Author Topic: Supreme Court of the United States Recent Rulings  (Read 73861 times)

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Court of the United States
« Reply #380 on: June 28, 2015, 10:13:14 PM »
Then thats pretty troublesome.
Yup bc all religious non profits rely heavily on it.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 28, 2015, 10:13:26 PM »
Perhaps they wont be prosecuted or sued, but someone commenting on the Fink article brought up a diffrent concern. Is the tax exempt status of a non profit  orginization that refuses to marry a gay couple going to be at risk? I dont know much about this topic but the commenter claims that the irs retracts tax exempt status from non profits that are discriminatory.
What about the Catholic church that discriminates against women by not letting them be Priest?

Someone beat me to it but the point is obvious.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 28, 2015, 10:16:58 PM »
I'm not so sure that's true.  Religious institutions can discriminate in certain instances, i.e. not allow female clergy.  That would be illegal discrimination against a protected class in any other situation.
Honestly i have no idea but the guy who told me this is pretty well versed in this topic

Offline aradisc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 28, 2015, 10:25:01 PM »
No as in "no, I have combed over the law, and have concluded that an orthodox Jewish caterer can't be sued for turning down a gay customer"

Anti-discrimination statutes mostly apply to housing, workplaces, and places of public accommodation, not independent contractors. The state of the law is that religions, private clubs, and businesses that aren't a public accommodation can pretty much discriminate as they see fit.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #384 on: June 28, 2015, 10:28:44 PM »
...but when the courts say it then it is so.
What are you talking about? "The courts" said nothing of the sort. The only thing mentioned in relation to this is an "assurance" from Breyer that religious people would be protected. Even if he's sincere and not lying, and even if he's not being naive, he's still only one person at one time saying that.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 28, 2015, 10:33:34 PM »
What are you talking about? "The courts" said nothing of the sort. The only thing mentioned in relation to this is an "assurance" from Breyer that religious people would be protected. Even if he's sincere and not lying, and even if he's not being naive, he's still only one person at one time saying that.
You never heard the term "No means no"?

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 28, 2015, 10:36:15 PM »
Why is every comment of yours, an attack?  Everything ok?

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #387 on: June 28, 2015, 10:38:04 PM »
You never heard the term "No means no"?
No
Why is every comment of yours, an attack?  Everything ok?
& no.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #388 on: June 28, 2015, 10:44:29 PM »
For everyone worried about their Rabbi/priest getting sued:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

The same way a Catholic priest can't get sued for not marrying off a Jewish couple (even though Jews are a protected class) a rabbi can't get sued for refusing to marry off a same-sex couple. The state can not dictate to a religious institution how to run a religious ceremony, discrimination doesn't play a role here.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 28, 2015, 11:01:22 PM »

The same way a Catholic priest can't get sued for not marrying off a Jewish couple (even though Jews are a protected class) a rabbi can't get sued for refusing to marry off a same-sex couple. The state can not dictate to a religious institution how to run a religious ceremony, discrimination doesn't play a role here.
I'm glad you're so confident, but
Honestly i have no idea but the guy who told me this is pretty well versed in this topic
makes me weary. only time will tell.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2015, 11:16:46 PM »
I'm glad you're so confident, but  makes me weary. only time will tell.
Let's just say that if Breyer had to assure the conservatives that this won't be the case that there's much cause for concern.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 28, 2015, 11:23:26 PM »
Still have no interest in arguing either side of this, but if your opinion is the opposite of whatever Fink says, you'll usually be right ;)
http://finkorswim.com/2015/06/28/i-believe-in-torah-halacha-and-equality/
I finally finished reading this thread and that is unfortunately very true
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 29, 2015, 09:58:26 AM »
Getting sued may be further down the road but losing tax exempt status is not... I would double check with my source on this stuff but he is currently in azerbajjen to meet with government officials to discuss issues of religious freedom there...

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 29, 2015, 10:22:36 AM »
Getting sued may be further down the road but losing tax exempt status is not... I would double check with my source on this stuff but he is currently in azerbajjen to meet with government officials to discuss issues of religious freedom there...
Please get back to us but the Catholic Church does have tax exempt status.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:33:06 AM by ChaimMoskowitz »

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 29, 2015, 10:24:08 AM »
Please get back to use but the Catholic Church does have tax exempt status.
From what i understand the Catholic church is very concerned about losing that status

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 29, 2015, 10:55:20 AM »

A Catholic priest can't get sued for turning down a Jewish couple, but can he get sued for turning down a Black couple?

LGBT rights groups have framed themselves in the same category as Black oppression. This is the reason bake shops and photographers have been bullied and beaten down for refusing to service gay couples.

While you sound overly confident about pastors not being targeted, it appears that many are worried. Aside from pastors, what about other wedding service providers?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 29, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »
A Catholic priest can't get sued for turning down a Jewish couple, but can he get sued for turning down a Black couple?
I assume you are asking about a Catholic black couple? A Catholic Jewish couple would not get turned down.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 29, 2015, 11:08:14 AM »
I assume you are asking about a Catholic black couple? A Catholic Jewish couple would not get turned down.

Q: How can you tell if someone is half Catholic and half Jewish?
A: When he goes to confession, he takes a lawyer with him.

But yes, I'm talking about a Catholic Black couple.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 29, 2015, 11:21:14 AM »
Q: How can you tell if someone is half Catholic and half Jewish?
A: When he goes to confession, he takes a lawyer with him.

But yes, I'm talking about a Catholic Black couple.
As long as the better half is Catholic you are OK.  :)

If you are baptized Christians you can get married in the Catholic church. Color and race does not matter.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #399 on: June 29, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
While Justice Kennedy wrote this.
It must be emphasized that religions, and those who adhere to religious doctrines, may continue to advocate with utmost, sincere conviction that, by divine precepts, same-sex marriage should not be condoned. The First Amendment ensures that religious organizations and persons are given proper protection as they seek to teach the principles that are so fulfilling and so central to their lives and faiths, and to their own deep aspirations to continue the family structure they have long revered. The same is true of those who oppose same-sex marriage for other reasons. In turn, those who believe allowing same-sex marriage is proper or indeed essential, whether as a matter of religious conviction or secular belief, may engage those who disagree with their view in an open and searching debate.
Chief Justice Roberts had this reply in which he specifically addressed tax exempt status:

Respect for sincere religious conviction has led voters and legislators in every State that has adopted same-sex marriage democratically to include accommodations for religious practice. The majority’s decision imposing same-sex marriage cannot, of course, create any such accommodations. The majority graciously suggests that religious believers may continue to “advocate” and “teach” their views of marriage. The First Amendment guarantees, however, the freedom to “exercise” religion. Ominously, that is not a word the majority uses.

Hard questions arise when people of faith exercise religion in ways that may be seen to conflict with the new right to same-sex marriage—when, for example, a religious college provides married student housing only to opposite-sex married couples, or a religious adoption agency declines to place children with same-sex married couples. Indeed, the Solicitor General candidly acknowledged that the tax exemptions of some religious institutions would be in question if they opposed same-sex marriage. There is little doubt that these and similar questions will soon be before this Court. Unfortunately, people of faith can take no comfort in the treatment they receive from the majority today
Feelings don't care about your facts