Author Topic: Credit question  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Jm1248

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Credit question
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:23:52 AM »
Not sure if this belongs in any existing thread but I have an interesting question. I was checking through my credit report yesterday & saw my revolving credit balance was over 20k. I knew that didn't make sense because I'm careful to pay off cc's before statement hits. So I checked through all my cc's and found that I'm an authorized user on one of my dads cards from a long time ago that I forgot about. The balance on that card is 20k. The thing is that this puts my oldest card 8 years older than any of my own cards. So
a) Is it worth removing myself as an au to get rid of the high balance whilst sacrificing my longest open card?
b) will it help to remove myself as au? Or the account is still open so it will still be reported as active?

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Credit question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 09:25:28 AM »
Not sure if this belongs in any existing thread but I have an interesting question. I was checking through my credit report yesterday & saw my revolving credit balance was over 20k. I knew that didn't make sense because I'm careful to pay off cc's before statement hits. So I checked through all my cc's and found that I'm an authorized user on one of my dads cards from a long time ago that I forgot about. The balance on that card is 20k. The thing is that this puts my oldest card 8 years older than any of my own cards. So
a) Is it worth removing myself as an au to get rid of the high balance whilst sacrificing my longest open card?
b) will it help to remove myself as au? Or the account is still open so it will still be reported as active?
It will still help the average age for some time

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 09:27:10 AM »
Can't the bill be paid off ?
Here's a good place to post for the future.

Offline Jm1248

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 09:56:25 AM »
Can't the bill be paid off ?
Here's a good place to post for the future.
Thanx. I guess it can't be paid off right now. I don't know. not really my place to ask