Author Topic: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)  (Read 810899 times)

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)
« Reply #1220 on: June 12, 2017, 01:52:50 PM »
How is the new MBD album ?
on first listen - decent, after 5 listens it's pretty good.

Online Essen est zich

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #1221 on: June 12, 2017, 03:00:29 PM »
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline ygygold

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 13, 2017, 11:50:24 AM »
on first listen - decent, after 5 listens it's pretty good.

Couldn't agree more. At first I was even a bit disappointed. But it grew on me, and you can't beat MBD's voice. No matter quality of music or the song selection.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1223 on: June 13, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
Tza'akah - A [Quiet] Review

MBD’s latest offering is great listen. Even if he can’t reproduce the magic and brilliance of his heyday, Tza’akah is a well rounded mix of fun, beautiful music.

Much like MBD’S last few albums, Tza’akah has Yeedle written all over it. Yeedle is a master of producing music that is eminently listenable, catchy, and singable. The album is replete with wordless oys and yos; ooohs, aahhs and nah nah nahs, the kind that you might burst into singing anywhere from he shower to grocery store. 

Many of the songs have parts which are reminiscent of MBD and Avraham Fried songs of old, including Keser Meluchah and Ashrei Haish* — though they are given more modern, and at times electronic, arrangements. 

I love the ballads on the album. They are pretty songs, sung beautifully, and arranged even better. Hinei Yamim is the most “dramatic” of the bunch, with a full orchestral and choir backing. My personal favorite, even though it highlights MBD’s fading vocals, is “Hineni Rofeh Loch,” which quickly took up residence in my head and is showing no signs of leaving. Ve’anpoho Nehirin and Yaaleh are classics in that you’ll feel you have heard them before, but they are all beautiful songs.
In Psach Lanu Shaar, a pleasant ballad dressed as more of a kumzitz song — we get a cameo from Motti Steinmetz, who, if Youtube is to be trusted, seems to be someone MBD really enjoys singing with.

Overall, the theme is pleasant, singable songs. Even the uptempo songs, like Kol Haneshama and Bo’ee Kallah, remain soft and almost relaxing, with none quite hitting “rock” territory or getting to fast and furious.

The true strong point of the album is the music. A forgettable song like “Havel Havalim” is given a great swingy, jazzy arrangement that makes it loads of fun. The same goes for Kavsah Achas — just a fantastic arrangement to an otherwise “meh” song, thought that nah nah nah is going to be heard all over the place.

The biggest weakness of the album is how repetitive it is. Most songs have a handful of words which get repeated over and over again. If the music wasn’t as good as it is, it would be difficult to listen to some of these songs.

The one perplexing song to me is the title track, Tza’akah, which seems to me like it was a ballad put put to a fast disco beat, and I’m not a fan. I would love to hear the song redone much slower with a more acoustic arrangement — any takers?

While the album doesn’t have any truly standout songs, all told it is a wonderful, solid album that gets better with each listen.

*One hook in Ashrei Ha’ish bears a striking resemblance to “Blurred Lines,” which I did not appreciate (not least because it made me and my crack team of goyish music researchers go find which song was tugging at my memory).

Other reviews by yours truly: Shmueli 2, Inner Flame, Bishvili, Fill the World with Light

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 14, 2017, 07:30:53 AM »

MBD’s latest offering is great listen. Even if he can’t reproduce the magic and brilliance of his heyday, Tza’akah is a well rounded mix of fun, beautiful music.

Much like MBD’S last few albums, Tza’akah has Yeedle written all over it. Yeedle is a master of producing music that is eminently listenable, catchy, and singable. The album is replete with wordless oys and yos; ooohs, aahhs and nah nah nahs, the kind that you might burst into singing anywhere from he shower to grocery store.

Many of the songs have parts which are reminiscent of MBD and Avraham Fried songs of old, including Keser Meluchah and Ashrei Haish* — though they are given more modern, and at times electronic, arrangements.

