Author Topic: The LA of Canada (Vancouver, BC) & The LA of the US (Los Angeles, CA)  (Read 18291 times)

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
Re: The LA of Canada (Vancouver, BC) & The LA of the US (Los Angeles, CA)
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 10:14:35 AM »
Great TR! Bringing back many good memories of my 2 weeks there.  Next time you go whistler and Victoria island is a must.

Offline dpk4588

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 10:58:37 AM »
Saturday June 27th, 2015
Shabbat morning I davened at a relatively new shul called Pico Shul, it was a nice Chabbad-style minyan, with a very nice friendly Rabbi, and they have a sit-down kiddush/lunch after minyan. For Mincha/Seuda Shlishi/Maariv I went to Young Israel of Century City, which wasn’t exciting, there didn’t seem to be any younger people, it was mostly people in their 50s and up.

Sunday June 28th, 2015
Sunday was my final day in LA and the final day of my vacation :( I started by going to Coffee Bean to pick up breakfast (especially important because I didn’t really have dinner Saturday night. The I was off to the Warner Bros. Studio Tour. It is a bit pricey, but I thought it was worth it. If I liked Pretty Little Liars, I might have enjoyed the tour a little more, since we got to go onto the soundstage where much of it is filmed. I thought it was cool. They currently have a huge Batman exhibit, which was awesome, as well as a Harry Potter exhibit, which I couldn’t have cared less about. We also got to see the soundstage for The Big Bang Theory, but you’re not allowed to take pictures of the soundstages. Many of the buildings we saw were in movies/tv shows I’ve seen and enjoyed but since they change so much to fit the most recent filming need, I didn’t take pics of them.

Batman Masks- WB Stuido Tour

Batsuit - Batman Exhibit - WB Studio Tour

Camouflage Tumbler - Batcave - WB Studio Tour

Batpod - Batcave - WB Studio Tour

Friends Soundstage - WB Studio Tour

After the tour I was off to Jeff's Gourmet Kosher Sausage for lunch. I got the Jeff’s Beef Burger, and it was good. It hit the spot.

Jeff’s Beef Burger

After my quick lunch, I was off to LA Live to the The Grammy Museum. It was ok. They had some stuff about the history of the Grammys, they also had an exhibit on 2Pac which was interesting. There is also an interactive part where you pick a genre of music and it plays a sample, and shows yous connected genres and offers samples of those genres. The bottom floor was an exhibit about Taylor Swift which I had literally no interest in.

I had then planned on doing a tour of what is now called TCL Chinese Theatre formerly known as Grauman's Chinese Theater, but since there they were having the premiere of Terminator Genisys (I saw Schwarzenegger), the place was a mob and I couldn’t get around easily, and I had a Hollywood bus tour scheduled for 5pm. Had I known that the bus tour wouldn’t be so exciting and that I’d be the only one, (yes I was the only guest on a double decker tour bus) I would have skipped it and made my way to the theater tour, but I didn’t and I did the bus tour instead.

I had gotten it for $12 with a LivingSocial deal, and I’m not sure it was worth that. Pretty much all the tour guide was say hi to his friends who ran other tours and point out the best places to eat (which he knew weren’t relevant because he guessed that I was Jewish) and what used to be old restaurants and he complained about the fact that they keep tearing down the buildings of old Hollywood, and they don’t even recognize it with signs. Wasting the $12 wasn’t the bad part, it was the 1:45 that I wasted. But, you live and you learn.

My last stop before returning my Silvercar was Mexikosher. I got a Carne Asada Burrito. It was good, but I didn’t think it was the amazing food experience that others had said it was. It was good, but I wasn’t blown away. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Carne Asada Burrito - Mexikosher

After Mexikosher it was off to Silvercar, at which the return was effortless. I actually got the email about the $25 from Dan’s referral link before I got the receipt from Silvercar. They drove me to the airport and I went to Priority Access check-in, as I was flying Business/First (I’m still not sure if it’s considered business or first, in which case I will still be able to claim that I’ve never flown business, but the boarding pass says first).

