Author Topic: RIP/BDE Master Thread  (Read 408430 times)

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: RIP/BDE Master Thread
« Reply #761 on: April 29, 2019, 12:13:30 AM »
Do you mind sharing?

There were 6 of us, we learned at the kerestier shtiebel, we we're known as the cheder.

I grew up watching and talking to many of the admorim of the last generation.

I was a chabad kid, I didn't understand who Reb shlomole of bobov was or the beirach Moshe of satmar.

But the survivers burned in me a fire of yiras shamayim, hisbonenus and devaykus!

There was a man we called the kavana man, he would daven untill noon,he'd shukle and shake and throw his hands in the air. His story? He was in the gas Chambers, he davend "God, save me" And at the last minute a German officer came and said he needed 50 workers and this man prayed every day as if it were his last.

I remember lipshitz from Chicago, he survived Treblinka, he told me how one Chanukah in the Warsaw ghetto his brother wanted to go to the mikva. They snuck out and found a lake, they had to break the ice. I don't recall what happened to the brother.

But one yid made the most impact on my life, one day we were playing outside and it was hot. I went in to get a cup of water and then I went into the shul to see what was up.

There was a bentch by the mizrach wall, it was in between the shtenders of the rebbe Reb shlomole of bobov and one by the wall to the left that Reb shamshon and other characters used.

And that day, seated on this bentch was a man in chasidishe rebbishe malbush. His face was red, in a stare of incredible devaykus, kipnei malach hashem.

His payos long and wet, seemingly from having just gone to the mikva.

Yet here was a man who was clean shaven. I said to rabbi grosz, how can there be a rebbe who is shaved. He told me this is the holy kaliver and told me his story.

If I'm yarei shamayim today, even the slightest. It's because I looked at the holy kaliver and saw what mangle yimach shemo did to him.. and saw his yiras hashem and truly Reb yollish was right...

Over the years I wanted to visit the kaliver and tell him the impact he had on me.. but I was scared..

Zichrono tzadik livracha!

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 29, 2019, 12:23:50 AM »
I remember reb shlomole like it was yesterday. He farhered me on pesachim and he he gave me such gevaldige brachos.

But seeing the kaliver rebbe ztl.. no words.  This was sometime between 1995?-1998?

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #763 on: April 29, 2019, 12:27:24 AM »

Beautiful!

Years ago I used to go to Israel for yom Kippur and sukkos and we davened in his shul. He would daven for the Amud every tefillah on yom Kippur, from mincha erev,  until mariv after.  He was a weak person but davened almost everything standing and the  the last tefillah with the same strength as the first. And his emphasis in the Shma after he went through what he did was also amazing.  Sad to see all these older generation holocaust survivors go...
#TYH

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 29, 2019, 12:42:29 AM »
Yup, it's really sad to see them die out. I chrish the memory of shaleshudos tishim with rabb grosz and Reb shlomole and the beirach Moshe and when the survivers sang "gam ki eiliach b"gai tzalmuves" you could really feel their fearless walking in hell.

I've had 29 surgeries, but in my head I hear them sing "ki ata hashem imudi"

How they retained their faith after everything?!? How they rebuilt their lives with emuna and simcha?!?

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 29, 2019, 12:54:14 AM »
Thank you for sharing. Chaval Al davdin vloh mishtakchin. I also grew up in the presence of Holocaust survivors, and their simple emunah and exemplary midos is something that stays with me until today.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #766 on: April 29, 2019, 01:39:37 AM »
I remember reb shlomole like it was yesterday. He farhered me on pesachim and he he gave me such gevaldige brachos.

But seeing the kaliver rebbe ztl.. no words.  This was sometime between 1995?-1998?

Which Kerestirer shtieble are you talking about?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 29, 2019, 01:54:10 AM »
Which Kerestirer shtieble are you talking about?

Miami Beach prairie Ave.

Oy let's not talk about 711 eastern parkway, Rabbi grosz was upset about that. Actually he was also upset that they destroyed the mikvah which is where they did the rayatz tahara.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 29, 2019, 01:56:40 AM »
He was present at the rebbe rayatz tahara. But he told me that the building was stolen from them.

But that's not why they stopped printing likkutei sichos, that had to do with them printing satmar stuff.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 29, 2019, 05:43:17 AM »
There were 6 of us, we learned at the kerestier shtiebel, we we're known as the cheder.

I grew up watching and talking to many of the admorim of the last generation.

I was a chabad kid, I didn't understand who Reb shlomole of bobov was or the beirach Moshe of satmar.

But the survivers burned in me a fire of yiras shamayim, hisbonenus and devaykus!

There was a man we called the kavana man, he would daven untill noon,he'd shukle and shake and throw his hands in the air. His story? He was in the gas Chambers, he davend "God, save me" And at the last minute a German officer came and said he needed 50 workers and this man prayed every day as if it were his last.

I remember lipshitz from Chicago, he survived Treblinka, he told me how one Chanukah in the Warsaw ghetto his brother wanted to go to the mikva. They snuck out and found a lake, they had to break the ice. I don't recall what happened to the brother.

But one yid made the most impact on my life, one day we were playing outside and it was hot. I went in to get a cup of water and then I went into the shul to see what was up.

There was a bentch by the mizrach wall, it was in between the shtenders of the rebbe Reb shlomole of bobov and one by the wall to the left that Reb shamshon and other characters used.

And that day, seated on this bentch was a man in chasidishe rebbishe malbush. His face was red, in a stare of incredible devaykus, kipnei malach hashem.

His payos long and wet, seemingly from having just gone to the mikva.

