Author Topic: help with nyc to tlv award in May  (Read 2266 times)

Offline aarony

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
help with nyc to tlv award in May
« on: January 30, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
i would like to fly with my wife from nyc to tlv and back in May.  we are quite flexible with our dates.  we prefer to travel business.  i did try to search on continental, delta and us air (we don't mind driving to phl) but could not find any availability for low mileage.  If anyone has any tips for me i would really appreciate it.  (i have both spg and amex rewards points)

Offline how

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: help with nyc to tlv award in May
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 05:30:18 PM »
did you try Elal they have points for 700 matmid points starting may 9

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »
Tons of availability in LH J from EWR or JFK to TLV via FRA or MUC or LO J from EWR or JFK via WAW.
Gotta wait till later for the nonstops.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline rm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:03:27 PM »
Im looking to fly to tlv from either newark, bwi, or philedelphi on feb. 9 to the 16th. I have american express gold miles. I saw on continental site there are miles for 37,500 each way. Can i do better than this? How do I use my miles then? I have to transfer to continental, how long does this take?

Offline aarony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »
i don't mind waiting for the non-stops if there is probability that they will open up.  since we are flexible on the dates would you say there is a good chance it will open up for us?

Offline aarony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »
also, Dan, how would you rate LH J?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 08:11:21 PM »
i don't mind waiting for the non-stops if there is probability that they will open up.  since we are flexible on the dates would you say there is a good chance it will open up for us?
Free changes on CO, so take the stops and change to nonstops when they open.

also, Dan, how would you rate LH J?
Never flew them in J.  Their F class is subpar though compared to other non-US carriers.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ygift

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »
bussiness class on lh is not that great. I just flew with them and the seats are quite smaller (width) then on el al , continental, delta, air canada. The length wasnt to bad but the width really was bad. the food also was not to good

Offline aarony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »
so i can book jfk-tlv via fra and then switch it to a non-stop even though it is on different metal - correct?  is there a diff in mileage cost between stop and non-stop?  i assume this precludes me from transferring to ANA to get the cheapest mileage tix...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 08:21:09 PM »
so i can book jfk-tlv via fra and then switch it to a non-stop even though it is on different metal - correct?  is there a diff in mileage cost between stop and non-stop?  i assume this precludes me from transferring to ANA to get the cheapest mileage tix...
Has anyone had experience changing from JFK to EWR with CO? 
Book EWR-FRA-TLV to be safe. 
Same 115K CO either way.
ANA is only good for booking nonstop.

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »
Im looking to fly to tlv from either newark, bwi, or philedelphi on feb. 9 to the 16th. I have american express gold miles. I saw on continental site there are miles for 37,500 each way. Can i do better than this? How do I use my miles then? I have to transfer to continental, how long does this take?
Put the itinerary on hold on your Continental account which can be done online by doing the booking without the points.
Then you can transfer from amex almost instantly by either going to the Amex site or on Co.com there is also a page to initiate a transfer or call amex.

The short answer is that this is probably the best you can do. Unless its direct flights and you want to transfer to ANA and risk losing the availability during the 2 days the transfer takes to go through...

Offline world2see

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 01:34:42 AM »
just did this 2 weeks ago! my original reservations was TLV-FRA-JFK, i wait-listed the direct TLV-EWR flight and got confirmed around 24hrs. before flying. on the return i wasn't so lucky as every flight was booked solid(business class) so i ended up flying from JFK-MUN-TLV,the stopover was only a little over an hour,not bad at all. the flight experience was ok,other than the kosher meals which were pretty subpar. it was 115,000 co miles roundtrip