Author Topic: Canadian Credit Cards  (Read 155110 times)

Offline YMW

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Credit Cards
« Reply #660 on: October 22, 2018, 12:40:16 PM »
Come out and Shop Small.

Spend $5 get $5

From October 15 to November 30, 2018 when you use your registered American Express® Card in store at different participating business locations you can get rewarded when you shop, eat or drink at participating small businesses in Montreal.

[This offer is intended for Canadian Cardmembers only. Offer only valid at participating businesses in-store in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary. Credit should appear on your billing statement within 5 days from qualifying purchases, but may take up to 90 days from November 30, 2018. Purchases must be billed to your Card account by November 30, 2018 to be eligible for this offer. If the participating business does not charge your Card during this offer period you may not be eligible for this offer. Department store concessions and outlets are not included in this offer. Purchases made using finance are excluded from this offer. A qualifying purchase of $5 or more in a single transaction that is made at a different participating business or different location of the same participating business will qualify for one $5 statement credit up to a maximum of $25 in statement credits per registered card during the offer period. One or more purchases made at the same business location will qualify for one $5 statement credit.]

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 22, 2018, 01:37:15 PM »
Nice. Free $25, do you have the registration link?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline YMW

• View Profile

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 22, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »
That's the Montreal offer, I wonder if I need to enroll specifically in Toronto offer
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:26:40 PM by Alexsei »
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 26, 2018, 07:05:35 AM »
I'm not sure if this is a new opportunity or if I just didn't know about it until now.... I just got approved for 2 US Amex cards without a SSN or Global transfer.

I'm a Canadian living in Canada, no SSN,  and I've been an AU on one of my wife's US cards for 11 months now. I've been thinking of doing a global transfer from Amex CA, but my TD US account has been giving me trouble so I couldn't change the address to a US one for address verification on a GT.

But then when I opened a regular application page on Amex US's site, I noticed that there's an option that says "I've had a loan or credit card in the UK, India, Mexico, Canada or Australia. If you have a credit report outside the U.S., we can access it to help process your application and drive a faster decision. We work with Nova Credit, a third party vendor, to access this information to supplement our standard U.S. credit checks."

It let me apply without a SSN or ITIN, using the same address that's on my AU card (wife's US address), went to pending, called in and they asked for a SSN, said I don't have one, so they took my Ontario Driver's License # instead (they said a passport # is also fine), and approved me. Did the whole process again minutes later for a second personal card and got approved again. (2 personal Hilton cards.) No address verification or tax stuff on either application.

I did notice that they don't give you this option on Biz cards applications, so for those you'd have to do a GT. Also, I don't know if the fact that I had a US credit file from being an AU had any effect on not needing address verification.

Just thought I'd share that DP.....

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 26, 2018, 09:35:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing!
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 26, 2018, 10:17:59 AM »
Thanks for sharing!
Pleasure. My only question is whether this 3rd party does a hard pull or soft pull on my Canadian report. I assume soft but I'll check my reports at some point to find out.

Offline yosef789

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 29, 2018, 08:56:27 AM »
Great news: Amex Business platinum referral is back up to 25k (with a 7k spend, and $499 annual fee).

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 06, 2018, 08:03:46 AM »
I've got enough (for now) airline/chain-hotel points from lots of Amex signup bonuses in Canada and the US and I'm now looking to sign up for a few cards that'll give me a solid stash of points that I can use against incidential travel expenses, as that's the part of my trips that I really spend money on (non-chain hotels, airbnb's, trains, etc). I'm thinking of applying for all 3 of these cards. Hitting the spend is not a problem for me.

CIBC Aventura Gold, 20k ($200 in travel) after $1000 spend

RBC Visa Infinite Avion, 20k ($200 in travel) after $1000 spend

TD Business Travel Visa, 80k ($400 on Expedia for TD) After $5000 spend

Anything to add or remove from my list? TIA.

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 03, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »
Pleasure. My only question is whether this 3rd party does a hard pull or soft pull on my Canadian report. I assume soft but I'll check my reports at some point to find out.
Update: got approved for 2 US Amex cards, no hard pulls on my Canadian credit files, and (unlike Global Transfer) no address verification required.

Offline yosef789

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 03, 2018, 10:02:04 AM »
I'm not sure if this is a new opportunity or if I just didn't know about it until now.... I just got approved for 2 US Amex cards without a SSN or Global transfer.

I'm a Canadian living in Canada, no SSN,  and I've been an AU on one of my wife's US cards for 11 months now. I've been thinking of doing a global transfer from Amex CA, but my TD US account has been giving me trouble so I couldn't change the address to a US one for address verification on a GT.

But then when I opened a regular application page on Amex US's site, I noticed that there's an option that says "I've had a loan or credit card in the UK, India, Mexico, Canada or Australia. If you have a credit report outside the U.S., we can access it to help process your application and drive a faster decision. We work with Nova Credit, a third party vendor, to access this information to supplement our standard U.S. credit checks."

It let me apply without a SSN or ITIN, using the same address that's on my AU card (wife's US address), went to pending, called in and they asked for a SSN, said I don't have one, so they took my Ontario Driver's License # instead (they said a passport # is also fine), and approved me. Did the whole process again minutes later for a second personal card and got approved again. (2 personal Hilton cards.) No address verification or tax stuff on either application.

I did notice that they don't give you this option on Biz cards applications, so for those you'd have to do a GT. Also, I don't know if the fact that I had a US credit file from being an AU had any effect on not needing address verification.

Thanks so much.

I already have credit and cards in the states for a while. My wife who had non applied with her Canadian credit and got approved instantly. Very smooth process.

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 03, 2018, 02:44:52 PM »

Thanks so much.

I already have credit and cards in the states for a while. My wife who had non applied with her Canadian credit and got approved instantly. Very smooth process.

Aproved instantly without a SSN? Or did she have a SSN just no credit history in the US?

I don't have a social so both of my applications went to pending and I had to call in for each one and give them my Canadian driver's license num instead, and then they approved it on the spot.

Offline yosef789

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 03, 2018, 03:04:10 PM »

Aproved instantly without a SSN? Or did she have a SSN just no credit history in the US?

I don't have a social so both of my applications went to pending and I had to call in for each one and give them my Canadian driver's license num instead, and then they approved it on the spot.

She has a SSN, and she was already an AU on one of my Amex US cards for a month or two. I don't recall if I entered her SSN during the application

Offline yosef789

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: December 04, 2018, 11:25:11 PM »

Do you or anyone else have an idea if applications with canadian credit and info get's displayed on US credit reports? In other words do these applications count towards chase 5/24? If not, this can open big opportunity for canadians like myself

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 05, 2018, 02:56:30 PM »

Do you or anyone else have an idea if applications with canadian credit and info get's displayed on US credit reports? In other words do these applications count towards chase 5/24? If not, this can open big opportunity for canadians like myself

TARB. I'd check my US credit report but I don't have a SSN so that's a pain in the neck.

Offline AussieMan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 14, 2018, 10:31:33 AM »
Is there a way to get USA credit score or credit limit reported in Canada for a better credit limit.
With Amex for example can they link a SIN # to a SSN?

Offline YMW

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 24, 2018, 07:57:42 PM »
What would be the most awarding Canadian cc to use for regular purchases (not grocery, gas, travel)?

Offline Ydad

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 07, 2019, 10:19:26 PM »
I have a Business Plat and applied for business Gold. Wasn't auto approved. Rep told me that I can't have both. DROPR?