Yet here was a man who was clean shaven. I said to rabbi grosz, how can there be a rebbe who is shaved. He told me this is the holy kaliver and told me his story.

If I'm yarei shamayim today, even the slightest. It's because I looked at the holy kaliver and saw what mangle yimach shemo did to him.. and saw his yiras hashem and truly Reb yollish was right...

Over the years I wanted to visit the kaliver and tell him the impact he had on me.. but I was scared..

Zichrono tzadik livracha!
Thank you for sharing.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 29, 2019, 10:35:18 AM »
Beautiful!

Years ago I used to go to Israel for yom Kippur and sukkos and we davened in his shul. He would daven for the Amud every tefillah on yom Kippur, from mincha erev,  until mariv after.  He was a weak person but davened almost everything standing and the  the last tefillah with the same strength as the first. And his emphasis in the Shma after he went through what he did was also amazing.  Sad to see all these older generation holocaust survivors go...
I davened there Rosh Hashanah about 11 or 12 years ago. He no longer had the strength to stand but still davened the tfillos sitting at his shtender. What a sweet and holy voice he had.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 29, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
Sad to see all these older generation holocaust survivors go...
This. When I was little we used to go to my grandparents for shabbos and davened in Laundau's, as I got older and went less often I would notice that every time I went a few more of my grandfathers friend's were no longer there. At this point IDK if there are any left :'(
I don't remember the old Rabbi Landau, but I remember that the Ruv's seat was empty for a bunch of years when he wasn't well (the son of the original Ruv) until he passed away and his son (the grandson of the original Ruv) took over, it was weird to me to see someone sitting in the Ruv's seat that was empty for as long as I was able to remember.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 29, 2019, 11:09:10 AM »
I had the zchus of meeting the Kaliver Rov, Z"L in his shul in Bnei' Brak about 25+ years ago. An amazing man with a remarkable story. He was not only a living testimony to some of the cruel things that the Nazis did, but a living testimony to the Jewish Resolve and renaissance of yiddishkeit post war.

Offline Yonah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 29, 2019, 11:12:46 AM »
Reb Binyomin Katz - Z"L - passed away over Yom Tov.

As a Bochur he was sent on a shlichus mission of sorts behind the Iron curtain. He was a brilliant man with a photographic memory. I was a student of his in High School, and had the opportunities to hear some stories of his exploits in Russia first hand. Here is a link to a recent interview with him about it: http://crownheights.info/chabad-news/639232/from-the-derher-archive-a-crack-in-the-iron-curtain-rabbi-binyomin-katzs-story/

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 06, 2019, 08:46:12 PM »
https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/general/1723658/tragedy-in-lakewood-toddler-niftar-after-being-left-in-vehicle.html

this is just so terrible. its one of those things where hatzolah and everyone else warned over and over again to what is , at least to me, a clear and obvious danger for a child not to be left in the car.

whoever left the child im positive loves the child and obviously didnt mean any harm chas vshalom and Im not implying that. just as a random reader of this news it seems so ironic that such a mistake can happen after all the warning..
Baruch Dayan Emes
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 06, 2019, 09:18:59 PM »
https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/general/1723658/tragedy-in-lakewood-toddler-niftar-after-being-left-in-vehicle.html

this is just so terrible. its one of those things where hatzolah and everyone else warned over and over again to what is , at least to me, a clear and obvious danger for a child not to be left in the car.

whoever left the child im positive loves the child and obviously didnt mean any harm chas vshalom and Im not implying that. just as a random reader of this news it seems so ironic that such a mistake can happen after all the warning..
Baruch Dayan Emes

There was a misunderstanding . Was not intentional . There is no irony here . Just pure sadness on so many levels.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Toddler-Dies-After-Being-Left-in-Car-in-New-Jersey-Sources-509548811.html

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 06, 2019, 09:19:28 PM »

Baruch Dayan Emes

It’s so sad.

I have seen recommendations to leave something on the baby that you wouldn’t leave the car without, for instance a shoe/phone/purse etc.

Offline ~King Lake~

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 06, 2019, 09:27:23 PM »
It’s so sad.

I have seen recommendations to leave something on the baby that you wouldn’t leave the car without, for instance a shoe/phone/purse etc.
This is ironic that your phone you won't forget but your little one you could forget!!

Other idea I heard of to put a pacifier on your keychain (won't work for Dan) so when you turn off you car you'll remind yourself of your tzadikel/tz'deikisel
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 09:30:37 PM by ~King Lake~ »
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 06, 2019, 09:39:15 PM »
It’s so sad.

That is so offensive I cant even begin.

Who is so lost in their own world that they forget a kid in the car? Mind boggling. My wife and I have raised 4 kids to adulthood. Never, once, did either of us leave a kid in the car for a second by mistake. Yet every year we have one of these in our community. Just cant understand it.

And to say THIS?!?!?!? A phone? A shoe? A purse? That before your child.  Im sorry..
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 06, 2019, 10:14:58 PM »
This is ironic that your phone you won't forget but your little one you could forget!!

Other idea I heard of to put a pacifier on your keychain (won't work for Dan) so when you turn off you car you'll remind yourself of your tzadikel/tz'deikisel
It’s so sad.

That is so offensive I cant even begin.

Who is so lost in their own world that they forget a kid in the car? Mind boggling. My wife and I have raised 4 kids to adulthood. Never, once, did either of us leave a kid in the car for a second by mistake. Yet every year we have one of these in our community. Just cant understand it.

And to say THIS?!?!?!? A phone? A shoe? A purse? That before your child.  Im sorry..

Read the story . Thats not what happened .