Author Topic: RIP/BDE Master Thread  (Read 417739 times)

Offline UKinNYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline R.A.T.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: RIP/BDE Master Thread
« Reply #1761 on: June 16, 2023, 04:04:31 PM »
Daniel Ellsberg

Offline Essen est zich

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #1762 on: June 18, 2023, 09:34:49 AM »
https://anash.org/rabbi-meir-harlig-86-ah/

Reb Meir Harlig was born on 6 Elul 5696 in Zurich, Switzerland. His father, Rabbi Mordechai Harlig, served as a rav in Vienna before World War II. The elder Rabbi Harlig’s uncle was the famous Reb Meir Shapiro of Lublin whom Reb Meir was named after.

In Vienna, he became acquainted with the Frierdiker Rebbe, who would periodically visit the city. During those trips, he had the merit to assist the Frierdiker Rebbe in various ways.

Rabbi Mordechai Harlig arrived in the United States with his family in 5700, and took up a position as a rav of a shul in Crown Heights. The close proximity to 770 led to further encounters with the Frierdiker Rebbe.

“The Frierdiker Rebbe once called a meeting of rabbonim, and my father was one of the attendees. I came along with my father to 770 and waited in the hallway while the meeting took place in the Frierdiker Rebbe’s room. At the conclusion of the meeting, my father requested permission to remain in yechidus for a moment. He used the opportunity to ask for a bracha for my mother, who was not feeling well at the time,” Reb Meir recalled in his interview with Derher.

“My father then mentioned my name to the Frierdiker Rebbe, and Rabbi Eliyahu Simpson, the mazkir, (or maybe the Frierdiker Rebbe himself) said ‘er iz doh—he is here,’ so the Frierdiker Rebbe told me to come in. He picked up the right side of his kapota, and gave me his tzitzis to kiss. I was about seven or eight years old,” he recalled.

Another time Reb Meir saw the Frierdiker Rebbe was at a farbrengen in the small zal, on Yud Beis Tammuz 5706 or 5707.

When the Harligs arrived in America, there were two religious schools: Torah Vadaas and Lubavitch Yeshiva. Being that he was a Chossid, Rabbi Harlig sent his son Meir to Lubavitch.

Years passed, and on Yud Shevat 5710 the Frierdiker Rebbe was nistalek. Reb Meir was among those attending the levaya. A year later, he was also present at the farbrengen of Yud Shevat 5711 where the Rebbe formally accepted the nesius.

As a bochur in the early 5710s, Reb Meir was a beneficiary of the particularly close attention that the Rebbe accorded the bochurim during those years. The Rebbe would be regularly apprised of each bochur’s situation in frequent duchos submitted by the hanhala, and every bochur would enter yechidus twice each year.

Once, the rosh yeshiva Rabbi Mordechai Mentlik submitted a list of bochurim and inquired as to which subjects the different bochurim should be learning. For some, it was Yoreh De’ah, for others shechita or something else. The Rebbe reacted with surprise about Reb Meir learning shechita. “The son of a rov learning shechita?” the Rebbe asked.

Together with this close attention came personal horaos, sometimes on the topic of keeping sidrei hayeshiva.

“Once I came down with hay fever. The doctor first prescribed me some pill, then a different pill, and then he said that I need an injection. I received the injection in his office, and while I was waiting for the bus to take me home, the nurse came running after me saying that the doctor had given me the wrong injection, so he called me back. My hand had already gotten a bit swollen so he gave me an antidote, and sent me home in a taxi,” Reb Meir recalled.

“A few weeks later I went into yechidus before my birthday, and I wrote the whole story in my tzetel. The
Rebbe looked up at me, and told me as follows: ‘Es iz doh a naye erfindung—There is a new invention for all of this; if you will be careful not to miss the morning seder Chassidus and the night seder Chassidus, all of the issues will go away.’ Over the next two or three years, I didn’t miss a single seder,” he said.

