Author Topic: Old BMI Diamond Cards  (Read 20330 times)

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Old BMI Diamond Cards
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2011, 11:57:22 AM »
Firstly, "I don't scam". Cmon, you can't play both sides. Last years BMI status was officially only to those that were part of a certain group. I doubt you paid their membership fee...
Signing up a second time is a lot less of a scam...(although two wrongs don't make a right).

But to answer your questions. Status match is officially once per lifetime per program.
Depending on the airline you fly most you want to get matched to an airline in that alliance.(Upgrades are better if you match to the airline that you fly bit with silver its nothing much.)

Offline samuel613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2011, 01:53:09 PM »
Firstly, "I don't scam". Cmon, you can't play both sides. Last years BMI status was officially only to those that were part of a certain group. I doubt you paid their membership fee...
Signing up a second time is a lot less of a scam...(although two wrongs don't make a right).

But to answer your questions. Status match is officially once per lifetime per program.
Depending on the airline you fly most you want to get matched to an airline in that alliance.(Upgrades are better if you match to the airline that you fly bit with silver its nothing much.)

Though I should really address rishon rishon, I want to first thank you for replying to my query.

Regarding playing both sides, I disagree with your assessment. The BMI deal that Dan posted last year seemed open to everyone, which is why I participated in it. At no point did I misrepresent anything to the best of my knowledge. This is my only BMI account.
It is, however, a scam to sign up for a second BMI number under a different email address if their rules are only one per person.

Regarding your kind response to the topic at hand: Given the status match is only once-per-lifetime, what's the best way to extend status (for any possible airlines/alliances) given BMI  status expiring 5/11?

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2011, 02:41:33 PM »
Though I should really address rishon rishon, I want to first thank you for replying to my query.

Regarding playing both sides, I disagree with your assessment. The BMI deal that Dan posted last year seemed open to everyone, which is why I participated in it. At no point did I misrepresent anything to the best of my knowledge. This is my only BMI account.
It is, however, a scam to sign up for a second BMI number under a different email address if their rules are only one per person.

Regarding your kind response to the topic at hand: Given the status match is only once-per-lifetime, what's the best way to extend status (for any possible airlines/alliances) given BMI  status expiring 5/11?
If you don't want to pull any of you so called "Scams" then the only way is to fly 16,000 miles, and credit them to your BMI number
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »
I signed up last year, and then again this year, using the same email, address, etc. They dont seem to have a problem with it. If they do I would cancel last years account.
If you want to talk about scamming, I do have a problem with the Amex Credit card signup, knowing that you are going to ask for a refund on the 450. It seems very similar to buying something in a store knowing you are going to return it and wanting to use it for a week. I think most people would agree that's not right.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2011, 03:06:55 PM »
If you want to talk about scamming, I do have a problem with the Amex Credit card signup, knowing that you are going to ask for a refund on the 450. It seems very similar to buying something in a store knowing you are going to return it and wanting to use it for a week. I think most people would agree that's not right.

Not here to debate. Ive asked multiple poskim that shaila....have you?

When i say "that shaila" i mean both of them. The amex plat AND buying with intent to return
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:10:02 PM by David »

Offline samuel613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2011, 03:09:34 PM »
If you don't want to pull any of you so called "Scams" then the only way is to fly 16,000 miles, and credit them to your BMI number

Again, and as confirmed by the ticketing agents when checking in to flights I have taken since receiving the BMI membership, I have a valid BMI Silver status, which is the only BMI account I have. Other airlines have policies in place regarding status matches, and those policies, to my knowledge, disregard how you had achieved that status on their competitor's airline which you are asking them to match. So there is no scam here.

OTOH, to sign up for multiple memberships in the same program *IF* doing so is against the rules of said program, certainly does qualify as a scam in my book.  Again, that's IF you know it's against their rules to do so, and especially if you play games like using a different email address to try to trick their systems.

Regarding the thread's topic, does anyone have any advice on the status matches I asked about earlier? Thanks.

Offline samuel613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2011, 03:19:13 PM »
Not here to debate. Ive asked multiple poskim that shaila....have you?

That comparison to Wal-Mart, or to any Retailer, doesn't seem to be a valid comparison.

