Author Topic: DDF DO: NYC Edition?  (Read 1218880 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: DDF DO: NYC Edition?
« Reply #460 on: February 08, 2011, 01:38:10 AM »
You have me tempted.

As a native NY'er, I really prefer the cold. Besides, LA is overrated.

P.s. Dan, I've noticed you edited your last post immediately after posting it, do you do that often (I know I do)?

I really gotta' stop posting that!

It's actually been very cool to see lubab couples come here.  Non-lubabs have been coming for the high-paying kollel, but lubabs coming to town is a new development.  But come they have, there are 2 guys in Case Dental, 2 guys in Case Law, another in Case undergrad.  1 managing nursing homes. another managing buildings downtown, 1 is the primary mashgiach for that cheap Natural and Kosher cheese you enjoy, an insurance agent, 3 new young shluchim couples, 1 guy who sits on his computer all day, and some that I don't know what they do, but it's not hard to survive when rent is only $600/month...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 08, 2011, 01:40:17 AM »

It's actually been very cool to see lubab couples come here.  Non-lubabs have been coming for the high-paying kollel, but lubabs coming to town is a new development.  But come they have, there are 2 guys in Case Dental, 2 guys in Case Law, another in Case undergrad.  1 managing nursing homes. another managing buildings downtown, 1 is the primary mashgiach for that cheap Natural and Kosher cheese you enjoy, an insurance agent, 3 new young shluchim couples, 1 guy who sits on his computer all day, and some that I don't know what they do, but it's not hard to survive when rent is only $600/month...
The 1 guy on the computer, is that besides for you?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 08, 2011, 01:41:52 AM »

You keep posting it in a different context. Note, it doesn't always load.

You're referring to yourself?

AussieBochur beat me to it :D
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #463 on: February 08, 2011, 01:43:21 AM »
Not that I'm jumping on the bandwagon for LA, but I know plenty of Frum people who came out of LA and some who even returned there later in life (after college, or living in New York for a few years). A terrible environment in which to raise frum kids is an environment without strong family values (and by that I mean WITHIN the family). You could live in New Square or Boro Park, Cleveland or Dallas, LA or Kansas, but without the proper environment at home, a kid can go off the derech anywhere.
There are always exceptions, but a child is a product of his environment.  I was in LA in yeshiva for many years and the local boys were always the biggest problems.  Over 95% of students getting into big trouble or getting thrown out were LA locals.  And I saw the kids coming out of LA days schools by hanging around LA families...their lack of innocence compared to the CLE kids shocked me.

I do love LA, but I can't bring myself to live there for my own selfish reasons (the weather, the resaurants, etc.) at the expense of my future children...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline misterstuf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum, BA Bronze, Aegean Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, DDF not -so-n00b (anymore)
« Reply #464 on: February 08, 2011, 01:43:30 AM »
I'm way more aligned with Dan and you on this one, than MisterStuf, though he's entitled to his opinion. I did make an effort to understand how he sees things.

I see where you're coming from. This world is a scary place to try to remain frum.
But I know that I was raised by great parents in a loving and nurturing home, and if it weren't for that, I know that I wouldn't be the man I am today.

1 guy who sits on his computer all day

That wouldn't describe anyone on here, would it?
 ;)

Wow. I got beaten to that too.

Offline misterstuf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum, BA Bronze, Aegean Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, DDF not -so-n00b (anymore)
« Reply #465 on: February 08, 2011, 01:46:06 AM »

I do love LA, but I can't bring myself to live there for my own selfish reasons (the weather, the resaurants, etc.) at the expense of my future children...

And that is a perfectly reasonable thing for you to do. But I feel that if you were to ever move there and raise your children the right way, then three might be more GOOD LA kids. Just a thought.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 08, 2011, 01:46:42 AM »
I see where you're coming from. This world is a scary place to try to remain frum.
But I know that I was raised by great parents in a loving and nurturing home, and if it weren't for that, I know that I wouldn't be the man I am today.

I was referring to your position regarding NYC supply/demand.

I think (thus far) we unanimously agree that LA isn't the place to raise a family (though you stipulate that there's more to chinuch than the city one is raised in, and I agree with that too).

Well, it seems from your last post that you don't quite agree after all...

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 08, 2011, 01:47:03 AM »

Stock up on the diapers now ;D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 08, 2011, 01:48:14 AM »
The home is only 1 factor.  You can be brought up in the best home, but without a positive environment you leave an awful lot to chance.

Besides your real formative years are decided as much by your friends in school as they are in your own home.  Even if you try hard with your own kid in LA who's to say what influence their classmates will have on them?

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 08, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »

You're making it sound very enticing, you keep this up and I might actually consider moving there one day...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 08, 2011, 01:49:29 AM »

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 08, 2011, 01:51:52 AM »
Besides your real formative years are decided as much by your friends in school as they are in your own home.  Even if you try hard with your own kid in LA who's to say what influence their classmates will have on them?
Are the kids in LA nowadays the same as they were say, 10 years ago? I imagine the situation there is (at least somewhat) better now...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 08, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »
Are the kids in LA nowadays the same as they were say, 10 years ago? I imagine the situation there is (at least somewhat) better now...

Why would you imagine that?

Offline misterstuf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 08, 2011, 01:58:35 AM »
I was referring to your position regarding NYC supply/demand.

I see. I kinda lost that track. Sorry. 

Well, it seems from your last post that you don't quite agree after all...

No, I DO agree. All I was saying is that there is the possibility that many other people felt the same way about LA as Dan, and therefore are avoiding it. If those people, who undoubtedly are good caring people (I say that because they are turned off by the negative behavior they've seen in LA), would raise their children in LA, don't you think that they could make it a better place?

Offline misterstuf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 08, 2011, 01:59:39 AM »

I don't know...
Dan lekaf zechut

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 08, 2011, 02:00:20 AM »
Perception.
My grade from LA there were like 2 guys still frum by the time we finished zal.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 08, 2011, 02:02:52 AM »

Scary.

Where's CholentFresser tonight?...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 08, 2011, 02:03:03 AM »
Perception.
And if now there are 3 frum guys?  I admit I haven't learned in LA in some 4.5 years, but the stats there are still disastrous I'm sure.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 08, 2011, 02:05:17 AM »
As a side note, I dated my share of girls back in the day.  Girls from outside the NYC/LA area had a certain combination of innocence, toughness, and flexibility that girls in places like NYC/LA didn't have.  I'm generalizing, I know, but after dating a few girls from NYC/LA I decided to stop cold turkey and focus on girls from the rest of the continent...

Just try asking a girl from LA about leaving (the warmth and superficiality of) LA or from NYC about leaving the conveniences of big city living.  I was shocked by just how incredibly inflexible they were...

Funny thing is a shadchan from NYC told my mother that you can't ask a girl beforehand if she would be willing to leave her hometown.  After all she claimed, if the girl falls in love she'll follow the guy anywhere.  She had to bite my tongue to not ask why she still lived in brooklyn while her husband who lost his NYC job and moved to CLE only got to see her on yomim tovim because CLE was too small town for her to handle...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 08, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »
I don't know...
Dan lekaf zechut
Huh?  How does that apply here?