Author Topic: The funny/strange/interesting/random pictures thread  (Read 2812354 times)

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: The funny/strange/interesting pictures thread
« Reply #2860 on: November 15, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »
1- Its a joke
2- There something called sonogram they invented a few years back.
Re #1, I think he knew that.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2861 on: November 15, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: November 15, 2013, 12:56:36 PM »

A little too much detail in the joke..

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2863 on: November 15, 2013, 12:59:29 PM »
Re #2, I think he meant that the people who would marry off their kids before they're born are the type of people to be very against finding out the gender of their baby before birth.
Re #1, I think he knew that.
  Thanks guys, that is exactly what I was saying.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #2864 on: November 17, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »
It's a shame that you only can attach low quality pictures.

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #2865 on: November 17, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »
It's a shame that you only can attach low quality pictures.

http://fotosizer.com

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: November 17, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »
Thanks

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: November 17, 2013, 03:33:27 PM »
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #2869 on: November 17, 2013, 05:01:02 PM »

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2870 on: November 17, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2871 on: November 17, 2013, 05:23:35 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #2872 on: November 17, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: November 17, 2013, 09:49:15 PM »

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: November 17, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »
Re #2, I think he meant that the people who would marry off their kids before they're born are the type of people to be very against finding out the gender of their baby before birth.
Can anyone please point me to any sources for the latter?

TIA

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: November 17, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »
Can anyone please point me to any sources for the latter?

TIA
There isn't really any halachic source that it is assur. It is more of a minhag that some have not to.
The concept comes from Hanistaros Lahashem elokeinu vehaniglos lanu ulvaneinu and there's a medrash (or something like that) on that possuk that says that the gender of an unborn child is one of the things that the passuk is referring to.  Although it can be argued that with the technology nowadays the gender of your child is known to man (and probably documented in the docs files) so while thousands of years ago it was something only known to Hashem , nowadays that has changed. Alternatively one can say based on the medrash that this is something that man is not supposed to know and we shouldn't use technology to circumvent that.

Another concept is from ain habracha metzuaya eleh bedavar hatzamoy min hayin. 
Additionally, since it's an ayin harah to buy things for an unborn baby, once you know the gender you are more likely to start buying things than if you don't know.

Rav Shmuel Mayer Katz (Posek in Lakwood) has a kuntres on hilchos pregnancy/childbirth. In it he says that while Halachickly it's muttar, he recommends against it for the following reason. Say the father really wants a boy. If he finds out in the 5th month that it's a girl, he may have (at least subconscious) feelings of disappointment. If however he doesn't find out until the moment of birth, at that point he is so excited about the new baby and all that he won't be as focused on the gender because he is so happy that he had a healthy baby etc... and that will lessen his disappointment.

All that being said, in more yeshivish circles it's looked at as one of those things that you just don't do and in less yeshivish circles it's more of a regular decision (the same way many non-jews don't want to find out because they want to be surprised) where some do and some don't.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:19:06 PM by MarkS »

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: November 17, 2013, 10:21:08 PM »
There isn't really any halachic source that it is assur. It is more of a minhag that some have not to.
The concept comes from Hanistaros Lahashem elokeinu vehaniglos lanu ulvaneinu and there's a medrash (or something like that) on that possuk that says that the gender of an unborn child is one of the things that the passuk is referring to.  Although it can be argued that with the technology nowadays the gender of your child is known to man (and probably documented in the docs files) so while thousands of years ago it was something only known to Hashem , nowadays that has changed. Alternatively one can say based on the medrash that this is something that man is not supposed to know and we shouldn't use technology to circumvent that.

Additionally, since it's an ayin harah to buy things for an unborn baby, once you know the gender you are more likely to start buying things than if you don't know.

Rav Shmuel Mayer Katz (Posek in Lakwood) has a kuntres on hilchos pregnancy/childbirth. In it he says that while Halachickly it's muttar, he recommends against it for the following reason. Say the father really wants a boy. If you find out in the 5th month that it's a girl, he may have (at least subconscious) feelings of disappointment. If however he doesn't find out until the moment of birth, at that point he is so excited about the new baby and all that he won't be as focused on the gender because he is so happy that he had a healthy baby etc... and that will lessen his disappointment.
Well put. Personally, I didn't really care one way or another, but my wife wanted to find out, so I did too. The reasoning in the last paragraph though is a little hard to swallow. Of course that scenario could play a role for a particular couple/child, but by that logic, if the parents honestly have no preference, then it's okay to find out? And even if they want a particular gender, and will be disappointed if they find out during the pregnancy, so what? If that's going to be a lasting feeling for the parent, that parent has issues to work through one way or another and it probably won't matter when they find out, they'll be upset either way. But usually that feeling goes away well before the baby comes.

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: November 17, 2013, 11:05:29 PM »

Rav Shmuel Mayer Katz (Posek in Lakwood) has a kuntres on hilchos pregnancy/childbirth. In it he says that while Halachickly it's muttar, he recommends against it for the following reason. Say the father really wants a boy. If he finds out in the 5th month that it's a girl, he may have (at least subconscious) feelings of disappointment. If however he doesn't find out until the moment of birth, at that point he is so excited about the new baby and all that he won't be as focused on the gender because he is so happy that he had a healthy baby etc... and that will lessen his disappointment.

All that being said, in more yeshivish circles it's looked at as one of those things that you just don't do and in less yeshivish circles it's more of a regular decision (the same way many non-jews don't want to find out because they want to be surprised) where some do and some don't.
Great answer, TYVM!
Well put. Personally, I didn't really care one way or another, but my wife wanted to find out, so I did too. The reasoning in the last paragraph though is a little hard to swallow. Of course that scenario could play a role for a particular couple/child, but by that logic, if the parents honestly have no preference, then it's okay to find out? And even if they want a particular gender, and will be disappointed if they find out during the pregnancy, so what? If that's going to be a lasting feeling for the parent, that parent has issues to work through one way or another and it probably won't matter when they find out, they'll be upset either way. But usually that feeling goes away well before the baby comes.
+1.  Couldn't agree more!

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2879 on: November 17, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »
I was once with a tov when someone asked him about finding out before. He said that it makes problems with the Bracha hatov vihameitiv if you know before. He said from Butchacher that no Bracha for girl since you always knew it would be "at least" a girl.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:39:29 PM by aygart »
Feelings don't care about your facts