Author Topic: Rebooking return trip on a LANpass award ticket  (Read 977 times)

Offline milechazzer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Rebooking return trip on a LANpass award ticket
« on: January 26, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
I am trying to book a round trip award ticket from NYC to Montreal on AA, using LANpass points.  Problem is that there is very limited outbound availability (NYC-YUL) and plenty of return availabilty. Since it would cost around $475 to buy the round trip ticket, I figure it would make more sense to buy a one-way LGA-YUL ticket ($235) and book the return flight for 12,500 AA miles.  Then it occurred to me that I might get better value if I use 16k LANpass points to book the return flight. LANpass only does round-trip awards, so I would have to book my return flight as the outbound flight on a round-trip award ticket, but I would have no use for the return half of the ticket.

Will I be getting better value if I use 16,000 LAN points instead of 12,500 AA miles?
Is there anything I can do with the return half of the LAN ticket, if I have no intention of returing to Montreal in the near future?

Thanks for your help.

Offline moe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rebooking return trip on a LANpass award ticket
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:05:02 PM »
I guess Lan is a better deal (despite the pain dealing with them), but in regards to the return, you may as well put it in for 1 year from now, like this if you ever need the other 1 way (same route only) you can change it for $30. My opinion.

Offline me

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rebooking return trip on a LANpass award ticket
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
Lan obviously is your better option. But you have to take things into account. Do you have points in lan? (It could take up to 2 weeks to transfer)