I received my first TSA Pre-Check which was exciting, except that I was told I didn’t have to take off my watch or belt, and my belt ended up setting off the metal detector. Oh well. After I finally made it through security, (it didn’t really take too long, only 3 times through the metal detector) I headed for the United Club to chill out until my flight. I used one my club passes from the UMPE which was going to expire in 2 days anyway.

As I mentioned before, I had never flown a premium cabin before this trip, so I didn’t really know what to expect for my Business/First seat. But I can safely say that I expected more. The only advantage it had over an economy seat was that it was slightly wider, and had extra legroom. Neither of which really made much of a difference to me. I assume that international first/business classes are much better, but I don’t see myself splurging for a domestic first/business on UA anytime soon. Although when I booked there weren’t any saver economy seats either so I would have paid the same price for economy so I might as well take the little bit of extra room. The other advantage was the priority baggage, which made my bag the third to come out.

I enjoyed my trip. I hope you enjoyed the TR!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 11:36:22 AM »
Saturday June 27th, 2015
Shabbat morning I davened at a relatively new shul called Pico Shul, it was a nice Chabbad-style minyan, with a very nice friendly Rabbi, and they have a sit-down kiddush/lunch after minyan. For Mincha/Seuda Shlishi/Maariv I went to Young Israel of Century City, which wasn’t exciting, there didn’t seem to be any younger people, it was mostly people in their 50s and up.

Sunday June 28th, 2015
Sunday was my final day in LA and the final day of my vacation :( I started by going to Coffee Bean to pick up breakfast (especially important because I didn’t really have dinner Saturday night. The I was off to the Warner Bros. Studio Tour. It is a bit pricey, but I thought it was worth it. If I liked Pretty Little Liars, I might have enjoyed the tour a little more, since we got to go onto the soundstage where much of it is filmed. I thought it was cool. They currently have a huge Batman exhibit, which was awesome, as well as a Harry Potter exhibit, which I couldn’t have cared less about. We also got to see the soundstage for The Big Bang Theory, but you’re not allowed to take pictures of the soundstages. Many of the buildings we saw were in movies/tv shows I’ve seen and enjoyed but since they change so much to fit the most recent filming need, I didn’t take pics of them.

Batman Masks- WB Stuido Tour

Batsuit - Batman Exhibit - WB Studio Tour

Camouflage Tumbler - Batcave - WB Studio Tour

Batpod - Batcave - WB Studio Tour

Friends Soundstage - WB Studio Tour

After the tour I was off to Jeff's Gourmet Kosher Sausage for lunch. I got the Jeff’s Beef Burger, and it was good. It hit the spot.

Jeff’s Beef Burger

After my quick lunch, I was off to LA Live to the The Grammy Museum. It was ok. They had some stuff about the history of the Grammys, they also had an exhibit on 2Pac which was interesting. There is also an interactive part where you pick a genre of music and it plays a sample, and shows yous connected genres and offers samples of those genres. The bottom floor was an exhibit about Taylor Swift which I had literally no interest in.

I had then planned on doing a tour of what is now called TCL Chinese Theatre formerly known as Grauman's Chinese Theater, but since there they were having the premiere of Terminator Genisys (I saw Schwarzenegger), the place was a mob and I couldn’t get around easily, and I had a Hollywood bus tour scheduled for 5pm. Had I known that the bus tour wouldn’t be so exciting and that I’d be the only one, (yes I was the only guest on a double decker tour bus) I would have skipped it and made my way to the theater tour, but I didn’t and I did the bus tour instead.

I had gotten it for $12 with a LivingSocial deal, and I’m not sure it was worth that. Pretty much all the tour guide was say hi to his friends who ran other tours and point out the best places to eat (which he knew weren’t relevant because he guessed that I was Jewish) and what used to be old restaurants and he complained about the fact that they keep tearing down the buildings of old Hollywood, and they don’t even recognize it with signs. Wasting the $12 wasn’t the bad part, it was the 1:45 that I wasted. But, you live and you learn.

