Author Topic: Savings/investments/bonds Master Thread.  (Read 132278 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Savings/investments/bonds Master Thread.
« Reply #700 on: March 19, 2023, 11:43:49 PM »
Any thoughts on investing in RE v. the stock market (assume S&P500 index fund or ETF)? RE would be through a syndicator—not my own time and effort managing. There seems to be two very significant advantages to RE: leverage and tax benefits of depreciation. I understand that the latter is often close to the dull amount of rental income, at least until there is a capital event. At that point, tax can be further deferred via 1031 exchange. Has this been discussed already?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 19, 2023, 11:59:17 PM »
There seems to be two very significant advantages to RE: leverage and tax benefits of depreciation.
You get these benefits even when investing through syndication?

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 20, 2023, 12:08:43 AM »
You get these benefits even when investing through syndication?
Sure. They finance approx 80% of the deal and deals are generally structured as LLCs where you have a membership interest (and so are entitled to tax deprecation).
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online whacked1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 20, 2023, 10:32:06 AM »
Any thoughts on investing in RE v. the stock market (assume S&P500 index fund or ETF)? RE would be through a syndicator—not my own time and effort managing. There seems to be two very significant advantages to RE: leverage and tax benefits of depreciation. I understand that the latter is often close to the dull amount of rental income, at least until there is a capital event. At that point, tax can be further deferred via 1031 exchange. Has this been discussed already?
When you are an LP, its difficult to rely on 1031 unless you are sticking with the GP. RE two major cons; 1) capital calls and 2) your money isnt liquid. The depreciation is great, however, for most it would be limited unless they file as a real estate professional...

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #705 on: March 20, 2023, 10:36:27 AM »

There are obviously major differences (syndication probably should legally be only for accredited investors).

1. Liquidity.
2. Liquidity.
3. Liquidity.
4. Control by single GP vs control by shareholders/board.
5. Ability to invest Tax Qualified money (various types of retirement accounts or HSAs)

There are probably more, but the first 3 are definitely what comes to mind right away (various issues that come to play from the fact that it's an illiquid private investment).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline gozalim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 20, 2023, 02:51:51 PM »

is the return/structure otherwise very different?

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 20, 2023, 04:03:39 PM »
As far as leverage, depending on the fed's path, that might turn out to be a disadvantage for RE.

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Savings/investments/bonds Master Thread.
« Reply #709 on: March 20, 2023, 04:22:01 PM »
There are obviously major differences (syndication probably should legally be only for accredited investors).

5. Ability to invest Tax Qualified money (various types of retirement accounts or HSAs)

On the other hand, for non-Tax advantaged money - RE provides tax benefits that stocks don't.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #710 on: March 20, 2023, 04:32:42 PM »
On the other hand, for non-Tax advantaged money - RE provides tax benefits that stocks don't.

Correct. Though for a passive investor less so than an active investor (RE Professional) IINM.

Also, 1031s are a trap IMHO. While current tax law gives a get-out-of-jail-free from that trap at death (step-up in basis), it is low-hanging fruit for any significant tax changes (and could distort investment decisions during lifetime).
-- Dan

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 20, 2023, 05:25:37 PM »

1. Liquidity.
2. Liquidity.
3. Liquidity.
4. Control by single GP vs control by shareholders/board.

There are probably more, but the first 3 are definitely what comes to mind right away (various issues that come to play from the fact that it's an illiquid private investment).

All really good points. I’d also add a couple more:

1. Diversification. Unless you have enough capital to invest in a whole bunch of deals in different asset classes and different markets, you’re not going to get much diversification in RE deals.

2. Due diligence. Unless you have the time and expertise, your DD on a syndicated deal is unlikely to be thorough enough.  Unless you hire an objective, trusted third party to do your DD, you’re putting a huge amount of trust in the syndicator and GP. You have to be certain that they have both the trustworthiness to honestly present the opportunity, and the skills to execute on the strategy.

3. Transparency. Depending on the type of deal, financials often don't tell the whole story. Once you invest, you’re more or less limited to whatever the GP want to tell you, so it’s hard to know how things are really doing. (Mind you, if you have no liquidity it doesn’t really matter because you have no recourse if things go south, but at least you can push people for more info if you have some transparency.)

I think RE deals can be a great investment for people who don’t need liquidity, have sufficient capital to be properly diversified, and who can either understand the nitty gritty of the investment, or who have a GP who they trust and has the skills to execute.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 20, 2023, 05:25:40 PM »
Correct. Though for a passive investor less so than an active investor (RE Professional) IINM.

Also, 1031s are a trap IMHO. While current tax law gives a get-out-of-jail-free from that trap at death (step-up in basis), it is low-hanging fruit for any significant tax changes (and could distort investment decisions during lifetime).

There are other strategies that can mitigate the tax deferal too.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 20, 2023, 05:40:46 PM »
There are other strategies that can mitigate the tax deferal too.

Are we going to start discussing the mechanics of NIMCRUTs here?  ;D
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 20, 2023, 06:47:28 PM »
Are we going to start discussing the mechanics of NIMCRUTs here?  ;D
That wasn't even what I was referring to, but no need for details here.

Online aygart

• View Profile

Offline yomo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 20, 2023, 08:25:55 PM »
When you are an LP, its difficult to rely on 1031 unless you are sticking with the GP. RE two major cons; 1) capital calls and 2) your money isnt liquid. The depreciation is great, however, for most it would be limited unless they file as a real estate professional...
What do you mean?

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 21, 2023, 06:55:56 AM »
As far as leverage, depending on the fed's path, that might turn out to be a disadvantage for RE.
You mean that high rates will cause dip in RE prices?

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 21, 2023, 06:58:08 AM »

By trap you mean that it may be legislated away?

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 21, 2023, 08:11:00 AM »
By trap you mean that it may be legislated away?

No. I mean that when one has an ever growing tax DEFERRAL it becomes harder to make a move that will cause actual taxation, which could lead to skewed investment decisions (the tax tail wagging the dog).
-- Dan