Author Topic: Air Marshals on flights  (Read 16435 times)

Offline ShlockDoc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Air Marshals on flights
« on: June 05, 2015, 04:22:19 PM »
Do you still see them as much as you used to? Can you easily spot them? Ever chat with one? Ever see one need to take action? Share your Air Marshal story.

I was flying with my 5 year old twins some years back and right before landing one of them asked the flight attendant for wings. She said that they don't make pin on wings anymore because of security concerns.  My kid was upset, he was really looking forward to getting wings.  Suddenly I feel a tap on my shoulder and the guy behind me says, "here, give this to your son, it's better than wings, but don't tell anyone I did this". He handed me a heavy metal pin of an Air Marshal badge.  I thanked him profusely, it was very cool of him to do.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Air Marshals on flights
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 04:36:50 PM »
... He handed me a heavy metal pin of an Air Marshal badge.  I thanked him profusely, it was very cool of him to do.
Like if you/your kid gets pulled over by a cop, would it do any good...?

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 04:40:15 PM »
Not air marshes, but outside the terminal in TLV airport you can spot these hidden agents walking around with backpacks like tourists.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline DMYD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 04:47:48 PM »
One flight can't recall which I decided to figure out who are the Air Marshalls, and it wasn't that hard was flying solo, got up the second the seat belt sign got turned off to walk around, and saw how he was just looking around, maybe I was wrong but it definitely looked like one.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 04:53:47 PM »
Can be easily id'd. Clean shaven head, isle seats, and at times you can even realize them getting better service from crew members. (usually in a rather subtle, covert way, though).

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 05:06:54 PM »
One flight can't recall which I decided to figure out who are the Air Marshalls, and it wasn't that hard was flying solo, got up the second the seat belt sign got turned off to walk around, and saw how he was just looking around, maybe I was wrong but it definitely looked like one.
Sounds like the chasidish guy across the isle from me on the elal flight I took in January

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 05:10:51 PM »
Sounds like the chasidish guy across the isle from me on the elal flight I took in January

Only chasidim get up when the seatbelt sign is off?  :o :o

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »
Only chasidim get up when the seatbelt sign is off?  :o :o
and look at every each and every flyer like he's a Marshall? No

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »
So here's my air marshal story: I was on an express flight sitting next to this southern dude who kept eyeing me suspiciously ( I have a beard and kinda have dark skin.) I happened to be watching a video of the Rebbe on an ipod classic (it was 5 years ago, don't judge me) plus I had a leather bound chitas with a silver crown on it which can be easily mistaken for a Koran. The flight was uneventful. A few days later I get a call on my home phone from the FBI. The agent tells me: we know this is probaly nothing, but we have to follow up with every lead.

"Were you on flight #### from IAD - ***" I answered "Yes" he said "well, there was a gentleman sitting next to you that was quite concerned you were communicating with jihadists on your ipod and kept your koran in your hand as if you were about to do something bad. Once again we know this is probably nothing, but we would like to meet you just to cross it off our list."

We scheduled a meeting at the Chabad center where I live, and an FBI agent with an Air Marshal showed up took a look at my ipod and chitas, cracked a few jokes and we gave them a tour of the Chabad center and got some great security tips. The air marshal then asked if I can come to one of their main training centers which happens to be in the city to demonstrate the Jewish customs and rituals (tallis tefillin, minyan etc.) So over a three week period, I gave about 15 lectures to groups of air marshals.

I also heard some embarrassing horror stories unfortunately about our own kind like the guy who was on a 45 min flight and was davening shmoneh esreh for 40 min and ignored the flight attendant who asked him to be seated for landing. The plane couldn't land and was delayed an extra 20 min. The air marshal said he couldn't intervene as it wasn't considered a threat....

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »
Wow!! Just curious, if he was worried you were communicating with jihadists, why didn't he just confiscate it right away ?

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 05:43:22 PM »
Wow!! Just curious, if he was worried you were communicating with jihadists, why didn't he just confiscate it right away ?

The guy next to me wasn't an air marshal. He was trying to alert the flight attendant (I had no idea at the time) but she ignored. Once we landed he must of called the FBI.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:55:16 PM by Hudi »

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 05:59:48 PM »
So here's my air marshal story: I was on an express flight sitting next to this southern dude who kept eyeing me suspiciously ( I have a beard and kinda have dark skin.) I happened to be watching a video of the Rebbe on an ipod classic (it was 5 years ago, don't judge me) plus I had a leather bound chitas with a silver crown on it which can be easily mistaken for a Koran. The flight was uneventful. A few days later I get a call on my home phone from the FBI. The agent tells me: we know this is probaly nothing, but we have to follow up with every lead.

"Were you on flight #### from IAD - ***" I answered "Yes" he said "well, there was a gentleman sitting next to you that was quite concerned you were communicating with jihadists on your ipod and kept your koran in your hand as if you were about to do something bad. Once again we know this is probably nothing, but we would like to meet you just to cross it off our list."

We scheduled a meeting at the Chabad center where I live, and an FBI agent with an Air Marshal showed up took a look at my ipod and chitas, cracked a few jokes and we gave them a tour of the Chabad center and got some great security tips. The air marshal then asked if I can come to one of their main training centers which happens to be in the city to demonstrate the Jewish customs and rituals (tallis tefillin, minyan etc.) So over a three week period, I gave about 15 lectures to groups of air marshals.

I also heard some embarrassing horror stories unfortunately about our own kind like the guy who was on a 45 min flight and was davening shmoneh esreh for 40 min and ignored the flight attendant who asked him to be seated for landing. The plane couldn't land and was delayed an extra 20 min. The air marshal said he couldn't intervene as it wasn't considered a threat....
Lol. Awesome.
I'm not who you think I am.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 06:00:50 PM »
A jerk in First wouldn't switch seats with my wife, even though she offered a better seat. The flight attendant came running up explaining how he made his reservation first so he gets first right to his seat.

Obviously he was an air marshal and couldn't switch from his assigned seat, but it was super obvious and they are not James Bond I can assure you. You'd think they'd be trained with an excuse as to why they need their seat, him and the flight attendant sounded like babbling idiots.

Also a big African American bald guy flying alone right after Pesach From TLV could of given it away...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »
A jerk in First wouldn't switch seats with my wife, even though she offered a better seat.
Someone is a jerk for not switching seats?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 06:14:35 PM »
Someone is a jerk for not switching seats?
Yes. If 1. traveling alone, 2. offered a better seat and 3. gives no reason not to other than he made his reservation before us.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Aj3042

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 06:21:08 PM »

Hilarious great story.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 06:21:57 PM »
Yes.
Would have never thought that of you.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 06:40:55 PM »
Would have never thought that of you.
You're missing the points. He didn't say that he did something WRONG etc, he said he is a jerk.

You're probably missing the exactly definition of jerk, maybe post un your help me thread ;)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 06:46:09 PM »
You're probably missing the exactly definition of jerk, maybe post un your help me thread ;)
I know the definition of jerk. Do you know the definition of "entitlement."

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 06:51:22 PM »
I know the definition of jerk. Do you know the definition of "entitlement."
The fact of having a right to something.

Hence
He didn't say that he did something WRONG etc, he said he is a jerk.