Author Topic: ALASKA is shutting down your accounts and taking away points!  (Read 170349 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: ALASKA is shutting down your accounts and taking away points!
« Reply #280 on: June 23, 2015, 07:31:26 PM »
Sorry it's you who missed the point. You're again expounding on the technicalities of what was done and it's all irrelevant. Put your calculations of "who's paying who how much for what" aside because that won't get anyone anywhere. Here's what is relevant:
Churning on a large scale is not good for AS (and/or BofA) business.
Period. That's all that matters. You're bad for their bottom line, they're legally allowed to shut you down, so they did just that (by you I mean whoever). Case closed.

So, because they're legally allowed--allegedly--to do something (through ridiculous contracts of adhesion) means that those people who have had miles confiscated should not feel aggrieved that the miles were confiscated, no matter the reason.

Got it.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #281 on: June 23, 2015, 07:33:25 PM »
They feel they can do anything because the supreme court pretty much made them feel that way.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #282 on: June 23, 2015, 07:35:24 PM »
They feel they can do anything because the supreme court pretty much made them feel that way.

Yep. But the point I was making is that it's pretty ballsy to come in here and call everyone who lost miles self-righteous for feeling aggrieved because AS is not our "yeshiva chavrusah."

OP would certainly not cry foul if next time he wore a red shirt, AS closed his account because, well, "Delta has a red logo and we feel you're standing with them in solidarity. Goodbye."

Righto.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 23, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
Award reimbursement rates are well under 1cpm.

They usually are not based on amount of points required.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #284 on: June 23, 2015, 07:36:44 PM »
I guess the real question is does BOFA do a clawback if the account is closed before x days? Or before the annual fee is paid?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 23, 2015, 07:37:39 PM »
I guess the real question is does BOFA do a clawback if the account is closed before x days? Or before the annual fee is paid?
Would sure like to know this.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 23, 2015, 07:37:45 PM »
They usually are not based on amount of points required.
Of course not, but those amounts are always set to cost the program well under 1cpm.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
ALASKA is shutting down your accounts and taking away points!
« Reply #287 on: June 23, 2015, 07:38:57 PM »
Of course not, but those amounts are always set to cost the program well under 1cpm.

Overall, because of the ppl that redeem 500k ey points for lhr-auh in f. The cpp from ddf people is likely over 1cpp, and I'd guess around 3 for this flight.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 07:47:18 PM by EJB »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 23, 2015, 07:39:58 PM »
No. They're not going to have an unprofitable redemption level.

Those people are just the gravy.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 23, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »

Some programs are over 1cpm, btw.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2015, 07:41:23 PM »
Source?

Offline Chapshnell

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #291 on: June 23, 2015, 07:43:52 PM »
St Regis Florence got paid in the mid $70 range for a $2800 room on C&P. At the DO in Reserve Dan didnt want to believe it but I saw it with my own eyes on their computer

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 23, 2015, 07:46:04 PM »
I'm talking about airline programs, not hotel programs which have a 95% clause.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 23, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »
I must side with AJ3042.
If AS wasn't losing money from this, they wouldn't be auditing and shutting down accounts left and right. We might not know the exact contract that they have with BofA, but obviously one of them is losing big money from people  churning millions of points. So either BofA or AS is losing money, but we do see AS is the one doing the auditing, so it's likely them losing the money.

If BofA is losing money, they might be forcing AS to audit, close accounts, and clawback miles for them to continue their existing deal.
Visibly Jewish

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #294 on: June 23, 2015, 08:09:30 PM »
Would sure like to know this.
You can try posting on FT
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 23, 2015, 08:14:21 PM »
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 23, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
If AS wasn't losing money from this, they wouldn't be auditing and shutting down accounts left and right.

So taking money with one hand, and then taking more with the other is not enough incentive for you?

And the issue isn't whether or not AS or BoA is losing money; the issue:

[T]he point I was making is that it's pretty ballsy to come in here and call everyone who lost miles self-righteous for feeling aggrieved because AS is not our "yeshiva chavrusah."

OP would certainly not cry foul if next time he wore a red shirt, AS closed his account because, well, "Delta has a red logo and we feel you're standing with them in solidarity. Goodbye."

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »
So taking money with one hand, and then taking more with the other is not enough incentive for you?

And the issue isn't whether or not AS or BoA is losing money; the issue:

Again, you don't know the precise details of the contract and relationship between AS and BofA.

Complaining based on clueless assumptions is nothing more than whining.
Visibly Jewish

Offline peace123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 23, 2015, 08:49:47 PM »
Just a small update from an abridged version of a 50 minute phone call i had with an AS supervisor regarding my audit - so you guys can either cry, laugh, shake your head, or whichever you feel is the right reaction!

(For clarity's sake - account had 370k in it from BofA bonuses, 90k was used to book EK F, and 280k taken out during the audit)

AS rep - "Your account was shut down because you canceled the cc's from BofA, and you purchased a flight using the miles. So your account balance is now currently negative 20k, the only way to open your account is by purchasing 20k miles"

Me - "Who exactly audited my account, was is BofA or AS?

AS rep - "It was AS"

Me - "So because i opened and closed cc's from BofA, AS is shutting down my account. That sounds rather strange to me due to the fact i don't recall seeing in any of the T&C's that by closing my credit card i will loose my miles."

AS rep - "It is because you are churning a lot credit cards, and i'm well aware of how that works, as i follow FlyerTalk myself, especially the last 3 weeks when everyone is talking about AS shut downs, and in our point of view - churning credit cards and not paying the annual fees is fraud."

Me - "So if i reopen my BofA cc's and pay the AF's i'll get my 280k miles back?"

AS rep - "No, that will not help"

Me - "but wasn't the reason i was audited because i didn't pay the AF's, so if i pay them now that would solve the issue, no?"

AS rep - "AS MilagePlan is loyalty program, and the way you are treating the program by opening up an AS account just so you can churn BofA credit cards isn't loyal and we have decided to no longer have you as a customer"

Me - "then why do you partner with BofA and allow them to give out millage bonuses if you're just going to shut down the accounts because of it?"

AS rep - ".... you just took the miles and used them to fly on Emirates which costs us $10k-15k a ticket, and that is something we can't handle"

(I almost fainted when he said that, how dumb can a rep be to say something like that straight out?!)

Me - "you mentioned before that churning cc's is fraud, would you mind elaborating a little what exactly is illegal and fraudulent about churning cc's?"

AS rep - "I'm not a lawyer and I can't answer what's legal and what's not, but from a layman's point of view it looks fraudulent and we have the right to close down accounts, and by signing up for cc's and closing them, it's like making a purchase, getting the miles, using them and then refunding the purchases"

Me - "BofA paid AS for the miles, then what exactly is the issue with churning cc's, as far as AS is concerned the miles were paid already?"

AS rep - "well, they weren't paid for because BofA clawed them back"

Me - "Didn't you say that the audit was from AS and NOT BofA, and now you are changing the story"

AS rep - "it doesn't make a difference who the audit is from, the bottom line is that your account is negative 20k and we are not even going to consider reopening your account until you pay us for that balance due"

After i hang up, i received the following email from AS -

Pretty interesting to note that in BofA's T&C's it only says that the companion pass becomes no longer eligible if "If your Account is closed, changed from an Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Account to an account other than a Visa Signature Account or an Account with no annual fee", but it does not mention a word regarding clawing back the 25k miles.
I would have recorded the whole cr*p she said to you! AS got paid for its miles by BOA. It is all full of c**p
don't know whether to believe you or not and also there is nothing in terms that says you have to pay back for miles if you cancel and not paying AF.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:58:57 PM by peace123 »