Author Topic: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)  (Read 811069 times)

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)
« Reply #1080 on: March 05, 2017, 04:34:22 AM »
Another great new JM website: this one covers the darker side of things): https://jmunderground.wordpress.com
Check out @JewishAlternativeMusic2 on Telegram.

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: March 05, 2017, 04:44:11 AM »

Here is the cover art of the latest single by Matisyahu (remember him? ;)) Wow does he look ugly. Matis, you should've stayed straight!
FYI the single is the first off his upcoming album this spring, the first full length studio album since Akeda (though he has since released Live at stubbs 3 and Release the Bound EP).
Check it out here:

and here
https://open.spotify.com/album/6VdEcdU0JZeN7MSls3f53E

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: March 05, 2017, 10:48:21 AM »
I usually don't pay much attention to new singles from random singers, but I got caught on the cover design of one- there's a new single by Boruch Naftel, and the cover is very original. I didn't hear the song so I can't comment on that. Can't upload the cover art now, but check it out on JewishMusicReport.com

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: March 06, 2017, 07:29:46 AM »
STOP WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING!!!!
and go to iTunes or Amazon and preorder the new Nissim Lemala cd.
I myself just bought it (I bought it from him personally so I got it pre-release) and I promise you, this is the cd that will be on repeat this Purim. It's one of the most solid albums being released in Jewish music in a while, and the arrangements are amazing. Although four songs off it were already officially released, Hashem Melech 2.0 is the only one that remains untouched (and, amazingly, its probably the worst song on the album).The other 3 - Tagid Todah (Ein Shum Yeiush), Zman Cheruteinu, and A Million Years - are all completely rearranged and remixed, and they all sound awesome. A Million Years is going to be the hit song of the album (the earlier, far worsely arranged version has 2 million[!!!!] views on Youtube already), and the other songs thatr really stand out are Yachad - feat, DeScribe (remeber him?) and Real You. Believe me, it's worth the $11, and youll want to get this album before Purim. Its not being released to stores until Lag Baomer.
Almost all the songs are amazing, as the album is a 4-year effort and the sound of it reflects that.
If you read my earlier posts, you'll know that I don't exaggerate when it comes to music, and I'm not being paid by Nissim to promote this album. I was just so stunned the first time I heard this album that I had to go recommend it right away so that this album gets the Purim playtime it richly deserves. My prediction is that this album will be a gamechanger in Jewish music similar to 8th day's Yalili and Gad Elbaz's Hashem Melech. GO GET THIS ALBUM!!

BTW Nissim's earlier album and singles were all added to spotify in advance of this new album, but be careful as there's a goyishe artist with the same name. Besides his older stuff isn't any where near as good. You can also get a free mixtape of his, Miracle Music, at https://nissimworld.bandcamp.com/album/miracle-music.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: March 06, 2017, 07:42:59 AM »
STOP WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING!!!!
and go to iTunes or Amazon and preorder the new Nissim Lemala cd.
I myself just bought it (I bought it from him personally so I got it pre-release) and I promise you, this is the cd that will be on repeat this Purim. It's one of the most solid albums being released in Jewish music in a while, and the arrangements are amazing. Although four songs off it were already officially released, Hashem Melech 2.0 is the only one that remains untouched (and, amazingly, its probably the worst song on the album).The other 3 - Tagid Todah (Ein Shum Yeiush), Zman Cheruteinu, and A Million Years - are all completely rearranged and remixed, and they all sound awesome. A Million Years is going to be the hit song of the album (the earlier, far worsely arranged version has 2 million[!!!!] views on Youtube already), and the other songs thatr really stand out are Yachad - feat, DeScribe (remeber him?) and Real You. Believe me, it's worth the $11, and youll want to get this album before Purim. Its not being released to stores until Lag Baomer.
Almost all the songs are amazing, as the album is a 4-year effort and the sound of it reflects that.
If you read my earlier posts, you'll know that I don't exaggerate when it comes to music, and I'm not being paid by Nissim to promote this album. I was just so stunned the first time I heard this album that I had to go recommend it right away so that this album gets the Purim playtime it richly deserves. My prediction is that this album will be a gamechanger in Jewish music similar to 8th day's Yalili and Gad Elbaz's Hashem Melech. GO GET THIS ALBUM!!

BTW Nissim's earlier album and singles were all added to spotify in advance of this new album, but be careful as there's a goyishe artist with the same name. Besides his older stuff isn't any where near as good. You can also get a free mixtape of his, Miracle Music, at https://nissimworld.bandcamp.com/album/miracle-music.
Anywhere I can listen to a preview of his new album?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: March 06, 2017, 09:05:42 AM »
TheAsh: How would you rate the album in terms of "Yeshivish" vs. "Goyish"? Gad Elbaz? DeScribe? Mattisyahu?

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: March 06, 2017, 10:38:49 AM »
TheAsh: How would you rate the album in terms of "Yeshivish" vs. "Goyish"? Gad Elbaz? DeScribe? Mattisyahu?
That's a good question. Its definitely not yeshivish sounding, but it doesn't sound like he's trying to be goyish. He's just doing his thing and if it sounds not yeshivish, so be it. It definitely fits into the mainstream Jewish music of today, if not that of two-three years ago. Very similar to Gad Elbaz in that sense (obviously Nissim is far better than Gad).
Except for two songs (My Fire and and Real You), most of the album sounds the same or less goyish than Hashem Melech 2.0 and A Million Years, so if you're ok with that, you'll be ok with this. Definitely sounds much more Jewish than his debut album and compared to Matisyahu, it sounds like Yossele Rosenblatt.
It's a great album. Buy it!!