Over the years, Reb Meir was given numerous jobs and tasks, and ultimately, he took care of many
functions at 770—buying the cake and wine for the Rebbe’s farbrengen, setting up the Rebbe’s place, and many other roles. Reb Meir also had the merit to help the Rebbe personally in a variety of ways.

To anyone visiting 770 for close to forty years, Reb Meir was a constant part of the scene. Every farbrengen, every davening, every krias haTorah, Reb Meir was loath to miss an opportunity to be in the Rebbe’s presence. When his children were still young, he would bring them along as well to take part in the Rebbe’s minyan and farbrengen.

When Reb Meir got married, his father planned to host a large kiddush and sheva brachos at his shul on
Shabbos. But Reb Meir soon broke the news to him that he would not be able to attend—that week was Shabbos Mevorchim and the Rebbe would be holding a farbrengen.

Hearing that, his father went into yechidus. He told the Rebbe, that he understands that the aufruf will obviously take place in 770, but his balebatim are expecting that the Shabbos sheva brachos celebration take place in his shul, with their participation. The Rebbe told him that he shouldn’t try to change Meir’s mind. Instead, the Rebbe suggested that my father should make a large sheva brachos on Motzei Shabbos, with all of the balebatim, and that way they would be satisfied.

Starting from 5722, Reb Meir was assigned to receive the Rebbe’s daled minim after the Rebbe had bentched on them and hold them as the chassidim would line up to use them. Each year, he would go to the Rebbe’s sukkah each day of Sukkos, take the daled minim that the Rebbe had just used and stand for hours, giving each chossid the chance to say the bracha on them.

One of the most common roles that Reb Meir filled was the organizer and master of ceremonies at many
farbrengens that Chassidim held in 770. For decades, he would host the farbrengen and seudas hoda’a on Rosh Chodesh Kislev in 770, celebrating the Rebbe’s recovery and return home on Rosh Chodesh Kislev 5738. Reb Meir organized this farbrengen since the very first anniversary, in 5739.
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline AMH

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Platinum,Star Alliance Gold, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's circle, Europcar privilege Elite, Marriot Gold
« Reply #1763 on: June 18, 2023, 10:14:53 AM »
Rebbetzin Dina Perkowski a”h
👆 אהבת חינם

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: June 20, 2023, 11:07:22 PM »

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #1765 on: June 27, 2023, 06:11:15 AM »
https://www.pcgamer.com/john-goodenough-the-man-most-responsible-for-developing-the-batteries-powering-our-mobile-lives-dies-aged-100/

John Goodenough, the man most responsible for developing the batteries powering our mobile lives, dies aged 100
By Chris Szewczyk published about 3 hours ago
The world's oldest Nobel Prize winner.

John Goodenough, A US materials scientist and Nobel Prize winner regarded as the key figure behind the development of the ubiquitous lithium-ion battery, has died aged 100.

Goodenough's decades of work in the field of material science and energy storage solutions saw him awarded the Nobel Prize in chemistry in 2019, making him the world's oldest Nobel Prize winner.

His name might not be well known as some, but the products stemming from his research and taken for granted are all around us. Think of the innumerable numbers of devices that have lithium-ion batteries. Where would we be without them? Mobile phones, laptops, electric vehicles and just about every other high powered mobile device could look entirely different. I don't think a car can reliably run on a thousand AA's.

Tributes poured in from fellow scientists and colleagues at University of Texas (via the BBC) where Goodenough was a professor. “John’s legacy as a brilliant scientist is immeasurable — his discoveries improved the lives of billions of people around the world,” said UT Austin President Jay Hartzell.

We have more to thank Dr Goodenough for. Beginning in 1952, he spent 24 years as a research scientist and team leader at MIT's Lincoln Laboratory. During this time he worked on developing random access memory. That's right, the RAM we have in our PCs has roots that go back to foundational work done by Goodenough and his teams.

You'd expect Goodenough to have made a lot of money as a result of his work on batteries and other technologies, but according to an obituary posted by the New York Times (paywalled) he signed away most of his rights and lived modestly.

