Author Topic: The Road to Maui: The Path Well Taken by MP and Co.  (Read 25089 times)

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
Re: The Road to Maui: The Path Well Taken by MP and Co.
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2015, 01:32:08 PM »
So, if it's closed, the best way to go from Wailea/Haleakala to Olivine Pools/Nakalele Blowhole is to go counterclockwise and turn around as soon as you do those 2 sights?
Getting to the Olivine pools from the hotels was no issue (clockwise), attempting to drive much farther is not really doable, unless you time it that you will miss the construction.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2015, 01:33:04 PM »
Getting to the Olivine pools from the hotels was no issue, attempting to drive much farther is not really doable, unless you time it that you will miss the construction.
It's also worth pointing out that the road only gets super narrow past the Olivine Pools if you're driving clockwise.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2015, 01:34:58 PM »
However, I wouldn't think they'd still be under construction when you go. That would be 4 months past their estimated completion date. I'd check before you go to be sure. Also, if you didn't check and started going counterclockwise, they'd have signs about 10 minutes past the airport letting you know the road is closed, so you wouldn't be going too far out of your way.
There are projects in HI that last years past their estimated completion date.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2015, 01:36:04 PM »
There are projects in HI that last years past their estimated completion date.
:o I guess that's part of the laid back, relaxed attitude. The only other option is to go on a weekend or holiday like I did.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »
Even if it's not closed that's arguably the way to go.  There are probably better things to spend your time on.
I'd also probably recommend skipping the dragon's teeth.
Did you mean better things than seeing the beaches, etc. on the other side of WM? Or better things than Olivine/Nakalele?
I think I'd skip the teeth as well.

Based on the conversation going on, I think I have circled in red correctly below the area where the road is closed? Therefore, you need to go the "long" clockwise way and then turn around? According to the map, that's only a 15 minute longer route. Doesn't seem so bad.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2015, 02:05:57 PM »
Did you mean better things than seeing the beaches, etc. on the other side of WM? Or better things than Olivine/Nakalele?

Based on the conversation going on, I think I have circled in red correctly below the area where the road is closed? Therefore, you need to go the "long" clockwise way and then turn around? According to the map, that's only a 15 minute longer route. Doesn't seem so bad.

That's the correct location, although it's not quite that long.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »

Google's wrong.
It's much faster to turn around than to drive through the portion in the red circle.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
Even if it's not closed that's arguably the way to go.  There are probably better things to spend your time on.
I'd also probably recommend skipping the dragon's teeth.

Why?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2015, 02:19:54 PM »
Really just depends on your schedule.  You'd be better off hiking the acid blowhole than spending the time finding the dragon's teeth.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2015, 02:23:59 PM »
Google's wrong.
It's much faster to turn around than to drive through the portion in the red circle.
Sorry - that was not a Google routing of Wailea-Olivine-Wailea. It's just Wailea-Olivine.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2015, 02:25:49 PM »
Sorry - that was not a Google routing of Wailea-Olivine-Wailea. It's just Wailea-Olivine.
Regardless, google is wrong. No way is Wailea-Olivine just 70 minutes via HI-340.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2015, 07:56:51 PM »
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Ydad

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2015, 08:52:38 PM »
Really not much to see there.
So you just go to target?

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2015, 11:34:04 PM »
So you just go to target?
Target was on the way back from the crater. I couldn't have avoided it if i wanted.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2015, 11:42:06 PM »
Target was on the way back from the crater. I couldn't have avoided it if i wanted.
Of course not.  That helps to pay for the trip

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2015, 12:32:19 AM »
Did you find the rainbow eucalyptus trees in the end?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2015, 12:33:06 AM »
Did you find the rainbow eucalyptus trees in the end?
Going to make that our stop/trip before we leave to LA tomorrow.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2015, 12:33:18 AM »
Hawaii Day Seven:

Today we planned to go to Haleakala. Lots of people go for sunrise and it’s incredible views, but part of travelling with a kid is compromising and missing out on certain things. We left the hotel around 8:30 after booking a flight to LAX for tomorrow and had about an hour and a half until we were to reach the summit.

The first half of the drive is the same as going to the RTH and anything on that side of the island. To get to Haleakala, you start on the RTH and veer right and inland. Our timing seemed good as we did not have any early morning sunrise rush, and we did not have the midday traffic. The road up to the Haleakala and the crater is very spacious by Hawaii standards and I think had only one location where it was one lane only. One thing to be on the lookout for, are all the bikers. There are serious bikers making the climb (~10,000 feet in elevation) and there are tourists who are part of a tour that bike down the mountain. These are the ones to really look out for. Aside from the bikers and some perilous turns as you climb through the clouds with no railings, it is an amazing drive. The roads are windy and not meant to be sped through (not that one can really do that if they tried), and the drive up is one you don’t want to miss. You will likely have your camera out of the window most of the way up trying to get pictures.

Not too far from the summit, there is a lookout with a small trail that leads to an incredible alternate view of the crater. The name of the lookout is Leleiwi, and be sure not to miss it and the short hike. After you pick your mouth of f the floor and walk back to your car, it is a short drive to the summit. The summit has a visitor center and hut type structure where one can see the crater and read some facts on the area. It is nice to get some pictures, but not much else to do up there. The way down you can coast the whole way and not even hit the gas. We did get stuck in some really thick cloud cover, making it feel like a bad horror movie at times.

Before we hit the main road back into town, we made a detour to Makawao. Makawao is a very small town and has one real “main” road with some nice walking. There is a glass blowing shop where you can see live demos, some small stores and art shops as well as the Makawao museum. The Makawao museum is a very small store front with some placards and information up about the town. There are a couple of saddles as well, which you can sit in and take your picture with a cowboy hat on.

After this stop, we headed back into town and made a stop at the recently opened Target to take care of some business and then drove back to the hotel. We made a brief stop at the hotel for a light lunch and snacks, and then headed out to Honolua Bay for some snorkeling. The bay is about fifteen minutes from the hotel and offers a nice ten-minute walk through the forests to the edge of the water. There is no real place to sit, rather just dump your stuff on the rocks and head into the water. While not packed when we got there, it was not empty either. The water was a bit murky, but once you made it a bit offshore, you could see some coral and fish.

After the snorkeling, we went back to the hotel for some more kid friendly swimming and a quick soak in the hot tub. Had the hotel warm up some leftovers, stopped off for a drink at the Regency Club and came back to the room, showered and cleaned up in time to answer the door and our dinner. I will now leave you, have some dinner and hope to have another installment from LA tomorrow.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2015, 12:39:38 AM »
So I take it you didn't walk the Sliding Sands trail at all? Did yo make it to the peak, up the road from the visitor's center?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:43:20 AM by Yehoshua »

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2015, 12:42:18 AM »
So I take it you didn't walk the Winding Sands trail at all? Did yo make it to the peak, up the road from the visitor's center?
We did do some walking around, but nothing specific.

We were able to drive right up to the base of the peak from the visitors center.

Personally, i found the lookout from Leleiwi to be much better and more enjoyable.
Quaerite et Invenietis.