Author Topic: ALASKA is shutting down your accounts and taking away points!  (Read 170376 times)

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Re: ALASKA is shutting down your accounts and taking away points!
« Reply #260 on: June 23, 2015, 06:47:58 PM »
ASS would explain the dumping part  :P

Stealing my lines, are we now? What was that rule about not posting PMs in public?!

Dan, please ban this bloodsucker. >:D

(If you're gonna steal my line, at least do it right: Well, "ASS" would explain why Yvette took a "s***" on her "keyboard".)

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 23, 2015, 06:52:34 PM »
This part I don't understand. I think D93 made a very good point. The miles BoA credits its AS-cardholders have already been bought and paid for.

What right does AS have to yank the miles out of an account that have--from the perspective of AS--been dutifully earned?

Unless the rep is right? Did BoA actually claw back miles and I missed those reports?

Some speculation on FT was that AS doesn't sell miles to BoA in the same way that United sells to Chase, for example. Instead, BoA merely reports card activity to AS and AS handles the miles. Closing the account wouldn't lead BoA to clawback the miles, but it would result in AS recognizing an immediate loss on the 25k miles it issued.

I don't know how true the speculation is.

Offline D93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 23, 2015, 06:53:07 PM »
This part I don't understand. I think D93 made a very good point. The miles BoA credits its AS-cardholders have already been bought and paid for.

What right does AS have to yank the miles out of an account that have--from the perspective of AS--been dutifully earned?

Unless the rep is right? Did BoA actually claw back miles and I missed those reports?
It depends which version you go by, in the beginning of the conversation he said that AS audited the account and sent the miles back to BofA and then later he switched and said that BofA audited the account and clawed back the miles.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 23, 2015, 06:53:19 PM »
It would be nice to know. Suntrust clawed back massive amounts from DL accounts so it might have been BOA.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline D93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2015, 06:56:07 PM »
Stealing my lines, are we now? What was that rule about not posting PMs in public?!

Dan, please ban this bloodsucker. >:D

(If you're gonna steal my line, at least do it right: Well, "ASS" would explain why Yvette took a "s***" on her "keyboard".)
I didn't want to get banned like someone else we both know, so I altered it a drop, and once I altered it, it's no longer YOUR PM.

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #265 on: June 23, 2015, 06:58:51 PM »
Wow this is a worst nightmare scenario-getting a rep who's a churner and reads FT.
I just want to point out that this self righteousness is way over the top. What many don't seem to understand is that AS or BofA is not your chavrusa in yeshiva. As much as you try to reason why churning 10 cards at a time is "legal" they're not going to like it and they have every right to react the way they did. Keep in mind just like you say it's "legal" for you to do what you did they say it's "legal" for them to close your account down on whim (which is true).
Please stop making it sound like these evil monsters are stealing the miles out of our mouths. They're simply waking up to bad business practices they have allowed until now.

PS. No offense meant and I'm not referring to anyone in particular. I'm also upset they're waking up but they have every right to do what they're doing.

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 23, 2015, 06:59:24 PM »
They might pay 5k per ticket though.
Also, AS may be blaming boa for pr purposes - perhaps with bofa's approval (perhaps due to pressure).
Or perhaps bofa is demanding refunds from AS, and is getting AS to do the dirty work, but why would AS take the blame if they can just make a deal with any other bank?
Otoh, Why would AS care about the annual fee, unless that's just a bs excuse to get out of paying for 5k tickets.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #267 on: June 23, 2015, 07:01:16 PM »
Award reimbursement rates are well under 1cpm.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
You mean how much bofa pays As, or how much AS pays ek?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2015, 07:03:27 PM »
Wow this is a worst nightmare scenario-getting a rep who's a churner and reads FT.
I just want to point out that this self righteousness is way over the top. What many don't seem to understand is that AS or BofA is not your chavrusa in yeshiva. As much as you try to reason why churning 10 cards at a time is "legal" they're not going to like it and they have every right to react the way they did. Keep in mind just like you say it's "legal" for you to do what you did they say it's "legal" for them to close your account down on whim (which is true).
Please stop making it sound like these evil monsters are stealing the miles out of our mouths. They're simply waking up to bad business practices they have allowed until now.