I love the ballads on the album. They are pretty songs, sung beautifully, and arranged even better. Hinei Yamim is the most “dramatic” of the bunch, with a full orchestral and choir backing. My personal favorite, even though it highlights MBD’s fading vocals, is “Hineni Rofeh Loch,” which quickly took up residence in my head and is showing no signs of leaving. Ve’anpoho Nehirin and Yaaleh are classics in that you’ll feel you have heard them before, but they are all beautiful songs.
In Psach Lanu Shaar, a pleasant ballad dressed as more of a kumzitz song — we get a cameo from Motti Steinmetz, who, if Youtube is to be trusted, seems to be someone MBD really enjoys singing with.

Overall, the theme is pleasant, singable songs. Even the uptempo songs, like Kol Haneshama and Bo’ee Kallah, remain soft and almost relaxing, with none quite hitting “rock” territory or getting to fast and furious.

The true strong point of the album is the music. A forgettable song like “Havel Havalim” is given a great swingy, jazzy arrangement that makes it loads of fun. The same goes for Kavsah Achas — just a fantastic arrangement to an otherwise “meh” song, thought that nah nah nah is going to be heard all over the place.

The biggest weakness of the album is how repetitive it is. Most songs have a handful of words which get repeated over and over again. If the music wasn’t as good as it is, it would be difficult to listen to some of these songs.

The one perplexing song to me is the title track, Tza’akah, which seems to me like it was a ballad put put to a fast disco beat, and I’m not a fan. I would love to hear the song redone much slower with a more acoustic arrangement — any takers?

While the album doesn’t have any truly standout songs, all told it is a wonderful, solid album that gets better with each listen.

*One hook in Ashrei Ha’ish bears a striking resemblance to “Blurred Lines,” which I did not appreciate (not least because it made me and my crack team of goyish music researchers go find which song was tugging at my memory).

Other reviews by yours truly: Shmueli 2, Inner Flame, Bishvili, Fill the World with Light
Yehuda57, can I post this review on That'sFrum?
Check out @JewishAlternativeMusic2 on Telegram.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #1225 on: June 14, 2017, 07:56:03 AM »
Pm

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 14, 2017, 09:11:29 AM »
What do you guys think about this?

Like.

I think the dedication is to the girl who took her life. Assuming that she was the inspiration as well.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 14, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »
How long until mbd's new album will be available on amazon digital?

Online Essen est zich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #1228 on: June 15, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »
Does anyone have a Spotify playlist that they can share that they put together of great jewish music/top hits? Tia.
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #1229 on: June 21, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »

That does that count as a "like"?  :P

Offline aro123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: June 21, 2017, 04:39:42 PM »
How long until mbd's new album will be available on amazon digital?
It is available to buy as mp3 download

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1231 on: June 21, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »
It is available to buy as mp3 download
And is a part of Unlimited.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #1232 on: June 22, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
Song of the Day:

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: June 26, 2017, 08:16:02 AM »

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 27, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »
New review on Nachas 2 Emes up on ThatsFrum
http://www.thatsfrum.com/2017/06/nachas-emes-recaptures-spirit-of-the-chevra-album-review.html
I think its probably my best written piece yet.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: June 27, 2017, 12:00:23 PM »

While I don't enjoy his music, I loved your review!

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #1236 on: June 27, 2017, 12:07:20 PM »

I have lots of thoughts. When I have a few minutes, and can figure out how to put them without being too harsh on some singers and performers, I'll share. But I will say you made your case very well.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 27, 2017, 03:41:01 PM »

First of all, as usual, unbelievable review.

Why don't you mention the song "father"? IMO it's the best song on the album. MBD's voice is so clear and fresh. The lyrics are brilliant (I don't understand how Lipa can sometimes be so brilliant, and sometimes so foolish?).

Also Yaaleh's high part is extremely original, I wouldn't include it in the "are classics in that you’ll feel you have heard them before" category.

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: June 27, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »

Why don't you mention the song "father"? IMO it's the best song on the album. MBD's voice is so clear and fresh. The lyrics are brilliant (I don't understand how Lipa can sometimes be so brilliant, and sometimes so foolish?).

Also Yaaleh's high part is extremely original, I wouldn't include it in the "are classics in that you’ll feel you have heard them before" category.
+1
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline Yankee123

• View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 27, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »

Dont know anything about the CD. What does Lipa have to do with it? is he featured in it or did he compose it?