Author Topic: Supreme Court of the United States Recent Rulings  (Read 73859 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Supreme Court of the United States
« Reply #240 on: June 26, 2015, 05:54:03 PM »
the example used in Psachim of someone you have a mitzvah to hate is znus. That is the sonaacha of prika uteina.
I finally found the Pesachim and I don't think these people we are dealing with here fulfill the conditions (at least I HOPE you didn't see them all doing a Dvar Erva....)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #241 on: June 26, 2015, 05:55:35 PM »
I think that's one of the biggest issues with people today. Everybody is so afraid of being called a racist or a hater or a bigot or close-minded or intolerant that we all just parrot the popular catchphrases and bend over backwards trying to incorporate secular ideas into our belief system.
I think that's one of the biggest issues today, people are so uptight and wound up they mistake corny jokes for ideologies.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #242 on: June 26, 2015, 05:56:58 PM »
Actually many poskim say it is assur to rule from shulchan aruch without knowing what leads to it. This includes kadmonim like the maharsha, maharshal, and those who followed. Saying that halacha starts and ends with shulchan aruch is ignorance. it starts with shas and goes to poskim. But again, another discussion.
::)
I said bring the Shu"a and then we'll DISCUSS IT...

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #243 on: June 26, 2015, 06:05:47 PM »
I think that's one of the biggest issues with people today. Everybody is so afraid of being called a racist or a hater or a bigot or close-minded or intolerant that we all just parrot the popular catchphrases and bend over backwards trying to incorporate secular ideas into our belief system.
Couldn't have said it better. Which is why I said, the more titles you have today-hater, bigot, homophobe, intolerant, etc., the more praiseworthy you generally are.
::)
I said bring the Shu"a and then we'll DISCUSS IT...
Can we wait for after Shabbos? Please? :D

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #244 on: June 26, 2015, 06:09:25 PM »
I'm sorry, Halachah for me is Shu"A, not Gemarah and not Rambam (unless your from Teiman) bring the Shu"a and we'll see if it applies to this case.
How about MGA? Other poskim After the SA? Chofetz Chaim?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 26, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »
I finally found the Pesachim and I don't think these people we are dealing with here fulfill the conditions (at least I HOPE you didn't see them all doing a Dvar Erva....)
There are conditions under which assumptions may be made. The general assumption is that someone who flaunts being gay especially to the extent of marriage has done mishkav zochor.

Offline Aj3042

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #246 on: June 26, 2015, 06:12:33 PM »
There are conditions under which assumptions may be made. The general assumption is that someone who flaunts being gay especially to the extent of marriage has done mishkav zochor.
Yep pretty basic point there not sure what's so hard to get.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #247 on: June 26, 2015, 06:23:18 PM »
You obviously do't get it. There's a mitzvah to hate those who publicly flaunt their aveiros. Please learn the inyanim first then talk. Now we're discussing halacha not your opinions so please educate yourself before taking part (this includes gemara and poskim not just chabad torah's)
And I quote.
,Gemara in Brachos, and paskened in Rambam. A person who openly violates the Torah it is muttar to hate him. it says those exact words.
Have a good shabbos.

the MGA says it is someone who does not accept tochacha. What you wrote about them saying that one is allowed to hate them is simply ignorance. That is not what"mitzvah lisnoso"means
I don't think you hate yourself, so what I said wasn't directed towards you.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 26, 2015, 06:23:52 PM »
And the march toward craziness continues.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nyc-bill-require-bathrooms-gender-neutral-32053243
considering that it only applies to single user bathrooms and not multi stall ones, who cares? Why were they labeled for a gender in the first place?

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 26, 2015, 06:35:21 PM »

The difference is that those are immoral without bringing religion into it.  Maybe a distinction without a difference to you, but not to a lot of people.

Who decides what is moral and what is not? Does it go according to what you "feel" is moral? If you like like it - it's moral, and if you don't - it's not? Perhaps rape and murder can be justified?

What Liberals fail to acknowledge is that morality has its roots in the Bible. The founding fathers of the United States, the same ones that wrote the Constitution to PROTECT American citizens from tyranny, have also written how we are a nation under G-D.

Is adultery immoral? Says who? Is incest immoral? Says who? Is pedophilia immoral? Who says children under 18 can't "consent"?

