Author Topic: DDF DO: NYC Edition?  (Read 1204532 times)

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
Re: DDF DO: NYC Edition?
« Reply #440 on: February 07, 2011, 09:25:41 PM »
LA is very strict as well.  Maybe not as bad as NYC, but it's pretty bad.

The reason NY is so bad in giving tickets to the extent that it's just plain evil is (mostly at least ) because they are strapped for cash. I think CA is even worse off then NYS which made me think they'd do the same thing.

Before I bought a car here in Brooklyn, I was told by friends that I can expect  to pay about $600 a year in tickets on average. It's just something you have to factor in when you calculate if you can afford the other car expenses like gas and insurance (Brooklyn insurance..).

Lately they've gotten even worse with tickets. Today you can get towed for parking too close to a pump, and that means shelling out $200-300++ for the tow fee and fine, and spending a half a day waiting at the tow pound until those evil city employees move you through the process (they try going as slow as possible, it's better for their job security). And don't try to mint the fine, there is a big sign NO COINS. When I was there a half a year ago or so, the people behind me had their car towed because they parked too close to a pump and they were trying to figure out if they'll make it to the airport to get back home in time. I doubt they ever made their flight.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:30:17 PM by Avid Reader »

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #441 on: February 07, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »
I feel that the prices in the NY area are more about demand than about supply anyway. Manhattan is overinflated because of the lack of supply, but otherwise, being close to NYC is a big selling point for many people (for frum Jews especially).
They say everyone want's a piece of the Big Apple.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 07, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »
I feel that the prices in the NY area are more about demand than about supply anyway.

Supply and demand are two sides of the same coin, relative to each-other.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline misterstuf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum, BA Bronze, Aegean Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, DDF not -so-n00b (anymore)
« Reply #443 on: February 08, 2011, 12:00:47 AM »
I agree, but that ignores other factors.When there is equal supply of real estate available and differing demand, the price of the place in more demand will always be higher. The question becomes what OTHER factors drive the price up in the New York area over, say, Cleveland?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #444 on: February 08, 2011, 12:05:16 AM »
Back on-topic...recapping the current attendees list.  Reserve now if you want to be there.

Tentative date: 04/03
Pre-dinner drinks, 3:30-4:30pm at Clubhouse Cafe.
Dinner: 4:30-7pm at Le Marais (Upstairs lounge?)
$25 per person fee.

Tentatively confirmed members:
1. Dan
2. AsherO
3. Chaikel
4. Mikeoracle
5. Smirk
6. MOSES
7. whYME
8. yare
9. Avid Reader
10. Chachem Balaileh
11. E
12. ceejay
13. mancunian

Possibly attending members:
1. SuperFlyer
2. regalhome

Members that expressed interest but have yet to confirm based on the new tentative date and location:
1. ?
2. MarkS

Waitlisted n00b members:
1. misterstuf

3 confirmed spots left...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 08, 2011, 12:09:25 AM »
Back off topic:

I agree, but that ignores other factors.When there is equal supply of real estate available and differing demand, the price of the place in more demand will always be higher. The question becomes what OTHER factors drive the price up in the New York area over, say, Cleveland?

There isn't equal supply in CLE compared to NYC. NYC has the capacity to house millions (over ten million if you count the 'burbs), Cleaveland doesn't.

You want to know what's available in NYC compared to CLE? Here are a few:

• Culturally-oriented neighborhoods for people of different races/nationality.
  • Opportunities (or the perception thereof).
  • Art and entertainment venues.
  • Shopping outlets (especially for high-end consumers).

I think (most of) these apply to other major cities in the USA.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #446 on: February 08, 2011, 12:22:07 AM »
Back off topic:

There isn't equal supply in CLE compared to NYC. NYC has the capacity to house millions (over ten million if you count the 'burbs), Cleaveland doesn't.

You want to know what's available in NYC compared to CLE? Here are a few:

• Culturally-oriented neighborhoods for people of different races/nationality.
  • Opportunities (or the perception thereof).
  • Art and entertainment venues.
  • Shopping outlets (especially for high-end consumers).

I think (most of) these apply to other major cities in the USA.
Meh.  Spoken like a true NY'er.

