Author Topic: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)  (Read 810846 times)

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)
« Reply #920 on: November 15, 2016, 11:00:16 AM »
The song predates her.
david d'aor did a good job singing it a peres's funeral. 
https://youtu.be/JoClZF6YaRk

Predates who?

Its a song written for one of the oldest reform temples in the USA

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 15, 2016, 11:06:22 AM »
Oh I didn't know what you were referring to.  Apparently the song is most famous as being recorded by Barbara Streisand

Offline Zalc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline shmoe joe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 17, 2016, 01:07:14 AM »
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #924 on: November 18, 2016, 11:43:04 AM »
RANT TIME!

A few months ago, I started using Youtube to listen to music at work. I'd find a random song to start with and let it go on on auto-play.

Every single time this Yoni Z medley would show up sometime during the session.

After a bunch of times it was really starting to get annoying.*

One day I get home and my wife tells me, "I use Youtube to listen to music at work. I find a random song to start with and let it go on on auto-play. Every single time this Yoni Z wedding medley comes up, it is so strange. And annoying."

I stopped using Youtube for a while (not because of this), but started again this week. Guess what? EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME. The longest it has taken for that video to come up is 4 songs.

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME GOOGLE?!

Maybe Dan can solve this too.

*Hey, nothing against Yoni Z - just that I'm not the biggest fan of that medley, and hearing it every single day doesn't make it all that endearing.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 18, 2016, 02:18:28 PM »
RANT TIME!

A few months ago, I started using Youtube to listen to music at work. I'd find a random song to start with and let it go on on auto-play.

Every single time this Yoni Z medley would show up sometime during the session.

After a bunch of times it was really starting to get annoying.*

One day I get home and my wife tells me, "I use Youtube to listen to music at work. I find a random song to start with and let it go on on auto-play. Every single time this Yoni Z wedding medley comes up, it is so strange. And annoying."

I stopped using Youtube for a while (not because of this), but started again this week. Guess what? EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME. The longest it has taken for that video to come up is 4 songs.

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME GOOGLE?!

Maybe Dan can solve this too.

*Hey, nothing against Yoni Z - just that I'm not the biggest fan of that medley, and hearing it every single day doesn't make it all that endearing.
I think ur in the wrong thread. Either go to technical support thread, or the Google help thread...
But once I'm responding, it probably has to do with your cache. And every time it shows up again it only reinforces it. So u will probably have to delete your history as well as the cache attached to your Google account

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #926 on: November 24, 2016, 05:19:34 PM »
Cute - test drive the new Benny album:

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 26, 2016, 09:37:37 PM »
Sorry for the repost. Didn't realize there was this thread.

Does anyone have the cover insert for the MBD Just One Shabbos, and/or the Suki and Ding Zemiros albums?
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline Newcc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 30, 2016, 08:16:40 PM »
How you enjoying the new Benny album?

Offline AROCKS1

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: December 07, 2016, 03:06:49 AM »
Does Benny have a shita against putting music on Google play? He never put כל הנשמה שלי on the streaming portion (only available in the store) and the new album has yet to land anywhere on play yet.

(It really appears to be an issue with other services as well, as on Spotify the only album available is Taamu)

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #930 on: December 07, 2016, 06:47:57 AM »
Does Benny have a shita against putting music on Google play? He never put כל הנשמה שלי on the streaming portion (only available in the store) and the new album has yet to land anywhere on play yet.

(It really appears to be an issue with other services as well, as on Spotify the only album available is Taamu)
Yes.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNmf2ZqgWrZ/

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #931 on: December 07, 2016, 01:54:31 PM »

Offline AROCKS1

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: December 07, 2016, 02:10:32 PM »
Yes.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNmf2ZqgWrZ/
Thanks for the explanation..sad news for me

And btw, while I hear where he is coming from (assuming those numbers are factual) there has got to be a reason why many other artists are comfortable putting their new music on these services (Shlomie Gertner and Berri Webber both put their albums up right away for example). Maybe it's publicity or maybe there other royalties he isn't discussing, either way the real question is why BENNY in particular doesn't feel it's worthwhile but other artists do.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:31:05 PM by AROCKS1 »

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #933 on: December 07, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
Thanks for the explanation..sad news for me

And btw, while I hear where he is coming from (assuming those numbers are factual) there has got to be a reason why many other artists are comfortable putting their new music on these services (Shlomie Gertner and Berri Webber both put their albums up right away for example). Maybe it's publicity or maybe there other royalties he isn't discussing, either way the real question is why BENNY in particular doesn't feel it's worthwhile but other artists do.