He continued to work well into his later years. In February 2017, Goodenough published a paper demonstrating a glass battery, a type of solid state battery that promises to be superior to lithium ion batteries in just about every way.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: June 28, 2023, 12:04:09 AM »
Rabbi Aryeh Spero A"H

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: July 02, 2023, 08:10:40 AM »
Chana Rochel Stern A"H, wife of Rabbi Yekusiel Stern of Miami Beach. Was niftar suddenly on Shabbos. Terrible tragedy, heard they are really special people, bunch of unmarried kids.

Doesn't seem like any news sites posted anything yet, besides this:
https://thechesedfund.com/sternfamilymiamibeachfl/urgentcampaign

Offline Yosel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: July 02, 2023, 02:08:49 PM »
Reb Chaim Linder A"H a super special guy ,at the age of 43, worked at the butcher dept. at KRM in Boro Park, a well know tzadik..... He would always give very special attention to families and persons in the NEED......

Bunch of unmarried kids.  Tragedy

If you ever shopped in Kolel Store, u knew him  Chaim Yosef Ben Moshe Elya

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 02, 2023, 02:32:53 PM »
Reb Chaim Linder A"H a super special guy ,at the age of 43, worked at the butcher dept. at KRM in Boro Park, a well know tzadik..... He would always give very special attention to families and persons in the NEED......

Bunch of unmarried kids.  Tragedy

If you ever shopped in Kolel Store, u knew him  Chaim Yosef Ben Moshe Elya
Agreed. knew him. very sad. :'(

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: July 02, 2023, 04:00:15 PM »
Alan arkin

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 10, 2023, 12:29:12 AM »

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: July 21, 2023, 02:01:44 PM »
Tony Bennett

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: August 01, 2023, 12:30:11 PM »
Statement from Governor Murphy on the Passing of Lieutenant Governor Sheila Oliver

“Tammy and I, and our children, are incredibly saddened and distraught to learn of the passing of our dear friend, colleague, and partner in government, Lieutenant Governor Sheila Oliver.

"When I selected her to be my running mate in 2017, Lieutenant Governor Oliver was already a trailblazer in every sense of the word.  She had already made history as the first Black woman to serve as Speaker of the General Assembly, and just the second Black woman in the nation’s history to lead a house of a state legislature.  I knew then that her decades of public service made her the ideal partner for me to lead the State of New Jersey.  It was the best decision I ever made.

"In the five and a half years that we served together in office, in addition to her responsibilities as Lieutenant Governor, Sheila led the Department of Community Affairs, handling some of the most challenging issues facing our State, including the revitalization of our cities, affordable housing obligations, and homelessness prevention.  As someone who was born and raised in Newark, and who has called East Orange home for more than 40 years, Sheila did not view these issues in the abstract because she lived with them every day of her life.  She brought a unique and invaluable perspective to our public policy discourse and served as an inspiration to millions of women and girls everywhere, especially young women of color.

"Beyond all of that, she was an incredibly genuine and kind person whose friendship and partnership will be irreplaceable.  We ask that you all keep the Oliver family and all those who knew and loved her in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.”

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: August 06, 2023, 09:26:42 AM »
https://matzav.com/mrs-mindel-margulies-ah/

Such a tragedy. Her husband was niftar 3 years ago from Covid, and she remarried only a few weeks ago.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1775 on: August 06, 2023, 12:02:30 PM »
https://matzav.com/mrs-mindel-margulies-ah/

Such a tragedy. Her husband was niftar 3 years ago from Covid, and she remarried only a few weeks ago.
His first wife was niftar not that long ago
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #1776 on: August 08, 2023, 08:08:33 PM »
Sinead O'Connor - A great artist that could not fight off the demons.

Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: August 10, 2023, 11:38:55 AM »
Robert Beren z”l

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1778 on: August 15, 2023, 09:40:07 PM »
BDH. Rabbi Yitzchok Goldstein a"h. (Shliach to Madrid).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Pad18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 15, 2023, 11:19:49 PM »
BDH. Rabbi Yitzchok Goldstein a"h. (Shliach to Madrid).

My uncle.. sad BDE