PS. No offense meant and I'm not referring to anyone in particular. I'm also upset they're waking up but they have every right to do what they're doing.
Why is my hand shacking trying to give you a +1.  :)

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #270 on: June 23, 2015, 07:04:47 PM »
Why is my hand shaking trying to give you a +1.  :)
Haha finally I've earned it!

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #271 on: June 23, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »

Your statement is very general, which gives the wrong impression.
Chase doesn't share the same contract with Chase as Amex does with Delta.

If you know the contract terms of BofA with AS (and I believe you do - otherwise you would've never posted that comment in this thread), you should say 'Award reimbursement rates from BofA to AS are well under 1cpm."
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #272 on: June 23, 2015, 07:12:32 PM »

Who's being self-righteous?

Your post evidences the fact that you've missed the point.

Unless there is some unique relationship between BoA and AS whereby AS somehow, oddly, does not get paid by BoA for the miles awarded from signing up for and using the AS CC, how would YOU feel if I bought you a Yankees ticket because due to losing a bet with you you that the weather would reach 90 degrees today, and then the Yankees denied you entry because they don't like that the ticket was bought because it was as a result of a bet, on baseball or otherwise?

I think you'd be singing a different tune... a tune some might say resembles self-righteousness.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 23, 2015, 07:16:38 PM »
Who's being self-righteous?

Your post evidences the fact that you've missed the point.

Unless there is some unique relationship between BoA and AS whereby AS somehow, oddly, does not get paid by BoA for the miles awarded from signing up for and using the AS CC, how would YOU feel if I bought a you a Yankees ticket because I lost a bet with you that the weather would reach 90 degrees today, and then the Yankees denied you entry because they don't condone betting, on baseball or otherwise?

I think you'd be singing a different tune... a tune some might say resembles self-righteousness.
Sorry it's you who missed the point. You're again expounding on the technicalities of what was done and it's all irrelevant. Put your calculations of "who's paying who how much for what" aside because that won't get anyone anywhere. Here's what is relevant:
Churning on a large scale is not good for AS (and/or BofA) business.
Period. That's all that matters. You're bad for their bottom line, they're legally allowed to shut you down, so they did just that (by you I mean whoever). Case closed.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 23, 2015, 07:19:59 PM »
Period. That's all that matters. You're bad for their bottom line, they're legally allowed to shut you down, so they did just that (by you I mean whoever). Case closed.
First part you are correct. Second part I am not so sure.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2015, 07:21:06 PM »
Your statement is very general, which gives the wrong impression.
Chase doesn't share the same contract with Chase as Amex does with Delta.

If you know the contract terms of BofA with AS (and I believe you do - otherwise you would've never posted that comment in this thread), you should say 'Award reimbursement rates from BofA to AS are well under 1cpm."
Was referring to the claim that AS pays EK 5K, 10K or 15K.
$500 is far, far more likely than those.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 23, 2015, 07:24:16 PM »
First part you are correct. Second part I am not so sure.
What do you mean? What don't you like about the second part?

Offline harrym

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2015, 07:24:41 PM »

AS rep - "Your account was shut down because you canceled the cc's from BofA, and you purchased a flight using the miles. So your account balance is now currently negative 20k, the only way to open your account is by purchasing 20k miles"

[/quote

Don't understand why the negative 20k, should be 90k for the EK F.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2015, 07:27:21 PM »
What do you mean? What don't you like about the second part?
They can't just shutdown an account with miles in it on a whim.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2015, 07:27:41 PM »
Sorry it's you who missed the point. You're again expounding on the technicalities of what was done and it's all irrelevant. Put your calculations of "who's paying who how much for what" aside because that won't get anyone anywhere. Here's what is relevant:

You say technicality, I say meaningful distinction.

Setting aside the fact that these T&C are contracts of adhesion, I for one would find it disturbing that AS is, with one hand, collecting money from BoA for purchased miles, while, with the other hand, confiscating those purchased miles once earned because of a vague and alleged breach of the terms. (Which terms? Well, even their own don't seem to include provisions for this, and it's even much more preposterous if they're confiscating them based on the BoA terms.)

And, further, if in fact BoA pays AS for the miles earned from the AS card, then I fail to see why there would be any material loss on the part of BA that would make it bad for business. FTR, only some very, very small fraction of awards are even booked on partners, let alone booked in a premium cabin on EK.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper