Guilty Folks with no Patience:
Dr Moose

Calm Folks that do not like to create bigger traffic jams:

Those that love when someone tries to cut in:
CM

Impassable:
Henche
« Last edited by Dr Moose on June 12, 2015, 12:10:03 PM »

Author Topic: Merging Into A Turn Lane At The Last Minute  (Read 27468 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Merging Into A Turn Lane At The Last Minute
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »
Even if you're right. That's only true if every one will do that but the reality is everyone's waiting on one line and you're cutting... if there a long line to get on a bus or a ride ave everyone's waiting on one line and you think it would be faster if there was 2 lines so you just walk up to the front and go on... Let's see how that goes?
And with that comparison it shows you are missing the bigger picture, just like the original picture was.

See here:

All commuters in NY are going from B-C on the highway. Some are taking exit A, so they are going from B-A.

If all commuters turning right in exit A stay in the right lane traffic will back up to B and all commuters going from B-C hit traffic due to the right turn lane in A being backed up. But if the commuters taking exit A ALL used both the right and the left lane traffic would flow faster on the highway and commute times in NYC would be faster because of it.

This is how I understand traffic flow. A real expert can way in differently but at least you can see the logic here.

The 2 lines in your bus story had nothing behind them, this case does...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline dealfinder85

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »
And with that comparison it shows you are missing the bigger picture, just like the original picture was.

See here:

All commuters in NY are going from B-C on the highway. Some are taking exit A, so they are going from B-A.

If all commuters turning right in exit A stay in the right lane traffic will back up to B and all commuters going from B-C hit traffic due to the right turn lane in A being backed up. But if the commuters taking exit A ALL used both the right and the left lane traffic would flow faster on the highway and commute times in NYC would be faster because of it.

This is how I understand traffic flow. A real expert can way in differently but at least you can see the logic here.
i disagree based on all my years of driving in ny
what happens is ppl go in the left lane and then go over at hte last second to get to A. so that slows down the left lane. if all the ppl going to A stuck to the right, the left would remain free flowing

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2015, 11:31:55 AM »
i disagree based on all my years of driving in ny
what happens is ppl go in the left lane and then go over at hte last second to get to A. so that slows down the left lane. if all the ppl going to A stuck to the right, the left would remain free flowing
Of course it will slow down the left lane in exit A and that's fine because the people going from B-A are less than the people going from B-C. But there will be less traffic in B.

I'm not saying this is how it is at every exit and in every case, but it is in many of them as I said in my first reply to that picture. Just look how full the left lane is and how empty the right is.

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2015, 11:33:27 AM »

See here:

The 2 lines in your bus story had nothing behind them, this case does...
Again i am saying even if you are right and everyone did that it would b better the reality is they're not doing that. And now you cutting in is holding up the ppl behind you trying to go strait while you force yourself in and the people already on line to turn so the only one you're helping is yourself

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
Of course it will slow down the left lane in exit A and that's fine because the people going from B-A are less than the people going from B-C. But there will be less traffic in B.

I'm not saying this is how it is at every exit and in every case, but it is in many of them as I said in my first reply to that picture. Just look how full the left lane is and how empty the right is.
would you rather the left lane constantly be moving and the right lane backed up
or the right lane backed up not as much but the left lane backed up bc of the mergers
i would take option 1

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2015, 11:37:43 AM »
Again i am saying even if you are right and everyone did that it would b better the reality is they're not doing that. And now you cutting in is holding up the ppl behind you trying to go strait while you force yourself in and the people already on line to turn so the only one you're helping is yourself
1 car merging doesn't really slow anything down IME.

would you rather the left lane constantly be moving and the right lane backed up
or the right lane backed up not as much but the left lane backed up bc of the mergers
i would take option 1
Option 2 assuming neither lane are as backed up in B. My point is we should do whatever is most beneficial to keeping B clear of backup.

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2015, 11:39:18 AM »
 Option 2 assuming neither lane are as backed up in B. My point is we should do whatever is most beneficial to keeping B clear of backup.
its never 1 car merging
and option 2 guarantees traffic for all
option 1 doesnt

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »
I love the idiots who think they are going to make you blink.  :)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2015, 11:44:42 AM »
its never 1 car merging
and option 2 guarantees traffic for all
option 1 doesnt
What?