In a retail store, when you purchase an item, the retailer is expecting that you will keep it unless you *change your mind* for whatever reason, and they are only making the sale on those terms. AMEX, however, likely doesn't care if some people pull this shtick because
A) They could stop it if they wanted to (whereas a retailer will likely not stay in business if everything is final sale/non-returnable)
B) I assume the reason AMEX doesn't stop it is they are betting on you keeping it/forgetting to cancel/getting a raise/winning the lottery/whatever, and it's worth it for them to make that offer given the overall massive profit they will make. It's like these clubs that give you $100 in Gas rebates even if you cancel afterward. Clearly your transactions with them come to a net loss to them if you cancel, yet they allow you to cancel with no-questions-asked. But it's worth it for them to do so even with the *expectation* that there will be a small percentage of people who will end up costing them more than they pay.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »
doesn't seem to be a valid comparison.

I assume the reason

Bottom line, have you asked? i have asked multiple poskim both shailos. I got my psak and i follow that psak.
I think both these shailos have been asked multiple times. Everyone should ask their LOR

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2011, 03:40:15 PM »
B) I assume the reason AMEX doesn't stop it is they are betting on you keeping it/forgetting to cancel/getting a raise/winning the lottery/whatever, and it's worth it for them to make that offer given the overall massive profit they will make. It's like these clubs that give you $100 in Gas rebates even if you cancel afterward. Clearly your transactions with them come to a net loss to them if you cancel, yet they allow you to cancel with no-questions-asked. But it's worth it for them to do so even with the *expectation* that there will be a small percentage of people who will end up costing them more than they pay.

I hear that it's not exactly like walmart, but it's not exactly like the club rebates either. In the rebate mashal they tell you clearly up front that you can cancel if you are not happy, they use that to draw you in (or like the free credit scores, etc etc). I dont think amex advertises it in that way. Difference being if you tell the club you are planning to cancel, is it okay if you sign up, they will probably say 'no problem.' If you told Amex that, what would they say?

(Sorry to have taken this off topic)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
If you told Amex that, what would they say?

in all honesty, i bet you they would say its ok...but thats not the point. Why not ask your Rov?

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »
in all honesty, i bet you they would say its ok...but thats not the point. Why not ask your Rov?

will do, but it's good to understand the shaylo before asking

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2011, 03:59:16 PM »
will do, but it's good to understand the shaylo before asking

Agreed its good to understand the shaylo before asking. Its also good if the Rov understands the shaylo before asking.  ;)

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2011, 01:21:45 PM »
will british airways status match w/ my bmi number?

Offline sprint

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2011, 08:42:43 PM »
Yes, Alaska Airlines MVP gets you 2 free bags on Delta. I am not sure if it gets you free bags for everyone under your itinerary though.

In case anyone besides me cares...see the last sentence

Checked Baggage Exceptions
Please note the following exceptions:
Due to weight and balance restrictions, all passengers traveling to or from Key West, Florida are limited to one checked bag. This supersedes all exceptions.
First and Business Class passengers may check up to three bags up to 70 lbs (32 kg) each at no charge on Delta and Delta Connection operated flights.
SkyMiles Medallion® members, Million Milers, Flying Colonels, Air France & KLM Elites, and Alaska Air MVP & MVP Gold Members traveling in Economy may check up to two bags up to 70 lbs (32 kg) each at no charge on Delta and Delta Connection operated flights. The benefit applies to up to 9 people traveling in the eligible Cardmember's reservation.

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2011, 01:44:43 AM »

Due to weight and balance restrictions, all passengers traveling to or from Key West, Florida are limited to one checked bag. This supersedes all exceptions.
First and Business Class passengers may check up to three bags up to 70 lbs (32 kg) each at no charge on Delta and Delta Connection operated flights.
SkyMiles Medallion® members, Million Milers, Flying Colonels, Air France & KLM Elites, and Alaska Air MVP & MVP Gold Members traveling in Economy may check up to two bags up to 70 lbs (32 kg) each at no charge on Delta and Delta Connection operated flights. The benefit applies to up to 9 people traveling in the eligible Cardmember's reservation.

Cool!

Offline youthink

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2011, 05:59:51 PM »
Status match to Delta worked. I faxed in my BMI Silver screenshot and now I'm Silver Medallion!

Offline Lou Bob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2011, 06:14:35 PM »

I called delta, and they said that as long as I check in together with my friends in the airport, they will get the luggage benefit(friends must be on same flights, but don't have to book together in order to get this), bec I have mvp status... Is there a way to switch my ff# to delta, after we check in?
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Offline ganizzy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »
is there any way to use the old cards in the next few days?

i called aa twice and they said they dont status match. is there any other airline i can status match to (i already have delta silver) that will get me free bags on american?

thanks

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2011, 02:06:21 PM »
whats the best way to contact delta by phone for the statues match (not fax)?