Why would you doubt the numbers? Sruly Meyer is the one making the decisions. He seems willing and open to discussing, and is available on all social media platforms.
I would guess that Benny is far more popular than the two you mentioned. So while they might benefit from the added publicity which might lead to people buying the albums, Benny may lose out sales from people are who will just stream it instead of downloading. Just a guess. 

Offline AROCKS1

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: December 07, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »
Why would you doubt the numbers? Sruly Meyer is the one making the decisions. He seems willing and open to discussing, and is available on all social media platforms.
I would guess that Benny is far more popular than the two you mentioned. So while they might benefit from the added publicity which might lead to people buying the albums, Benny may lose out sales from people are who will just stream it instead of downloading. Just a guess.
I hear.. doesn't quite seem like a sufficient reason to me though, because I doubt other major artists (keeping in mind the thousands of goyishe ones too who probably put theirs up much quicker than Benny because if they didn't these  services wouldn't have as much friction as they do..just guessing) are willing to sacrifice their potential sales for publicity given the numbers Sruly is giving.

Be this as it may I wouldn't ask straight up on public forums like Twitter and Facebook etc...as I don't want to make a scene out of it, im just looking for a little more of an answer than he provided. I'll take what I can get, and make do without his newest albums though ..

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #935 on: December 07, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
Some seemed to like previous reviews, so here goes nothing.

Benny Friedman’s latest “fill the World with Light” album is a wonderful listen. Benny is gifted with a beautiful, pleasant and sweet voice, and he could choose to sing pretty much anything and it would sound good. His albums tend to lean toward modern pop*, and this one is no different. There is still plenty to enjoy even if pop isn’t your thing.

*I have no technical knowledge or understanding of music, or of the terms and names of music styles. So when I something like pop, jazz or rock, I’m pretty much just making it up, and saying what sounds right to me. But hey, this is an anonymous review online. I get to do what I want.

Oh, and if I can do what I want, I can refuse to use words and phrases used in virtualy every press release or review of a Jewish music album. So you won’t see phrases like fresh, the Jewish music scene/world (or more specifically, rock the Jewish music/world), fresh, blending a modern sound with the old traditional Yiddisheh taam, and did I say fresh?

Anyway, onward to the songs:

Ivri Anochi – This is the one that teenage girls and middle aged men trying too hard will pumping loudly through open car windows. The arrangement offers a Middle Eastern hora feel, but the song is unabashed pop. The catchy and repetitive chorus, peppy beat and proud Jew theme give this song all the hallmarks of a hit. Bonus points for the “I’m a Jew and I’m proud” bridge. I could do without the whooping and “heys,” but if that’s your thing, they’ll be coming back again with a vengeance.

Al Tishlach Yadcha – A simply beautiful song. Yes, Hebrew, is not my forte, but gone are the cheesy Hebrew lyrics from the likes of Yesh Tikvah and Ivri Anochi. This a haunting plea to our Father in heaven sung stunningly, with a simplistic arrangement that let’s Benny do the job without taking him over. Choir work could have been better, but that's a tiny quibble with an otherwise beautiful song.

Laasok, Al Yishallel and Ashirah are all great “sing along” kumzitz style songs which has become pretty popular nowadays. By far, my favorite of the three is Laasok, on which Mendy Hershkowitz does a fantastic job arranging. The swing, jazzy style along with the musical and vocal shticklach makes for a terrific song. Al yishallel is pretty, foot-tapping number, though Ashirah doesn’t do much for me.