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1087 on: March 06, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »
most of the album sounds the same or less goyish than Hashem Melech 2.0
The same or less goyish than a goyishe song.....LOL
, it sounds like Yossele Rosenblatt.
It's a great album. Buy it!!
As it happens, Rosenblatt was heavily influenced by western european classical music composers.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: March 06, 2017, 10:43:56 AM »
Anywhere I can listen to a preview of his new album?
Nowhere yet, but 4 songs were already released (although the last 3 were redone for the album):
Hashem Melech 2.0:
)
Zman Chairuteinu:

Tagid Todah (Ein Shum Yeiush):
(free download here: https://nissimworld.bandcamp.com/track/tagid-todah-ein-shum-yeush)
and my favorite song this year, A Million Years:

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: March 06, 2017, 06:32:27 PM »
4) Shoovi - 3/5. An underwhelming Eli Schwebel song that tries too hard to be catchy.

It's actually an old German Kinna tune: http://www.kayj.net/nusach-internal/mm/24224.mp3
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 07, 2017, 05:31:50 AM »

this is Nissim's self-titled debut album cover. It's a much different style than his earlier stuff though.
Here is spotify link:
https://open.spotify.com/album/25dyHXfjCRq9F4yE1DElFH
and purchase link:
https://www.amazon.com/Nissim/dp/B00FASQ27C

I'll try to post a review of both albums iy"h (this and Lemala) when I have time.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: March 07, 2017, 10:16:23 AM »
The same or less goyish than a goyishe song....LOL
The question was "Yeshivish" vs. "Goyish", not "Jewish" vs. "Goyish", which would have different connotations.

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: March 08, 2017, 05:57:07 AM »
The question was "Yeshivish" vs. "Goyish", not "Jewish" vs. "Goyish", which would have different connotations.
Listen to the songs already released and decide yourself.

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: March 08, 2017, 06:08:10 AM »

It looks like it's a busy month for frum rap, besides for Nissim Lemala (out exclusively on itunes this friday), Chabad rapper Nosson Zand just released his 3rd album Brick Windows. Unlike Nissim, this album is very goyish in style though.
Check it out on Jmusic here: https://jmusic.me/nosson-zand-brick-windows/?lang=en. his older albums are also on Jmusic.
Music Video from new album here:

and here is Nosson with a still-bearded Matisyahu on his hit song Believers

Frum rapper Prodezra was also supposed to release an album this month but it looks like it's delayed.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 08, 2017, 07:17:57 AM »

It looks like it's a busy month for frum rap, besides for Nissim Lemala (out exclusively on itunes this friday), Chabad rapper Nosson Zand just released his 3rd album Brick Windows. Unlike Nissim, this album is very goyish in style though.
Check it out on Jmusic here: https://jmusic.me/nosson-zand-brick-windows/?lang=en. his older albums are also on Jmusic.
Music Video from new album here:

and here is Nosson with a still-bearded Matisyahu on his hit song Believers

Frum rapper Prodezra was also supposed to release an album this month but it looks like it's delayed.
What determines what a "jewish song" is? is it enough that the person singing is jewish or has a beard? And or it the content and even if a non jew sings it its still a jewish song?

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: March 09, 2017, 04:02:02 AM »
What determines what a "jewish song" is? is it enough that the person singing is jewish or has a beard? And or it the content and even if a non jew sings it its still a jewish song?
so, my Rav recently got asked that in a q&a session. A summary of his answer was - there is so much out there, trying to pick out the good from the bad (I think here he was referring to claiming certain non Jewish songs are muttar) is like picking out a needle from a haystack. Therefore you need to make a geder for yourself. A good place to start is by only listening to singers that are erlich and frum and look somewhat like yourself:)

Otherwise he said it's a slippery slope
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 09, 2017, 04:05:19 AM »

so, my Rav recently got asked that in a q&a session. A summary of his answer was - there is so much out there, trying to pick out the good from the bad (I think here he was referring to claiming certain non Jewish songs are muttar) is like picking out a needle from a haystack. Therefore you need to make a geder for yourself. A good place to start is by only listening to singers that are erlich and frum and look somewhat like yourself:)

Otherwise he said it's a slippery slope

Erlich and frum can never be judged by looks and looks don't make someone erlich and frum or their music appropriate.
Would your Rav approve of Y-Loves music?

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 09, 2017, 05:20:40 AM »

Erlich and frum can never be judged by looks and looks don't make someone erlich and frum or their music appropriate.
your missing the point, you have to make a firm line somewhere. After that line no one says its black and white, his point was you need that firm line, than after that there is what to discuss
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 09, 2017, 06:17:48 AM »

Not after he came out of the closet...
But before that, I did listen to him.
As far as Jewish is concerned, if the singer is frum, then it's Jewish for me.

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 09, 2017, 06:18:51 AM »