A man sleeping with another man is utterly despicable. Not because I said so (even though the mere thought makes me vomit) but because G-D did. Don't believe in G-D? Then perhaps you should butt out of the constitution which was written by those who do believe in G-D.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #250 on: June 26, 2015, 06:55:38 PM »

The founding fathers... have also written how we are a nation under G-D.

Source?

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2015, 07:01:26 PM »
Who decides what is moral and what is not? Does it go according to what you "feel" is moral? If you like like it - it's moral, and if you don't - it's not? Perhaps rape and murder can be justified?

What Liberals fail to acknowledge is that morality has its roots in the Bible. The founding fathers of the United States, the same ones that wrote the Constitution to PROTECT American citizens from tyranny, have also written how we are a nation under G-D.

Secular morality exists, whether you like it or not.  Morals can be determined using social, cultural, historical norms, religion, etc., or any combination thereof.  Are you really trying to compare being gay to murder and rape?

Is adultery immoral? Says who? Is incest immoral? Says who? Is pedophilia immoral? Who says children under 18 can't "consent"?

If you need religion to tell you that certain things are wrong I don't even...

A man sleeping with another man is utterly despicable.

Because you've been inculcated that it's vile.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  But know, if you were born in isolation - more likely than not - you wouldn't have the same reaction.

Don't believe in G-D? Then perhaps you should butt out of the constitution which was written by those who do believe in G-D.

Ummm, most of the founding fathers were theistic rationalists, according to most historians.  Go read some quotes of theirs and you'll think they were atheists and others imply they were more religious.  No way to know for certain.

Lastly, contrary to popular belief, the constitution was not based on Christianity or its values.  Just read the Treaty of Tripoli.

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2015, 07:05:14 PM »

Source?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2015, 07:07:59 PM »
You have the right to be as outraged as you want. You have that right not just as a Torah believing Jew but as an American citizen. As for me, getting outraged about a ruling that has no bearing on how I keep Torah seems like a waste of energy.

Are you sure it has no bearing on you as a Jew? There is speculation as to whether today's ruling has effectively made gay marriage a "civil right". If it is, then if two gay men or women ask a rabbi to be Mesader Kiddushin and he refuses, he can potentially be penalized for violating their civil rights. Same goes for a Jewish wedding hall, musician, caterer etc..

Again, this is speculation. I'm not a constitutional lawyer. All I'm saying is don't be so sure this won't affect Torah Observant Jews.

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2015, 07:11:01 PM »
Secular morality exists, whether you like it or not.  Morals can be determined using social, cultural, historical norms, religion, etc., or any combination thereof.  Are you really trying to compare being gay to murder and rape?

If you need religion to tell you that certain things are wrong I don't even...

You are fundamentally mistaken there.

What's wrong with anything? Why is the "law of the jungle" not moral? Why are all men equal?

THERE IS NO MORALITY WITHOUT G-D.

Tzvi Freeman explains this idea quite well here: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/36441/jewish/How-Does-G-d-Decide-Whats-Right-and-Whats-Wrong.htm

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 26, 2015, 07:16:49 PM »
You are fundamentally mistaken there.

What's wrong with anything? Why is the "law of the jungle" not moral? Why are all men equal?

THERE IS NO MORALITY WITHOUT G-D.

Tzvi Freeman explains this idea quite well here: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/36441/jewish/How-Does-G-d-Decide-Whats-Right-and-Whats-Wrong.htm

I'll read that later.  But, why isn't every atheist a thief, murderer and rapist?  Because there can be an innate sense of right and wrong based on the other factor I mentioned.  The main difference between religious morals and secular morals is that secular morals are solely based on things that harm others.  Religious morals are more encompassing. 

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2015, 07:28:14 PM »
Just read the last ten pages and hopefully when most of you come back the hatred will not return.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »
I wasn't following for the past hour but here's a thought experiment before licht bentchen.

If the Supreme Court ruled that Buddhism is illegal due to the idol worshipping not being consistent with the Christian values of the founding fathers, would you take it as a great victory for Sheva Mitzvos Bnei Noach or a dangerous meddling in what should be a religious matter?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2015, 07:59:59 PM »
I wasn't following for the past hour but here's a thought experiment before licht bentchen.

If the Supreme Court ruled that Buddhism is illegal due to the idol worshipping not being consistent with the Christian values of the founding fathers, would you take it as a great victory for Sheva Mitzvos Bnei Noach or a dangerous meddling in what should be a religious matter?
That.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »

Speaking of slippery slopes... Good shabbos!