Reb Yehoshua Omer – I’m sure this wasn’t easy to do - mixing spoken word audio into an up-tempo song – but it ends up as a fantastic tribute to Rabbi Gordon. Even though I’m not quite sure if or how the “Hu Avinu” lyrics match the chorus and bridge – it’s still a great tune, and masterfully put together. The song is called “Reb Yehoshua Omer” even though the quote is Rabbi Gordon quoting the Rebbe. I’ll leave it for others to say something deep about shlucho shel odom kemoso, or Torah nikreis al shmo :-P 

Fill the world with Light – I’m not a huge fan of the fake music, auto-tuned, overly synthesized sound, and especially not cheesy English lyrics. So a song arranged by Ian Freitor with nary a real instrument in earshot, and lyrics like “There’s a joy you just can’t hide when friends are by your side,” should suck, right? What can I say - I really like the song. It’s fun, upbeat, and it just works. Kudos all round. 

B’sefer Chaim & Kulam Sharim – Fun, catchy pop ditties, the former replete with a klezmer style clarinet arrangement and the latter with lots of whooping and hollering that makes me want to yell at Benny to GET OFF MY LAWN AND TURN OFF THE LOUD NOISE HE CALLS MUSIC.

Meloich – Another beautiful ballad. When I first heard this, I checked the album notes to see who composed it. I did that for only one other song – Es Tzemach. (Spoiler alert: both Yossi Green.) On many albums it feels like they throw in a few slow songs and hope something sticks. Here, there are a bunch of truly great songs, not a sleepy one in the bunch.

Es Tzemach - It also only took one listen for me to have “ki lishuoscho” stuck in my head. Yes, coworkers have been subject to my outbursts of the chorus at random times throughout the last few days. I’m not apologizing. I love the arrangement, the choir, the Yiddish bridge, the “chazanos” interlude in the middle, everything. The song is loooooooong, but worth it. Even clocking in at close to 8 minutes, they still couldn’t get enough of it and opted for the old-school fade. One more time, "ki lishuoscho kivinu kol hayom..."Ahh!*

*H/T SSY, OBM

Mehaira – Speaking of fresh – if there is one thing the Jewish music scene needed to rock its world, it was a slow mehaira with stirring strings, overbearing brass and sweet vocals. Hey - why not throw in a bird tweeting/nature sounds intro? Why no waterfall? Still, it is a nice song. They really went all out on the strings, which does take the song to another level musically.

Kol Y’mei Chayai is just…. meh.

Es Tzemach and Al Tishlach Yadcha are terrific standouts, but there is barely a weak song on the album. Nice job, Benny and Sruly.

Other reviews by yours truly: Shmueli 2, Inner Flame, Bishvili

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #936 on: December 07, 2016, 03:45:37 PM »
Some seemed to like previous reviews, so here goes nothing.

Benny Friedman’s latest “fill the World with Light” album is a wonderful listen. Benny is gifted with a beautiful, pleasant and sweet voice, and he could choose to sing pretty much anything and it would sound good. His albums tend to lean toward modern pop*, and this one is no different. There is still plenty to enjoy even if pop isn’t your thing.

*I have no technical knowledge or understanding of music, or of the terms and names of music styles. So when I something like pop, jazz or rock, I’m pretty much just making it up, and saying what sounds right to me. But hey, this is an anonymous review online. I get to do what I want.

Oh, and if I can do what I want, I can refuse to use words and phrases used in virtualy every press release or review of a Jewish music album. So you won’t see phrases like fresh, the Jewish music scene/world (or more specifically, rock the Jewish music/world), fresh, blending a modern sound with the old traditional Yiddisheh taam, and did I say fresh?

You forgot about "historic"
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 07, 2016, 04:07:38 PM »
Yehuda57: Really enjoyed your review (as I did your previous ones). I don't know the album too well yet, but I will listen with your perspective next time I hear it.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #938 on: December 08, 2016, 12:31:43 PM »
Sruly Meyer - the producer of Benny's CD wrote an "insider" look at making the album:
http://jewishmusicreport.com/2016/12/08/thoughts-on-the-making-of-fill-the-world-with-light/

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: December 08, 2016, 03:52:46 PM »
@yehuda57, keep the reviews coming! I love them!