Look the original picture and the conversation here, elit WAS talking about 1 car merging, so you can't say it's not.

And in case 2 why is traffic guaranteed for B? If 100 cars are in the right lane of A and 0 in the left lane, and 50 cars are backed up on B, if those 50 cars went to the left lane of A, there would not be as much traffic in B.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2015, 11:51:20 AM »
What?

Look the original picture and the conversation here, elit WAS talking about 1 car merging, so you can't say it's not.

And in case 2 why is traffic guaranteed for B? If 100 cars are in the right lane of A and 0 in the left lane, and 50 cars are backed up on B, if those 50 cars went to the left lane of A, there would not be as much traffic in B.
You're talking about where there should be two lanes going into 2 lanes. Then everyone agrees. but 2 lanes going into 1 lane will take more time than 1 lane going into 1 lane, as in OP's pic.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2015, 11:51:53 AM »
this thread must go into DDF hall of fame

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2015, 11:54:03 AM »

You're cutting admit it😁just bec you are only one and quick doesn't change that
ETA Sorry for some reason the emoji doesn't show...

Offline ADG

• View Profile
Re: Re: The funny/strange/interesting pictures thread
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2015, 11:54:43 AM »
It's very related. Sometimes you walk into the bathroom and see a long line......everyone thinks there's no toilets available when in reality there's just no STALLS avail and just around the bend there are 20 unused urinals. Half the people on line just want a urinal to but they are too afraid to step out of line to check and assume that if so many people are waiting there MUST not be anything avail. #herdmentality

The smart ones walk around the bend, see the 20 urinals, use 1, wash their hands and leave.
+1000

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2015, 11:59:08 AM »
And you block rightful cars from going as well?

That picture stands for people staying in a line when there are other options, I'm with MarkS here and others.

That one line of traffic can cause backup on the highway really far back for all traffic, but if everyone used both lanes sure people going straight would be slowed down but the general traffic on the highway which is much more important than one exit will run faster. I see this all the time.
-1000 The line to the bathroom isnt defined in the law , the ppl waiting in traffic are following the law not a social obedience. That being said I think the law should adjust itself to logic and traffic habits   

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2015, 12:00:20 PM »
You're talking about where there should be two lanes going into 2 lanes. Then everyone agrees. but 2 lanes going into 1 lane will take more time than 1 lane going into 1 lane, as in OP's pic.
My whole basis is that the OP's pic doesn't show the whole picture. Hence I drew the whole picture and then stated my logic...

You're cutting admit it😁just bec you are only one and quick doesn't change that
ETA Sorry for some reason the emoji doesn't show...
  At the end of the day logic aside I do cut and do value my time over others, if I'm not in a rush or have no plans I'm fine waiting, but usually I will cut and be proud of it. Just like everything in life if something is legal and helps me get ahead I say go for it.

-1000 The line to the bathroom isnt defined in the law , the ppl waiting in traffic are following the law not a social obedience. That being said I think the law should adjust itself to logic and traffic habits   
There is absolutely no law about not being in a straight lane. You can't go straight but you certainly can be in that lane and merge before the turn. CMIIW.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2015, 12:01:53 PM »
Requires stopping in a traffic lane,  which is illegal

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2015, 12:04:17 PM »
Requires stopping in a traffic lane,  which is illegal
Not when you need to do it to merge. I've never seen a cop ticket someone for trying to switch lanes. There may be obscure laws for anything you argue, but practically it is accepted to change lanes when you need to.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »

I've never seen a cop ticket someone for trying to switch lanes.
You obviously don't drive much in Manhattan

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2015, 12:09:58 PM »
There are specific places where it's clearly marked no switching lanes, but otherwise the "illegal" argument doesn't hold up IMO.

@jj, I love how you convinced yourself that you're actually helping traffic by cutting in and it's perfectly ok.
(I do it myself sometimes, but at least I know it's wrong.)

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2015, 12:15:40 PM »
When you start passing cars that aren't moving, smarty pants.
in that case you should get into the right lane for the brooklyn bridge as soon as you pass the triboro on the fdr (at least before they turned the middle lane into an exit lane.)