Author Topic: Countries With Strict Rules On Bringing In Food  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Countries With Strict Rules On Bringing In Food
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 10:01:04 AM »
I didn't let my wife bring chewing gum to Singapore. Was probably a bit too cautious but with countries like that it's certainly better to err on the side of caution.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 10:04:34 AM »
i believe i fulfilled all written requirements. if necessary, i would have escalated the situation to a higher up to prove my case. it was moot, though, since the agent let it through regardless.

my point was only that they dont necessarily "enforce to the T their rules" since my specific agent didnt think i fulfilled the requirements "to the T" yet still let it in

but of course it would not be wise to go in relying on getting a nice agent

Your first sentence is the most important.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 10:44:27 AM »
Australia is about 10x as strict as NZ.

It's unbelievable.

Depends where.

PER is super strict. And they pull over every single person who looks Frum for a full check

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
Your first sentence is the most important.
the bottom line is that in 2012, the customs requirements were: "Personal quantities of commercially canned, retorted or hermetically sealed meat, vegetable and fruit products are permitted subject to inspection on arrival. The products must be hermetically sealed in metal cans, retort pouches or glass jars and they must not require refrigeration to maintain quality." " 'Hermetically sealed’ means airtight; completely sealed from the atmosphere, so that when sealed it does not allow micro organisms or any other material to enter it. Retortable pouches are currently approved by AQIS and are subject to the same entry requirements as canned commodities. These pouches are distinct from vacuum packs which must be treated as uncanned product."plastic containers that have heat sealed lids or lids closed by a double seam (excludes those with snap or plastic lids)."

does la briute and meal mart fit the bill? to me and to many others it sure does, but to my agent for some reason it didnt. had he not allowed us through, there would have been hell to pay. i wasnt prepared to starve for 2.5 weeks without putting up a good fight.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 11:41:49 AM »
Airports@aqis.gov.au gave quick replies and made me comfortable bringing in meat and dairy LB meals.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »
Airports@aqis.gov.au gave quick replies and made me comfortable bringing in meat and dairy LB meals.
the above quotes were from their email to you

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
We brought and declared snacks, chocolate bars, and la briute meals into Australia without issue.
Ain Mayviim Rayah M'Dan...
:)
^^^

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 12:08:30 PM »
the bottom line is that in 2012, the customs requirements were: "Personal quantities of commercially canned, retorted or hermetically sealed meat, vegetable and fruit products are permitted subject to inspection on arrival. The products must be hermetically sealed in metal cans, retort pouches or glass jars and they must not require refrigeration to maintain quality." " 'Hermetically sealed’ means airtight; completely sealed from the atmosphere, so that when sealed it does not allow micro organisms or any other material to enter it. Retortable pouches are currently approved by AQIS and are subject to the same entry requirements as canned commodities. These pouches are distinct from vacuum packs which must be treated as uncanned product."plastic containers that have heat sealed lids or lids closed by a double seam (excludes those with snap or plastic lids)."

does la briute and meal mart fit the bill? to me and to many others it sure does, but to my agent for some reason it didnt. had he not allowed us through, there would have been hell to pay. i wasnt prepared to starve for 2.5 weeks without putting up a good fight.

I agree with you that meal mart and la briute fit the bill, as they are both "retorted."

Your agent wasn't "nice," he was "uninformed."  The fact is that AU allows retorted food to come in. I, too, would have sought a supervisor.

All you've done is evidence that you abided by AU rules, found an agent who seemed not to know them, but were ultimately let in despite his ignorance on the basis that he was "nice."

Yet none of the foregoing means that AU does not have strict customs rules. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 12:15:42 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 12:28:43 PM »
Who you calling retorted?

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 05:22:11 AM »
I agree with you that meal mart and la briute fit the bill, as they are both "retorted."

Your agent wasn't "nice," he was "uninformed."  The fact is that AU allows retorted food to come in. I, too, would have sought a supervisor.

All you've done is evidence that you abided by AU rules, found an agent who seemed not to know them, but were ultimately let in despite his ignorance on the basis that he was "nice."

Yet none of the foregoing means that AU does not have strict customs rules. 
at the end of the day it boils down to interpretation. the agent knew the rules, i discussed it with him. for whatever reason he felt it didnt conform 100%. it wasnt important for me to get a full understanding as to why he felt that way, since he ultimately allowed it in as it conformed with the 'spirit' of the law in his opinion.

i never insinuated that that AU doesnt have strict customs rules, but rather the impression people have that the AU customs agents are bloodhounds looking to tear people apart. while that might be the case if one doesnt declare, ime, when i declared, that was certainly not so. our agent was friendly, understanding, and allowed something through that he didnt feel fit the criteria 100% as long as it fit the bill at least in spirit
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:58:53 AM by moish »

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 07:27:29 AM »
Well stated and explained.
And that is exactly what I meant... people are people.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
at the end of the day it boils down to interpretation. the agent knew the rules, i discussed it with him. for whatever reason he felt it didnt conform 100%. it wasnt important for me to get a full understanding as to why he felt that way, since he ultimately allowed it in as it conformed with the 'spirit' of the law in his opinion.

i never insinuated that that AU doesnt have strict customs rules, but rather the impression people have that the AU customs agents are bloodhounds looking to tear people apart. while that might be the case if one doesnt declare, ime, when i declared, that was certainly not so. our agent was friendly, understanding, and allowed something through that he didnt feel fit the criteria 100% as long as it fit the bill at least in spirit

After all that, I think I must have gotten the same agent as you :P

Guy couldn't have been nicer; then again, all my stuff complied with import rules; then again again, he didn't check the whole suitcase...

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2015, 02:51:33 PM »
Jamaica could be strict. Bribing has gotten harder.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2015, 02:54:56 PM »
anyone want to work on this wiki ?

post here
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline mordechain

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 03:43:07 PM »
Any one with experience in Costa Rica? I'm considering a trip this summer. TIA

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »
Any one with experience in Costa Rica? I'm considering a trip this summer. TIA
I know someone had all their meat confiscated last year.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »
Australia is about 10x as strict as NZ.

It's unbelievable.