Author Topic: RIP/BDE Master Thread  (Read 408585 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: RIP/BDE Master Thread
« Reply #440 on: June 08, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »
We should stop reporting on them. Glorifying suiciders. He's probably a copycat from the one earlier in the week. He saw all the raving press about her.

Just like we should ignore the attention that mentally ill school shooters seek.
Disagree.

Suicide awareness is very important.

Someone put it well in regards to this story:

"Depression and anxiety is real. It doesn’t matter how much money and fame you have.  If you know of someone who needs help reach out to them

So often we talk about how we are there for others. The greatest lesson we can take away is that compassion should be blind. There should be no self interest in who you reach out to. There are many in our community who need help and this is a good reminder to always reach out and take the extra step. You never know what people are going through."

(As for sharing the name/pic of school shooters, I agree, it should be stopped.)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #441 on: June 08, 2018, 09:40:33 AM »
It definitely is contagious. Same goes for school shootings.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #442 on: June 08, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »
He didn't need the attention or the press.  And while I agree that there is this copycat mentality if he killed himself it's because he was suffering.   

Of course he was suffering, but we should make it a point to not report on them, other than a small box on the 15th page.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 08, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »
Disagree.

"Depression and anxiety is real. It doesn’t matter how much money and fame you have.  If you know of someone who needs help reach out to them

So often we talk about how we are there for others. The greatest lesson we can take away is that compassion should be blind. There should be no self interest in who you reach out to. There are many in our community who need help and this is a good reminder to always reach out and take the extra step. You never know what people are going through."

(As for sharing the name/pic of school shooters, I agree, it should be stopped.)

You can also not report on the identity and make it a point that although everyone knows who it is, they shouldn't be talked about in the articles. The message can come across without all the raving coverage Spade got and Bourdain is getting now.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #444 on: June 08, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
You can also not report on the identity and make it a point that although everyone knows who it is, they shouldn't be talked about in the articles. The message can come across without all the raving coverage Spade got and Bourdain is getting now.
So suicide should also kill a persons legacy as well?

Sounds a bit crazy. It's not like their legacy is that they shot up a school, or even that they killed themselves. When someone dies, however they die, I think they deserve to have their accomplishments celebrated. It'd be pretty low to try and take that away IMO.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 08, 2018, 09:52:55 AM »

Sounds a bit crazy. It's not like their legacy is that they shot up a school, or even that they killed themselves. When someone dies, however they die, I think they deserve to have their accomplishments celebrated. It'd be pretty low to try and take that away IMO.

Yes. The mentally ill that know what's going on will see that their accomplishments are ignored when they commit suicide.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #446 on: June 08, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »
Disagree.

Is this opinion research based or feelings based?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 08, 2018, 10:02:02 AM »
Pardon my thoughts, but I feel like this entire discussion is OT.

I thought that the point of this specific thread was to report a petirah.

Whether the discussion of the life that person led should be included in this thread appears to be a gray area.

However a discussion of the merits of media (or even blog) coverage of suicide/school shootings/mentally ill does not belong in this thread (IMHO)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 08, 2018, 10:02:49 AM »

Whether the discussion of the life that person should be included in this thread appears to be a gray area.

However a discussion of media (or even blog) coverage of suicide/school shootings/mentally ill does not belong in this thread (IMHO)
+1000000
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 08, 2018, 10:03:11 AM »

From what I know of Halacha it seems to be that way.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: June 08, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »

Whether the discussion of the life that person led should be included in this thread appears to be a gray area.

However a discussion of the merits of media (or even blog) coverage of suicide/school shootings/mentally ill does not belong in this thread (IMHO)

Welcome to DDF, where every thread is supposed to go off-topic.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 08, 2018, 10:30:24 AM »
Yes. The mentally ill that know what's going on will see that their accomplishments are ignored when they commit suicide.
You are the one that want their accomplishments ignored. I'm not sure what you are saying here.

Is this opinion research based or feelings based?
That suicide awareness is important? That's based on science.

Well, sorry for having a discussion about preventing death in a thread about people dying. I suppose some people just want the death to continue so they can post here more? (#PCFriday)

From what I know of Halacha it seems to be that way.
Fwiu Halacha doesn't recognize halachic suicide now a days, as they are all doing it due to mental instability. @aygart may know more about that though.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 08, 2018, 10:32:31 AM »

That suicide awareness is important? That's based on science.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/31622/what-can-we-do-stop-suicide-ben-shapiro

twitter.com/BridgetPhetasy/status/1005090040005791744
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:38:25 AM by jj1000 »

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 08, 2018, 10:32:57 AM »
I suppose some people just want the death to continue so they can post here more? (#PCFriday)
Totally uncalled for!!!

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 08, 2018, 10:36:52 AM »

Well, sorry for having a discussion about preventing death in a thread about people dying. I suppose some people just want the death to continue so they can post here more? (#PCFriday)

Or maybe some people post here because they want them to continue? :P
Totally uncalled for!!!

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 08, 2018, 10:37:51 AM »
So sad. I truly enjoyed watching his shows. Even though I can never eat any of his food. No question in my mind this was a copycat.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 08, 2018, 10:40:30 AM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/31622/what-can-we-do-stop-suicide-ben-shapiro

twitter.com/BridgetPhetasy/status/1005090040005791744
If the OP had said we should change the coverage of suicide to help prevent more, by giving people more reason to live, I agree.

But the fact that awareness is important isn't being disputed in that article or that tweet. Just google it and you'll find many articles explaining why it's important.

It seems the person in that tweet didn't commit suicide, maybe hearing about it and dealing with those problems she had for 10 months actually made her stronger and less likely to commit suicide.

Totally uncalled for!!!
I understand there is a time and place for everything, but when it comes to suicide prevention, I think pretty much anywhere anytime is good.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 08, 2018, 10:44:23 AM »
I understand there is a time and place for everything, but when it comes to suicide prevention, I think pretty much anywhere anytime is good.
Then a dedicated thread for it, no?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 08, 2018, 10:45:52 AM »
Then a dedicated thread for it, no?
This one http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=64180.0, but that doesn't mean it can't be here too. More views, more people being aware that there are reasons to live, people that care about them.

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 08, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »

Are you a professional political pundit? I can't think of a reason why trying to set boundaries in a specific discussion group and keeping things on topic means that I (or anyone else) want suicides to continue.

In fact, since you are an admin I will ask you this question -- if I posted in a major price mistake by Delta in which you could get a R/T to LA for 92 cents, but I put it in the Amazon group, would you replicate it in the correct thread and still leave it in the Amazon thread to make sure that everyone saw it?