Author Topic: Car accident  (Read 5844 times)

Online yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Car accident
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 10:28:26 AM »
ask geico

Whenever I ask Geico these type of questions,
I always get some vague response that it's impossible to know what premium will be at renewal or something along those lines.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 10:37:45 AM »

Whenever I ask Geico these type of questions,
I always get some vague response that it's impossible to know what premium will be at renewal or something along those lines.
I once got through to their underwriting dept and they were able to tell me that for my specific case if Gieco has to lay out over $1,000 then it would affect my premium. They couldn't tell me how much though.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 11:53:28 AM »
A rental car hit my car, and the rental car company wants to pay only 80% of $2500 damage, leaving me with about $500 out of pocket expenses (plus rental car expenses).
Is there any reason not to go through my own Geico insurance?
I pay the $500 deductible, but get full coverage and rental car expenses reimbursed.

I don't want my premium to shoot up after it expires, though Geico does have me at 0% fault for the accident.
why is it up to them to decide how much to pay and why is it the rental company you are discussing with and not their insurance?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:21:12 PM by aygart »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »
A rental car hit my car, and the rental car company wants to pay only 80% of $2500 damage, leaving me with about $500 out of pocket expenses (plus rental car expenses).
Is there any reason not to go through my own Geico insurance?
I pay the $500 deductible, but get full coverage and rental car expenses reimbursed.

I don't want my premium to shoot up after it expires, though Geico does have me at 0% fault for the accident.

You should consider thatvin the next few years you may want to switch insurance but may be surchaged for the accident.
Will be more trouble now but i would fight them. You can start by filing complaint with the state.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »
why is it up to them to decide how much to pay and why is it the rental company you are discussing with and not their insurance?

They are self-insured.
Though any insurance company would probably go through the same process.
Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »
They are self-insured.
Though any insurance company would probably go through the same process.
But on what basis are they claiming that they do not need to pay the full amount?

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 03:35:25 PM »
But on what basis are they claiming that they do not need to pay the full amount?

I don't they're saying this idea of comparative negligence gets them off the hook somewhat.
That they won't pay 100% no matter what.

That even though someone crosses an intersection without the right of way, I'm supposed to be able to help diminish the impact of the accident by braking faster or whatever.
Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 05:34:25 PM »
I don't they're saying this idea of comparative negligence gets them off the hook somewhat.
That they won't pay 100% no matter what.

That even though someone crosses an intersection without the right of way, I'm supposed to be able to help diminish the impact of the accident by braking faster or whatever.
take them to small claims court. I know some people who did that and got more than they were originally trying for.

Offline smee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 08:25:10 AM »
Not if geico has to pay more than 1000

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 09:23:10 AM »
I was reversing into a spot and as I was turning in someone came around me and swiped me. He claims I hit him because my wheel was turning in reverse so my car came out and hit his as he went around me. I cancelled the call for the police , he agreed to go to body shop and pay half which came out to $175. Its basically scuffs and minor crack on the bumper. Anyone know who would fix it cheaper in Brooklyn?
Always make a police report.  The report is NOT sent to the insurance company.  You can ignore it or use it to file with your insurance company.
If the co-accident person doesn't pay, you can file insurance then.  It also protects you from them adding 4 passengers with whiplash to their car and charging your insurance.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »
Did your rate stay the same the next time you renewed your policy ?

yes

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 09:35:48 AM »
im 99% sure if you are deemed not at fault your rates won't go up. at least mine have never gone up both times.

Legally, insurance companies cannot charge a higher rate based on no fault accidents found in drivers record. They get around this though by having the same rate and providing discounts for being accident free, which they yank away even for no fault accidents (and add surcharges for at fault ones). Maybe not all companies do this, I wouldn't know, but it is also possible that your rates already excluded those discounts for other reasons so you didn't feel any extra.

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 09:42:14 AM »
Legally, insurance companies cannot charge a higher rate based on no fault accidents found in drivers record. They get around this though by having the same rate and providing discounts for being accident free, which they yank away even for no fault accidents (and add surcharges for at fault ones). Maybe not all companies do this, I wouldn't know, but it is also possible that your rates already excluded those discounts for other reasons so you didn't feel any extra.

I doubt my rate didn't include those discounts, and even so his rates may already not include those discounts. but even so we aren't talking huge amounts of change to his insurance bill if its just the discount going away.

Offline semper fi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2015, 05:19:09 PM »
Always make a police report.  The report is NOT sent to the insurance company.  You can ignore it or use it to file with your insurance company.
If the co-accident person doesn't pay, you can file insurance then.  It also protects you from them adding 4 passengers with whiplash to their car and charging your insurance.
Just btw: when you make a police report it will always show up on the carfax from the vin. Something to keep in mind if you are going to want to sell your car down the road.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2015, 09:37:21 PM »
Just btw: when you make a police report it will always show up on the carfax from the vin. Something to keep in mind if you are going to want to sell your car down the road.
Thanks.  I didn't know that.  But someone who was going to settle his scratch 'just between us' grew 3 passengers with whiplash and reported it as my error to their insurance.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 10:05:18 PM »
-1. My car was involved in a small fender bender last year. Police report was filed, insurance claim made, etc. When I sold my car last month, it did not show up on the car fax report.

Offline semper fi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 10:12:17 PM »
-1. My car was involved in a small fender bender last year. Police report was filed, insurance claim made, etc. When I sold my car last month, it did not show up on the car fax report.
There is no way to know in advance of calling police if it will make a hit on carfax. I have had the smallest fender bender with no insurance claim show up.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 10:15:57 PM by semper fi »