See here: http://www.clevelandplus.com
Greater CLE does house millions (4.1 million in fact)
Plenty of "Culturally-oriented neighborhoods for people of different races/nationality" 
Little Italy, Slavic Village, Russian enclaves, Cities that are 90% jewish, etc.
Arts and entertainment are plentiful: http://www.clevelandplus.com/artsculture.asp
And there's no lack of shopping options, including high-end, with plenty of parking to boot...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 08, 2011, 01:08:06 AM »
See here: http://www.clevelandplus.com
Greater CLE does house millions (4.1 million in fact)
Plenty of "Culturally-oriented neighborhoods for people of different races/nationality" 
Little Italy, Slavic Village, Russian enclaves, Cities that are 90% jewish, etc.
Arts and entertainment are plentiful: http://www.clevelandplus.com/artsculture.asp
And there's no lack of shopping options, including high-end, with plenty of parking to boot...

Meh. Spoken like a true Ctown'er.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 08, 2011, 01:10:49 AM »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 08, 2011, 01:13:44 AM »
:D

Oh, and for the record, CLE doesn't have the perception of opportunity that NYC/LA do (your response completely ignored that bullet point), but that's just a demand factor, not a plus for actual residents.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: February 08, 2011, 01:22:01 AM »
Oh, and for the record, CLE doesn't have the perception of opportunity that NYC/LA do (your response completely ignored that bullet point), but that's just a demand factor, not a plus for actual residents.
It all depends for what.
When my wife and I got married and moved here there was just 1 other young chabad couple and they moved to Chicago shortly thereafter.

Now there are k"ah at least 15 young chabad couples and growing!  There are couples moving here with no roots here at all!

They've come for their own opportunities...affordable housing, an affordable and highly ranked school (Case Western Reserve), and a very good quality of living at a small fraction of the cost of NY or LA without the crime and smog.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 08, 2011, 01:22:06 AM »
LA has the weather that NY & CLE both do not have.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 08, 2011, 01:24:57 AM »
Without a doubt, that's a huge draw.

If not for the obscene home prices and the terrible environment LA is to raise frum kids I'd be living there already.

For now LA will just have to be a place to vacation for me though.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 08, 2011, 01:25:00 AM »
Bottom line NY has a much greater demand relative to the supply, that's why it's so expensive.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 08, 2011, 01:26:21 AM »
Bottom line NY has a much greater demand relative to the supply, that's why it's so expensive.
Of course, nobody can argue against that.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 08, 2011, 01:27:50 AM »
Now there are k"ah at least 15 young chabad couples and growing!  There are couples moving here with no roots here at all!

They've come for their own opportunities...affordable housing, an affordable and highly ranked school (Case Western Reserve), and a very good quality of living at a small fraction of the cost of NY or LA without the crime and smog.

You have me tempted.

As a native NY'er, I really prefer the cold. Besides, LA is overrated.

P.s. Dan, I've noticed you edited your last post immediately after posting it, do you do that often (I know I do)?

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 08, 2011, 01:31:57 AM »
Of course, nobody can argue against that.
There's (AsherO: there are?) one or two posts earlier that seem to imply that it's not that simple. I get that the discussion now is why the demand is so great in NY.

Offline misterstuf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum, BA Bronze, Aegean Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, DDF not -so-n00b (anymore)
« Reply #457 on: February 08, 2011, 01:34:06 AM »
Without a doubt, that's a huge draw.

If not for the obscene home prices and the terrible environment LA is to raise frum kids I'd be living there already.

Not that I'm jumping on the bandwagon for LA, but I know plenty of Frum people who came out of LA and some who even returned there later in life (after college, or living in New York for a few years). A terrible environment in which to raise frum kids is an environment without strong family values (and by that I mean WITHIN the family). You could live in New Square or Boro Park, Cleveland or Dallas, LA or Kansas, but without the proper environment at home, a kid can go off the derech anywhere.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 08, 2011, 01:35:35 AM »
Not that I'm jumping on the bandwagon for LA, but I know plenty of Frum people who came out of LA and some who even returned there later in life (after college, or living in New York for a few years). A terrible environment in which to raise frum kids is an environment without strong family values (and by that I mean WITHIN the family). You could live in New Square or Boro Park, Cleveland or Dallas, LA or Kansas, but without the proper environment at home, a kid can go off the derech anywhere.
100% but it certainly helps to have a proper environment outside the home as well.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 08, 2011, 01:36:26 AM »
There's (AsherO: there are?) one or two posts earlier that seem to imply that it's not that simple. I get that the discussion now is why the demand is so great in NY.

I'm way more aligned with Dan and you on this one, than MisterStuf, though he's entitled to his opinion. I did make an effort to understand how he sees things.

P.s. Dan, does this OT discussion deserve a fork yet?