Author Topic: Amex shut my Serve account!  (Read 13078 times)

Offline freddy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Amex shut my Serve account!
« on: July 10, 2015, 01:59:19 PM »
Two days ago I was asked to send in a copy of my Bank statement, after sending it they told me they would need 24 hours to review it, last night I got this:
Card Number xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx:

Hello freddy

During a recent review of your American Express ServeŽ Account we noticed activity that was in violation of the Serve Member Agreement, section:

Section 15E

Due to the violation, your Account has been closed.

If you have any questions, please call Account Protection Services at 1-800-555-4318.

Thanks,

The American Express Serve Team
Here is section 15E of the user agreement
e. Suspension of Use; Cancellation; Closure.

We, in our sole discretion, may limit your use of, suspend or terminate your privileges with respect to your Account (including your Reserve), Sub-Account, Card and/or Sub-Account Card with or without cause or notice, other than any notice required by Applicable Law. We will only close your Account if there are no funds remaining in your Account (including your Reserve) or Sub-Account, unless you specifically instruct us to close your Account or Sub-Account with funds remaining, in which case, any remaining funds will be escheated to the applicable state in accordance with Applicable Law. Closure of your Account will prohibit your access to the Service.

If we decide to close or suspend use of your Account or Sub-Account (which closure will result in termination of your privileges with respect to the associated Card and/or Sub-Account Card), we will send an email to the primary email address we have in our records for you. Upon closure of your Account and/or Sub-Account (and termination of your privileges with respect to the associated Card and/or Sub-Account Card), you must immediately discontinue use of your Account and/or Sub-Account and associated Card and/or Sub-Account Card, as applicable. Our closure of your Account and/or Sub-Account (and termination of your privileges with respect to the associated Card and/or Sub-Account Card) will not affect your obligations under this Agreement.
I have a few hundred Dollars in there so they violated their own user agreement! No word and what will happen with the balance on the account. For the record I din't load with prepaid cards or anything all I did was load with a green card and withdraw to a checking account.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:07:40 PM by freddy »
"Judge me by the enemies I make"

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Amex shut my Serve account!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »
Green card?

Offline freddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »
Green card?
Yes to avoid the service charge when I'm not loading gc's, and a free monthly loan.

Offline maxie m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 03:53:53 PM »
Green card?
assuming amex green card
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 05:19:04 PM »
@OP, they aren't violating their agreement with you if they sent you a check for the balance in the account. You didn't highlight the whole sentence.

If it's just you're Serve account that's A/A'd, I'd say you're lucky.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline freddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 03:23:16 PM »
assuming amex green card
Correct.
@OP, they aren't violating their agreement with you if they sent you a check for the balance in the account. You didn't highlight the whole sentence.
It says they will only close the account if there's no balance left unless I specifically instruct them otherwise.

If it's just you're Serve account that's A/A'd, I'd say you're lucky.
Why is it considered risky to load a serve with amex cards? Do serve shutdowns and amex shutdowns go together generally?

Offline D93

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 05:13:32 PM »
Do serve shutdowns and amex shutdowns go together generally?
No

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 05:46:02 PM »
Correct. It says they will only close the account if there's no balance left unless I specifically instruct them otherwise.
Why is it considered risky to load a serve with amex cards?
You are getting a fee free cash advance on your green card. Can you see why they might not like this?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 05:49:55 PM »
You will get a check with the remaining funds but it will likely take at least a few weeks.

Offline maxie m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
You are getting a fee free cash advance on your green card. Can you see why they might not like this?
then why aren't they shutting down everyone who uses this feature
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 07:37:29 PM »
It says they will only close the account if there's no balance left unless I specifically instruct them otherwise.

Read the whole sentence (not just the part you bolded), if you still don't get it you might want to have your reading comprehension tested.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 11:18:37 PM »
Wow was about to load my serve from my biz plat, is that risky even if I use the money to pay a bill?

Offline sam i am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 11:31:35 PM »
Two days ago I was asked to send in a copy of my Bank statement, after sending it they told me they would need 24 hours to review it, last night I got this:Here is section 15E of the user agreementI have a few hundred Dollars in there so they violated their own user agreement! No word and what will happen with the balance on the account. For the record I din't load with prepaid cards or anything all I did was load with a green card and withdraw to a checking account.
Is bank account in your name?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 02:00:09 AM »
then why aren't they shutting down everyone who uses this feature
Maybe call and ask them.  :)
I was just pointing out why they might not like this.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 02:11:35 AM »
Card Number xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx:

Hello freddy

During a recent review of your American Express ServeŽ Account we noticed activity that was in violation of the Serve Member Agreement, section:

Section 15E

Due to the violation, your Account has been closed.

If you have any questions, please call Account Protection Services at 1-800-555-4318.

Thanks,

What were you doing?- does not sound like you loaded serve with Amx card and paid a bill

for a long time now I load serve with C.C. - when it was allowed used "any bank CC - Now I use only AMX cards - pay bills ( other c.c. ) and have no problem - I assume you did something else - what did you do?

Offline sam i am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 10:47:29 AM »

What were you doing?- does not sound like you loaded serve with Amx card and paid a bill

for a long time now I load serve with C.C. - when it was allowed used "any bank CC - Now I use only AMX cards - pay bills ( other c.c. ) and have no problem - I assume you did something else - what did you do?

For the record I din't load with prepaid cards or anything all I did was load with a green card and withdraw to a checking account.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »
TKS--Did not see that

I

Offline freddy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
Ok now they told me that they will not be returning the funds to me but instead they're going to give it over to the state, and I'll be able to get the money in December! What does this mean Why can't they just mail a check? Will it be a smooth process to get it from the state? Will it help if I make a stink out of it ie; complain to the BBB, or will that just draw Amex's attention to my accounts?

Offline freddy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 01:26:39 PM »
Yes you have a point there, I guess when it's your own account they shut down you get all indignant, when I saw the comments in the Alaska shutdown thread I couldn't understand how people could be mad. Now I would be happy if they would just mail me a check.
Is bank account in your name?
Yes

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
Ok now they told me that they will not be returning the funds to me but instead they're going to give it over to the state, and I'll be able to get the money in December! What does this mean Why can't they just mail a check? Will it be a smooth process to get it from the state? Will it help if I make a stink out of it ie; complain to the BBB, or will that just draw Amex's attention to my accounts?
What does that mean, give it to the state? Why would they do that?
When an issue similar to this happened to me they told me they wouldn't be returning the funds at all but I got a check in the mail about 2 months later. I'd imagine it'll be the same by you-ignore the reps. And I filed with BBB and it got their attention I would recommend the same to you though as a practical matter I'm not sure how much it'll help.