My last stop before returning my Silvercar was Mexikosher. I got a Carne Asada Burrito. It was good, but I didn’t think it was the amazing food experience that others had said it was. It was good, but I wasn’t blown away. Maybe my expectations were too high.

After Mexikosher it was off to Silvercar, at which the return was effortless. I actually got the email about the $25 from Dan’s referral link before I got the receipt from Silvercar. They drove me to the airport and I went to Priority Access check-in, as I was flying Business/First (I’m still not sure if it’s considered business or first, in which case I will still be able to claim that I’ve never flown business, but the boarding pass says first).

I received my first TSA Pre-Check which was exciting, except that I was told I didn’t have to take off my watch or belt, and my belt ended up setting off the metal detector. Oh well. After I finally made it through security, (it didn’t really take too long, only 3 times through the metal detector) I headed for the United Club to chill out until my flight. I used one my club passes from the UMPE which was going to expire in 2 days anyway.

As I mentioned before, I had never flown a premium cabin before this trip, so I didn’t really know what to expect for my Business/First seat. But I can safely say that I expected more. The only advantage it had over an economy seat was that it was slightly wider, and had extra legroom. Neither of which really made much of a difference to me. I assume that international first/business classes are much better, but I don’t see myself splurging for a domestic first/business on UA anytime soon. Although when I booked there weren’t any saver economy seats either so I would have paid the same price for economy so I might as well take the little bit of extra room. The other advantage was the priority baggage, which made my bag the third to come out.

I enjoyed my trip. I hope you enjoyed the TR!
Shame about the flight back. If you would've only flown the extra 10 minutes (or so) to JFK you would've had a complete different experience in united 757PS.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 11:39:53 AM »

Both things I say quite often :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »
Shame about the flight back. If you would've only flown the extra 10 minutes (or so) to JFK you would've had a complete different experience in united 757PS.

I would have, except that UA has almost twice as many flights from LAX to EWR as they do to JFK (for now) and the flight I took was the only one with saver availability in either class.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 12:18:42 PM »
I would have, except that UA has almost twice as many flights from LAX to EWR as they do to JFK (for now) and the flight I took was the only one with saver availability in either class.
It's wrong to even compare UA domestic first and UA PS first. It's on a whole different league.

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 12:23:56 PM »
It's wrong to even compare UA domestic first and UA PS first. It's on a whole different league.
I wasn't comparing them. I was saying that there are fewer of the UA PS flights than flights to EWR and therefore its harder to find availability, and the flight I took was the only one available.
-Albert Einstein

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
Friday June 26, 2015
I'm not quite sure how it happened but I missed the first half of Friday when posting the TR. Here it is...

I woke up early to get my Silvercar. They picked me up at the hotel and in a few short minutes I was off. My first stop was Watts Towers.  Although it was too early to get in, as you can only get in with a guided tour, it was still amazing to see what Simon Rodia was able to do with the materials he used. It is in a super shady area and I was worried about my car being stolen, but I wasn’t able to get in, the car never actually left my sight. It is in a pretty remote area, but I think its worth checking out, especially if you can go when there are guided tours so you can get in and see more than I was able to from outside the fence.

Watts Towers

Watts Towers

Watts Towers

Watts Towers

Next stop was the La Brea Tar Pits. To be honest, I didn’t think it was that interesting. I was also kinda annoyed that I had to pay $10 for parking and if you’re not going to the museum, which I didn’t you don’t spend much time there, but it’s one of those iconic LA things, so I did it.

La Brea Tar Pits

Since my next scheduled activity was 12:45pm, I decided to have an early lunch and headed to Pizza Maven. The pizza was good, better than it looks, nothing too exciting, just good pizza.

