Author Topic: Amex Platinum Benefit - pay with points 30% Airline Bonus  (Read 4070 times)

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Amex Platinum Benefit - pay with points 30% Airline Bonus
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:28:58 AM »
Seemingly, taking a page from the Prestige, the AmEx Business Plat now offers A 30% mileage refund when you pay with points for a ticket on the airline you chose for your $200 travel credit.

" To use Pay with Points, you must charge your eligible airfare purchase through American Express Travel to a Membership Rewards® program-enrolled American Express® Card. Points will be debited from your Membership Rewards account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to the American Express Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on the American Express Card account. Points must be used at the time of booking. Pay with Points requires a minimum redemption of 5,000 points.

Business Platinum Card Members will receive 3 bonus points for every 10 points they redeem for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (30% Airline Bonus). Card Member must select a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline. The airline you select for the 30% Airline Bonus and the $200 Airline Fee Credit must be the same. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of your Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline.

If you select Frontier Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, or AirTran Airways, to receive your 30% Airline Bonus you must call Business Platinum Travel Service
at 1-800-553-9497. A flight booked as part of a travel package or booked with the American Express U.S. Representative Travel Network is not eligible for the 30% Airline Bonus. In addition, to be eligible to earn extra points, Card account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of extra points fulfillment. If booking is canceled, the extra points will be deducted from your Membership Rewards account. Extra points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account approximately 6-10 weeks after charges appear on your billing statement. See membershiprewards.com/terms for Membership Rewards program terms and conditions. This 30% Airline Bonus is the maximum Membership Rewards points you can get back for Pay with Points on flights booked with American Express Travel. Bonus ID: A6ZB.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:39:24 AM by iAm »
iThink. Ergo. iAm

Offline rileywiles23

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:33:18 AM »
Each MR is worth one cent towards travel ?
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Platinum Benefit - pay with points 30% Airline Bonus
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »
Each MR is worth one cent towards travel ?
Normally yes. This will give you 1.428 cents per point. Plus you'll earn BIS miles from the actual flight.

But IINM its a 30% rebate so you would likely need the larger amount (pre-rebate) in order to book. Unless you can get Amex to front you the points if you're short.

ETA- this is only on Business Plat, not personal.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
iThink. Ergo. iAm

Offline rileywiles23

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
Here's an interesting analysis:
http://travelcodex.com/2015/04/is-the-new-amex-30-pay-with-points-rebate-better-than-we-think/
Thank you for that. If I use this to buy a economy ticket on AA international, I can then upgrade said ticket to Business using miles ?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:16:02 AM by rileywiles23 »
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline IsraelGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 05:26:56 PM »
Just a data point - got caught and needed to make a Delta flight. Would have been a 20k award because the data I needed was within a week and needed a specific flight time to make it in before Shabbat.

Remembered this benefit and used it - got by point refund within 3 days - ended up being only around 15K (still terrible compared to avios but only option I have if I didn't wan't to spend cash) plus I'll earn miles. Anyway, something good to keep in mind.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 11:29:56 AM »
Can anyone confirm if I use this promo do I get 2 times the miles when using Amex travel website to book? Or even 1 point per dollar spent for the purchase?

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »
Can anyone confirm if I use this promo do I get 2 times the miles when using Amex travel website to book? Or even 1 point per dollar spent for the purchase?

I believe we discussed this. I just checked. 100% you do not. Despite what youve gotten from PointsMatch.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan