual advisors, but it definitely means SOMETHING. SOmeone in that business has to have SOME definition of it and some geder where they will not go because of it. The issue is when it is totally ignored.

I definitely agree on that, to the point that sometimes a singer might (unwittingly) have a note-for-note copy of a secular song which is less "goyish" than another's original composition.

But as you say, it is still subjective, so it can get annoying when people get all self-righteous and indignant about what they think is goyish music, just because it doesn't fit into their tiny box of how music should sound.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 10, 2016, 01:56:05 PM »
it can get annoying when people get all self-righteous and indignant about anything

FTFY

Offline stbaum

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 14, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »
Shmueli Ungar's debut single (sound only)

My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes