Author Topic: The funny/strange/interesting/random pictures thread  (Read 2759538 times)

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: The funny/strange/interesting/random pictures thread
« Reply #7300 on: September 25, 2016, 04:17:18 PM »
http://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/services/restaurant-grades.page

I dont have any of those violations in my kitchen.

If you cant run a clean shop dont blame the city. Its a fair system with opportunities to be heard and to correct violations.

if you display the "B" it means youve exhausted all options with the city and dont really care because you have a captive consumer base, i.e. kosher consumers with limited options.
You seem to have fallen for the City's scheme.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/rii/how-we-score-grade.pdf

Do you want to tell me that ALL the food in your house is at ALL times at exactly the right temperature (both hot and cold)?!  :o
Do you want to tell me that there are NO flies in your kitchen at any time?!  :o
Do you want to tell me that ALL your eating utensils are 100% sanitized according to the City's set standards?!  :o
If you failed these questions on a scale that every NORMAL house kitchen does, then you prominently earned yourself the BIG GREEN "B".

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: September 25, 2016, 04:18:15 PM »
I wouldnt walk into a "B" rated establishment.
I am extremely familiar with the grading system from both sides and I would wager that somewhere in the range of 99.9% of home kitchens wouldnt even get a B let alone an A.
The fact that someone has a B doesnt mean it's any less safe to eat in that establishment necessarily. You have to get below 14 points and there are over 1500 point possibilities and most are not direct food related.
It can be a gas pipe running through a bathroom which would cost thousands to relocate and the owner chose to take the B instead. It can be an choking sign not posted exactly where they deem enough exposure, or them catching a worker washing his hands in the kitchen sink once. It can be a tile in this bathroom came loose or a refrigerator light that died. It can be that the cleaning  towels aren't soaking in the exact chemical makeup they dictate or improper washing use of a 3 compartment sink.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 04:28:13 PM by Emkay »

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: September 25, 2016, 04:20:13 PM »
I am extremely familiar with the grading system from both sides and I would wager that somewhere in the range of 99.9% of home kitchens wouldnt even get a B let alone an A.
The fact that someone has a B doesnt mean it's any less safe to eat in that establishment necessarily. You have to get below 14 points and there are over 1500 point possibilities and most are not food direct related.
It can be a gas pipe running through a bathroom which would cost thousands to relocate and the owner chose to take the B instead. It can be an choking sign not posted exactly where they deem enough exposure, or them catching a worker washing his hands in the kitchen sink once. It can be a tile in this bathroom came loose or a refrigerator light that died. It can be that the cleaning  towels aren't soaking in the exact chemical makeup the dictate or improper washing use of a 3 compartment sink.
+1000

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: September 25, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »
+1000

...and there are some A establishments that I wouldn't walk into. But B is not a reason to avoid an establishment, just a reason to keep an extra eye open.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: September 25, 2016, 04:31:53 PM »
...and there are some A establishments that I wouldn't walk into. But B is not a reason to avoid an establishment, just a reason to keep an extra eye open.
Good point.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7305 on: September 25, 2016, 06:05:11 PM »
You seem to have fallen for the City's scheme.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/rii/how-we-score-grade.pdf

Do you want to tell me that ALL the food in your house is at ALL times at exactly the right temperature (both hot and cold)?!  :o
Do you want to tell me that there are NO flies in your kitchen at any time?!  :o
Do you want to tell me that ALL your eating utensils are 100% sanitized according to the City's set standards?!  :o
If you failed these questions on a scale that every NORMAL house kitchen does, then you prominently earned yourself the BIG GREEN "B".
What you describe is disgusting.
My food is either cooking at the proper temperature or stored at the proper temp at ALL times. Its either hot, cold, warming up or cooling down, not lying around at unsafe temps.
There are never flies in my kitchen. Yuck. Remind me not to eat in your house. Who has flies regularly and finds that acceptable?
My eating utensils are either dishwashed or hand washed clean. So once again, YUCK. You really need to re-evaluate what you accept as normal.

I know the City is very enforcement (read:$$$) oriented so they may give the lower grade to collect some revenue. I'm not as naive as you think. But If you cant get an "A" you're doing something wrong. Witness the thousands of other "A" establishments.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: September 25, 2016, 06:07:54 PM »
My food is either cooking at the proper temperature or stored at the proper temp at ALL times. Its either hot, cold, warming up or cooling down, not lying around at unsafe temps.
There are never flies in my kitchen. Yuck. Remind me not to eat in your house. Who has flies regularly and finds that acceptable?
My eating utensils are either dishwashed or hand washed clean. So once again, YUCK. You really need to re-evaluate what you accept as normal.

I know the City is very enforcement (read:$$$) oriented so they may give the lower grade to collect some revenue. I'm not as naive as you think. But If you cant get an "A" you're doing something wrong. Witness the thousands of other "A" establishments.
I think your response proves his point. Enough said.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: September 25, 2016, 06:22:47 PM »
So you're saying that you NEVER have your groceries delivered, because if yes it is impossible that the items arrive at the desired temperature. Feel the yogurts, milk, OJ etc. impossible that they are according to regulation. If you want to tell me that having groceries delivered is not the norm, then go to Mars.
If you are not out there to find them, of course it sounds disgusting and unheard of. Had someone offered you a $100 bill for every fly you find you'd open a fly shelter...

plus,
...soaking in the exact chemical makeup they dictate or improper washing use of a 3 compartment sink.

After all said, It's fine. I have enough others to gladly accept my invitation for dinner.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: September 25, 2016, 07:23:54 PM »
Youre right.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: September 25, 2016, 07:38:55 PM »
Youre right.
You're invited for dinner!  ;D

Offline rs242

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: September 25, 2016, 08:34:53 PM »

If you do everything you said here you would get a big B

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: September 25, 2016, 09:51:31 PM »
You're invited for dinner!  ;D
😷🤒🤕😆
Gladly, but i come with a wife and 4 kids. What days of Yom Tov?

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: September 26, 2016, 03:31:34 PM »
Somehow this system managed to stigmatize  anyone below an "A". These ratings are based on extremely strict regulations that are really really hard to follow for practical reasons. I've spoken to an owner of a prominent restaurant (who, BTW, has an A), and he told me that people have no idea what kind of vicious screening they have to go through to get (or keep) that A. So to say that you wouldn't walk into an establishment with a B is like saying you wouldn't walk into your own home kitchen (which probably barely makes a C), if you're familiar with the regulations. This system is pretty good for the customers, but is a literal killer for small businesses.

Why is the system good for the customers? If what you're saying is true, then we aren't even getting good information about the state of cleanliness in the restaurant and it is just based on vicious screening tactics. It's not like the customers can use B ratings to negotiate for themselves. People either avoid B ratings (which you're suggesting is unnecessary) or they go there and live with it.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: September 26, 2016, 03:37:35 PM »
Why is the system good for the customers? If what you're saying is true, then we aren't even getting good information about the state of cleanliness in the restaurant and it is just based on vicious screening tactics. It's not like the customers can use B ratings to negotiate for themselves. People either avoid B ratings (which you're suggesting is unnecessary) or they go there and live with it.
It's good for customers (although end of the day they [somewhat] foot the bill) because it does urge the business owners to keep to general higher standards so that they can at least pass inspection.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: September 26, 2016, 03:45:08 PM »
When will I open this thread and see funny/strange/interesting/random pictures again?
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: September 26, 2016, 03:46:10 PM »
This thread has been a popcorn machine for a while.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: September 26, 2016, 03:47:02 PM »
When will I open this thread and see funny/strange/interesting/random pictures again?
When you post one?

Yes, I know, I'm subscribed to this thread, and not to follow the restaurant grading discussion.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:02:11 PM by Cheesecake »

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: September 26, 2016, 04:03:59 PM »
Is this a repost?

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: September 26, 2016, 04:18:53 PM »
JTZ