Pizza Maven

I then headed downtown for a tour of the Walt Disney Concert Hall. It was a great tour. I got to go inside the auditorium of the concert hall and the other 3 performance halls. The Walt Disney Concert Hall was created to be the best acoustical room in the world, and it also happens to be beautiful. The other 3 performance halls were also nice, but to be honest I had no real interest in them because music is the only performing art I really enjoy. But they are still cool theaters to tour.

Walt Disney Concert Hall

Walt Disney Concert Hall

Walt Disney Concert Hall

Dorothy Chandler Pavilion

Continue to the rest of Friday here...
-Albert Einstein

Offline JT27MP

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 01:16:57 PM »
I wasn't comparing them. I was saying that there are fewer of the UA PS flights than flights to EWR and therefore its harder to find availability, and the flight I took was the only one available.

Thanks so much for sharing!!!

My wife wanted to go on vacation to the Canadian Rockies, but I think Vancouver would be much more do-able.

Are there any shuls in Vancouver that have daily minyanim for Shachris, mincha & Maariv that are in the city?
Or does one need to stay in the suburbs for that?

Offline BKYW

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 01:29:03 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing!!!

My wife wanted to go on vacation to the Canadian Rockies, but I think Vancouver would be much more do-able.

Are there any shuls in Vancouver that have daily minyanim for Shachris, mincha & Maariv that are in the city?
Or does one need to stay in the suburbs for that?

Yes
Like 10 min drive from downtown
A little longer using the bus

http://www.scharatzedeck.com
http://www.thekollel.com
http://lubavitchbc.com
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:33:11 PM by BKYW »

Offline JT27MP

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 02:17:45 PM »
Yes
Like 10 min drive from downtown
A little longer using the bus

http://www.scharatzedeck.com
http://www.thekollel.com
http://lubavitchbc.com

Thanks BKYW!

What's the parking situation by the hotels and the shuls?
Is parking available at the downtown hotels or does one have to pay for parking at the hotels or in a lot?
Is there parking available at the shuls?
Is it a Brooklyn situation where you have to pay for parking on the street?
Or do the shuls have their own parking lot and/or you can park on the street without a problem?

Offline BKYW

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 03:42:33 PM »
Thanks BKYW!

Is parking available at the downtown hotels or does one have to pay for parking at the hotels or in a lot?
Or do the shuls have their own parking lot and/or you can park on the street without a problem?

More or less like NYC where downtown & the larger commercial streets have metered parking thru the day.
Most hotels charge for parking. You can also park on the streets overnight as meters start in the morning. Some as late as 9 am
There are also lots of small lots where you park in their spot & pay by cc (no attendant)

Kollel / maple grill has a small lot in the back. Schara tczedek has a parking lot. Chabad has parking in the basement but it only shows free for cafe 41 customers. Possible you can park at jcc next door. I don't know but you can call or email them

Online tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 07:02:35 PM »
Thanks BKYW!

You can also pay the meter from the comfort of your hotel room with your smart phone. When I stayed there I always parked in the street I saved almost $200! Just a heads up some streets are free until 9 am and some only until 7 am.

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 09:05:42 PM »
youre setting the bar pretty high for a first premium cabin. just FYI for future, you can book CX F with 30k MR into Asiamiles OW
-1, 40k OW

Offline JT27MP

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 10:54:11 PM »
Thanks so much, BKYW and Tzifanya54!!!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 11:28:44 PM »
Nice TR. Thanks for writing it up and being quick with it! ;)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AharonInIsrael

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »
Enjoyable and informative read. Thanks for sharing!

Online Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »
Great pictures, about the dogs those are canadian hot-dogs, which are thinner than the US ones, quite common to get 2 inside.

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2015, 12:49:05 AM »
Great pictures, about the dogs those are canadian hot-dogs, which are thinner than the US ones, quite common to get 2 inside.
Interesting... Thanks for the info.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2015, 02:01:04 AM »
great TR, good job!