Author Topic: Portable Washer  (Read 1651 times)

Offline mek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Portable Washer
« on: June 22, 2015, 08:46:53 AM »
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for a portable washing machine?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Portable Washer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 10:33:01 AM »
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for a portable washing machine?
I'm interested as well.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline HP

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 07:17:13 PM »
We have a PANDA miniature washing machine. We bought it on Amazon. (Link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AW04ZMM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage) It's tiny.

It washes well, though, with a few hacks from Reader's Digest's Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things, which I'd be glad to share if anyone's interested.

One thing you'd have to be aware of is that it's not automatic. You have to turn the dial from wash to drain when the load's done, and refill it manually for the rinse cycle. We use it in our bathtub and use a handheld showerhead to fill.

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:42:26 PM »
It's tiny.

It washes well, though, with a few hacks from Reader's Digest's Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things, which I'd be glad to share if anyone's interested.

You have to turn the dial from wash to drain when the load's done, and refill it manually for the rinse cycle.

Can it fit a decent amount of kids clothing? How often does it have to be refilled for a standard wash? And yes please share some hacks that you have for it. Thanks!

Offline HP

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »
I have 2 kids (toddlers), and I try to do their laundry once a week so it doesn't build up. But it can hold probably close to 2 week's worth of my kids' clothing.

My husband says I should tell everyone that he finds it annoying. I don't think it's as bad as he does.

When I do their laundry, I first put the clothing plus some baking soda into the washer, fill it up, and add about 3/4 of a cup of lemon juice (it's a natural color-safe bleach). Turn the wash dial to 3 minutes then let it sit for half an hour. Drain.
Add about 1/2 cup of washing soda plus detergent to the load, then fill it up with water. Turn the wash dial to 10-12 minutes. Then drain.
Fill up the machine again, and add a cup of vinegar (for a natural fabric softener) plus essential oils (I use 5-7 drops tea tree for disinfectant and 15-20 drops lemon for a good smell). Turn the wash dial to 10-12 minutes again, and drain.

There's a spin dryer attached that I find the most annoying part of washing. It's very small, but it gets the clothing pretty dry. Then you have to hang to finish drying.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask more questions.

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 09:25:13 PM »
I have 2 kids (toddlers), and I try to do their laundry once a week so it doesn't build up. But it can hold probably close to 2 week's worth of my kids' clothing.
There's a spin dryer attached that I find the most annoying part of washing. It's very small, but it gets the clothing pretty dry. Then you have to hang to finish drying.

Thanks! 2 weeks is a serious amount of clothing! I plan on hang drying anyways so that wont be such an issue. Would you say that this does a good cleaning and can take out stains and smells?

Offline HP

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 11:53:13 PM »
It's about half the size of a regular washing machine. Maybe a little less.

It does an excellent jobs on smells. Using my method, I've gotten out stains that my mother couldn't get out of clothing that was hand-me-down-ed to my kids.

I should mention again that it's not easy. Laundry does take a lot longer and a lot more effort than with a regular washing machine, but if you live in an apartment building with no laundry room, it's great. Get a handheld showerhead with a long hose, though.

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 12:11:39 AM »
I am just curious as to why people on the forums are in need of a portable washing machine.
Is this for an RV or camping?

Or is it for a bungalow that does not allow for a regular
washing machine and you would like to avoid the hassle of going to the laundromat?

When else is this useful? Is it practical to lug around such a thing on a trip? You can just
pay a buck and clean your cloths in any hotel washing machine....
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 04:37:31 AM »
I am just curious as to why people on the forums are in need of a portable washing machine.

washing machine and you would like to avoid the hassle of going to the laundromat?

When else is this useful? Is it practical to lug around such a thing on a trip? You can just
Based on the thread timing I would imagine for limited space bungalows

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 09:24:25 AM »

Small apartment? And don't want to use the building machines.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 06:33:44 PM »
I have this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magic-Chef-2.1-cu.-ft.-Top-Load-Portable-Washer/20656384

Not ideal but does the job.

The hookup it comes with is meant for a sink. I had to get a piece from Home Depot to make it fit on the shower head.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD