Author Topic: Best Online Backup  (Read 46551 times)

Offline DH Data Recovery

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
Re: Best Online Backup
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »
backblaze is nice nice once you finish backing up - however I had a few clients use them, takes weeks to do the initial backup if they have lots of data!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »
oh great deals on that lately, has it been giving you any issues? I heard some negative reviews on that do you find it to be accurate?

Been great for me in terms of backing up. Haven't needed to recover anything though as its my backup to my backup :)

backblaze is nice nice once you finish backing up - however I had a few clients use them, takes weeks to do the initial backup if they have lots of data!

That's simply a function of their upload bandwidth...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »
@ajk well hopefully recovery shouldn't be an issue - its raid 1

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2012, 01:04:41 AM »
What company nas do you use? BTW Raid 1 is a better decision on a nas than Raid 5 - even though raid 5 sounds better
Synology DS212J

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2012, 01:32:21 AM »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline elizmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2012, 02:35:58 AM »
What company nas do you use? BTW Raid 1 is a better decision on a nas than Raid 5 - even though raid 5 sounds better

For a 2 drive sys raid1 may be best but anything over that I say raid5 is the way to go. Raid1 actually puts stress on both both drives vs raid5 which splits it over a few drives...

It is all from Hashem and he will continue to give!

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2012, 09:14:34 AM »
Raid 5 especially on these devices can sometimes go haywire and lose the configuration. Raid 5 is beautiful when it works however, when it stops working properly its way more complicated to recover. I've worked and hundreds of raid 5 systems and seen some weird stuff happen when they fail. If you are running raid5 be ontop of the system, and make sure its hardware raid not software raid! Software raid is awful

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »
btw I don't believe raid 1 stresses the drive more than anything else as long as you have a hardware based raid, basically each drive has equal usage I don't see why the drive should be more stressed than any other drive

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »
Raid 5 especially on these devices can sometimes go haywire and lose the configuration. Raid 5 is beautiful when it works however, when it stops working properly its way more complicated to recover. I've worked and hundreds of raid 5 systems and seen some weird stuff happen when they fail. If you are running raid5 be ontop of the system, and make sure its hardware raid not software raid! Software raid is awful
Would you say its awful in a Raid 1 config?

Also what software do you use to read the drives, (without using the controller) as I think they are formatted in UFS, and windows wont read them.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2012, 09:44:52 AM »
1 - software raid is always crappy. 2 there are many dif programs to read raid, the main thing you need is you have to understand raid properly and then you can figure out how to rebuild it with almost any software. There are some tricks you can use  to help you figure out stripe sizes, parity, drive order (I don't always have the luxury of working with marked drives or even knowing the configuration or what server the raid came from)

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2012, 09:48:10 AM »
1 - software raid is always crappy. 2 there are many dif programs to read raid, the main thing you need is you have to understand raid properly and then you can figure out how to rebuild it with almost any software. There are some tricks you can use  to help you figure out stripe sizes, parity, drive order (I don't always have the luxury of working with marked drives or even knowing the configuration or what server the raid came from)
I am basically asking for the purpose - not of recovering a drive that failed, as I am not worried about that, since I have a Raid 1 config, if one drive fails than I just pop in a new one. (I have seen where the drive got corrupt that the files on both drives got erased...)

My Q' is if my Controller fails. I need to get my data off the drives, and this case is where there is not damage to the drives, just an issue how to read them

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2012, 10:04:08 AM »
I have a linux machine that I use for these recoveries. Linux has a specific issue when it comes to data recovery they have a block alignment issue that makes calculating a proper recovery more difficult when you deal with a corrupt filesystem. You know how when you get a deleted filesystem or corrupt system and you use a utility like runtime software etc (I'm sure you've done this) and it scans sectors ans picks up your data, so it uses a method called carving where it scans the raw sectors and when it sees the proper header (if you look at a hard drive in hex ffd8 is the header for a jpeg) it then scans for the footer and it builds a file using the header and footer - you actually do the same thing if you use a decent hex editor. So in the linux the file system kinda doesn't go in order which makes it way more difficult to put together the files when the filesystem is corrupt.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2012, 10:47:22 AM »
BTW - Was just testing Backblaze, They only upload maximum of 12GB daily - So nopt a good solution if you have lots of data each day. and can take a really long time for the initial backup to complete like I said earlier.

Offline jack12

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2012, 08:28:38 AM »
I use carbonite. I hope that it works the way it is supposed to and that if I ever needed to recover data, it will be able to do it.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »
I use carbonite. I hope that it works the way it is supposed to and that if I ever needed to recover data, it will be able to do it.

You can try recovering some data to see if it works. I've recovered stuff several times, worked every time for me (as long as I had set up the backup properly).
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2012, 06:50:09 AM »
whats the bottom line here, any clear winners?

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »
I use a Raid 1 NAS as my primary backup.

I have a secondary Online backup - I use Dreamhost, I have an Unlimited space, I pay $2 a month.
Basically its an FTP. I use an app called Net Drive, that lets me create this FTP and have it as a virtual drive running in a Windows environment.
What do you use to back up to the FTP drive?
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
whats the bottom line here, any clear winners?

Bump.

Offline mmermss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2012, 01:18:43 PM »
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »
Lemme review all the suggestions and I'll make a short roundup of all the pros and cons

Gimme a day or two I'm just finishing 2 Raid 5 Recoveries.