Author Topic: Landlord issues  (Read 8220 times)

Offline Chapshnell

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
Re: Landlord issues
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2015, 06:13:55 PM »
Again, if he has a bed or a toilet in an illegal basement if he has any brains he fixes the issues. On a side note, once the HPD violations are on you can (if you want) withhold the rent & play hardball. just giving you options.. Not necessarily what I would do.. yes he can lock it but I HIGHLY doubt that he has a violation monitoring system in place. doesnt seem like its a multiple unit dwelling where it makes sense. seems more like a heimishe situation here

Offline whacked1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2015, 06:18:12 PM »
I am a legal tenant with separate meter. I did mention it at first he seems scared and he said he does not have an apt in the basement (i live in the upstairs apt i know he has someone living there) but after 6 months he saw it was an empty threat.
I'm a tenant as well with a frum landlord. I had a serious roach problem last summer, I kept on getting all worked up at my landlord, in the end I just handled it on my own. Should the landlord have taken care of it? Yes. But I didnt have the patience or the nerves to keep on bothering him about it. It was stressing me out. Bottom line is it might just not be worth it for you. I'm not sure how to get rid of water bugs but I completely got rid of my roaches on my own. Unless you are willing to call 311...

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2015, 07:20:41 PM »
I am a legal tenant with separate meter. I did mention it at first he seems scared and he said he does not have an apt in the basement (i live in the upstairs apt i know he has someone living there) but after 6 months he saw it was an empty threat.
Big mistake. Never make threats you don't intend to keep.

Make promises.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd give him a set deadline by which all issues legally required must be remedied or else I call 311 and/or start withholding rent. End of story.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2015, 12:02:53 AM »
Someone once came to r' moshe because someone owed him a few thousand dollars and wasn't paying so r' moshe told him to threaten the guy that he will burn his house down although he can't actually burn it down he should have him convinced that he would actually do it
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Chapshnell

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2015, 12:10:18 AM »
Someone once came to r' moshe because someone owed him a few thousand dollars and wasn't paying so r' moshe told him to threaten the guy that he will burn his house down although he can't actually burn it down he should have him convinced that he would actually do it

in skver they actually took the psak & ran with it

Offline Chapshnell

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2015, 12:12:50 AM »
no, nevermind.. I see already where this is heading  :D

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2015, 12:13:34 AM »
no, nevermind.. I see already where this is heading  :D
I didn't mean to take it there sorry  :-\
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ya

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2015, 10:36:45 AM »
Big mistake. Never make threats you don't intend to keep.

Make promises.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd give him a set deadline by which all issues legally required must be remedied or else I call 311 and/or start withholding rent. End of story.

Trust me I will keep up to my threat my only issue is once i use my only thing i have over him.... then i have nothing over him...

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »
Trust me I will keep up to my threat my only issue is once i use my only thing i have over him.... then i have nothing over him...
You won't be any worse off than you are now.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2015, 11:53:23 AM »
Trust you? You've already failed to follow through. And now you see the results. You've acknowledged them yourself.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2015, 11:54:17 AM »
Trust you? You've already failed to follow through. And now you see the results. You've acknowledged them yourself.

I'm glad I'm not your tenant :P
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2015, 11:57:32 AM »
I think calling 311 on the illegal apt would be my last last resort....I am deff going to do it but it may just be the day I am moving out.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2015, 12:01:41 PM »
I'm glad I'm not your tenant
You mean my landlord? :)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »
I think calling 311 on the illegal apt would be my last last resort....I am deff going to do it but it may just be the day I am moving out.
I'm not suggesting you call on the illegal apt. I'm suggesting you find out what you're entitled to, demand those things by a certain date and then follow through with the complaint to 311 if left unrectified.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2015, 12:04:33 PM »
I'm not suggesting you call on the illegal apt. I'm suggesting you find out what you're entitled to, demand those things by a certain date and then follow through with the complaint to 311 if left unrectified.
Yup I am doing that now

Offline Chapshnell

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2015, 01:04:01 PM »
What do you gain by reporting an illegal apt to 311? Your apt wont get fixed...... will you feel better that a guy that was giving you a hard time is now in trouble? maybe.. But why not just focus on getting what you need done for your basic acceptable living conditions?? No need to go "lehachis" here.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »
What do you gain by reporting an illegal apt to 311? Your apt wont get fixed...... will you feel better that a guy that was giving you a hard time is now in trouble? maybe.. But why not just focus on getting what you need done for your basic acceptable living conditions?? No need to go "lehachis" here.
IINM, he was referring to calling about the violations in his own apartment.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »
You mean my landlord? :)

That too :D
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2015, 02:15:25 PM »
It will keep my landlord in line.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »
I'm a tenant as well with a frum landlord. I had a serious roach problem last summer, I kept on getting all worked up at my landlord, in the end I just handled it on my own. Should the landlord have taken care of it? Yes. But I didnt have the patience or the nerves to keep on bothering him about it. It was stressing me out. Bottom line is it might just not be worth it for you. I'm not sure how to get rid of water bugs but I completely got rid of my roaches on my own. Unless you are willing to call 311...
+1

Your goal should be to get things done.  You're getting carried away with getting your landlord to do it for you.  He's supposed to, but since he's not, concentrate on what you need.  If you're handy, you can do the repairs and the bug extermination yourself.  It won't cost much more than time and attention.  If you can't do any of it yourself, hire people to do the things that are most important for your peace of mind.
Ignore your landlord. Live your life.  Yes, it’ll cost.  But chalk it up to life experience and ahavas chinam.

My favorite cause: cssy.org