Author Topic: Watching a live broadcast from Israel and Shabbos  (Read 611 times)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Watching a live broadcast from Israel and Shabbos
« on: January 28, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »
Came up in conversation recently, and I am curious to some insight from those more knowledgeable.

Is there an issue with watching a live broadcast of an event happening on Shabbos in Israel where it is not shabbos for you. I.e. I'm watching a sporting event taking place in Israel on Friday night after dark, but it's Friday Afternoon in the USA - or Shabbos Afternoon in Israel, but Motzei shabbos in Australia?

I imagine that if someone was live streaming specifically for me, it would be a problem, but if they're broadcasting it, they're already being mechallel shabbos, and I am not causing it.

Would it make a difference if it were the news in a time when there was a sakana in Israel? (i.e. people were given a heter to keep the TV on over shabbos to find out about missle attacks, etc?).

Not asking for practical halachic purposes but just trying to understand what aveirot might be involved on the part of the Person Watching?

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Watching a live broadcast from Israel and Shabbos
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 01:06:54 PM »
I'm in no way going to try to tackle this, because it's beyond my knowledge, but there is a possible issue of getting hanaah from a jew being mechalel shabbos, even if it's not specifically for you. Just throwing that into the equation.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.