Author Topic: The funny/strange/interesting/random pictures thread  (Read 2759861 times)

Offline bosoxfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The funny / strange etc. pictures thread
« Reply #320 on: December 19, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »
+1
what about if you wear that costume on purim?
It's not much better, but there you can make the case he's making fun of the a'z not participating in it.

so youre saying he shouldnt have put on tefillin?

Not in that outfit no. The mitzva does take precednt over kavod hamitzvah.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #321 on: December 19, 2011, 06:31:34 PM »

::)

What if it was his first time putting on tefillin?

What are you going to say, "I know we just spent a few minutes discussing how beautiful the positive commandment of putting of tefillin is, but, sir, do you mind just changing out of that pagan costume first?"
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Nitantnel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 19, 2011, 06:35:05 PM »
+1

While you might be +1 to him, you realize that he doesn't agree with you. It seems that he believes it's not a Bizoyon at all, whereas you think he should have not put on Tefillin. I.e. my opinion is closer to his opinion.

In any event, and in response to miosh: It is indeed very nice that a Yid who is has gone that far still has a burning pintile yid that still wants to put on Tefillin, all I am saying is that making a big deal out of it makes it sound like compromise, that we're ready to meet in the middle: Keep being santa and you can still be Jewish.

Although the whole idea of Mivtza tefillin is that we put on tefillin to people who are not frum yet, however at least in that very moment they are doing it right - they were a yarmulke-  in this case however he is wearing a symbol  of an opposing religion.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #323 on: December 19, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »
While you might be +1 to him, you realize that he doesn't agree with you. It seems that he believes it's not a Bizoyon at all, whereas you think he should have not put on Tefillin. I.e. my opinion is closer to his opinion.

What in the world ???
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline bosoxfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 19, 2011, 07:05:47 PM »
::)

What if it was his first time putting on tefillin?

What are you going to say, "I know we just spent a few minutes discussing how beautiful the positive commandment of putting of tefillin is, but, sir, do you mind just changing out of that pagan costume first?"

You have to be smarter about which mitzvah you may choose to discuss with him. I get how important mivtzoyim is to lubavitcher chassidim, but it shouldn't override basic kavod hamitzvos

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #325 on: December 19, 2011, 07:07:29 PM »
You have to be smarter about which mitzvah you may choose to discuss with him. I get how important mivtzoyim is to lubavitcher chassidim, but it shouldn't override basic kavod hamitzvos
So we shouldn't put tefilin on people at all in LA as there are pritzusdike signs and billboards wherever you look, right?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 19, 2011, 07:33:51 PM »
The guy on the pic looks a little like santa, but is the commercial version they use all over to promote sales, holidays, whatever.

the real santa (if you will) is the following:

off course those guys are also dressed up, but they have the crosses and  the works.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 19, 2011, 07:41:06 PM »
actually, that costume itself is not pagan. It's a modern (last 200 years) invention.
Yes, the origins of the holiday is (somewhat) pagan based, but calling that a Pagan costume is IMO quite a stretch.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 19, 2011, 07:41:52 PM »
I wish I could say this was the first time he's been excessively judgmental.

I am sorry AJK, nothing I said here was judgmental. Even the fact which I said, 'that 'in my opinion it should have not been posted' was referring to the initial chabad (news/gossip) website that posted it, not the one who posted it here on DDF.

Concerning me being excessively judgmental, I will have to disagree with that too. What I was saying in the other thread is exactly what I will respond to the above (quoted) comment you posted in this thread:

The problem in being judgmental is that it points out the bad in others. Pointing out that someone else is judgmental (the word your using here [and in the other thread] for bad,) is the same as actually being judgmental.

(Even my comment [in which I pointed out that you were judgmental] was not meant to point out your "bad" but the inconsistency.

I hope this is clear.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 19, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »
+1
what about if you wear that costume on purim?
I believe that was discussed a bit earlier on in this thread.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:06:54 PM by whYME »

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 19, 2011, 08:06:30 PM »
Most Shittos hold that Christianity is avoda zara, hence the holiday of Christmas is a holiday of ovdei a"z. The costume that this man wore, regardless of his heritage, is something that should never be worn with Tefillin. It's that simple.
I'm assuming you meant to say "does NOT take precednt"...
do you have a halachik makor for that or is that just your opinion?

For one thing, that costume is probably more a symbol of the secular, commercialized aspects of Christmas rather then a symbol of Christianity.

Ideally should he have worn that with tefillin? No.
Should the fact that he was wearing it mean that he shouldn't be able to put on tefillin? I don't think so.

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 19, 2011, 09:51:56 PM »

Offline bosoxfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 20, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »
So we shouldn't put tefilin on people at all in LA as there are pritzusdike signs and billboards wherever you look, right?
You mean because people are dressed completely inappropriately right near the Yid putting on Tefillin and making a bracha? Correct. No Tefillin should be put on in such environments.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
The funny / strange etc. pictures thread
« Reply #333 on: December 20, 2011, 09:26:51 AM »
You mean because people are dressed completely inappropriately right near the Yid putting on Tefillin and making a bracha? Correct. No Tefillin should be put on in such environments.

Offline bosoxfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 20, 2011, 09:35:15 AM »
So I'm not allowed to disagree with your hashkafa? Sounds like a very accepting group here.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
The funny / strange etc. pictures thread
« Reply #335 on: December 20, 2011, 09:44:59 AM »
So I'm not allowed to disagree with your hashkafa? Sounds like a very accepting group here.
U can disagree all u want. I'm just stating my opinion. And the reason I say so is because I think the whole mivtza of teffilin (that the Lubavitcher rebbe instituted) was meant to put teffilin on to yidden that don't put on or don't have much of a connection to yiddishkeit. And even those ppl that are so far away from yiddishkeit that they don't want to hear of it.
And it shouldn't make a diff where and what the surroundings are (besides obviously a bathroom or a place that has tzoah all around as the shulchan aruch brings down a case if I'm not mistaken) but it doesn't say anywhere that if ppl around u are not tznius or the avir around u is not so clean u shouldn't lay teffilin
I'm not saying you should go to the beach and start putting teffilin on ppl there. If ur going there than u should bring the Jew to the side and put teffilin there
If I understand correctly from what u said it sounds like ur saying that it's better that the Jew not put teffilin on that day then put it on in a place with surroundings as his (pritzus)

Offline bosoxfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 20, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »
I see how what I said can mean that. In some ways it does. I still think you should take the opportunity to out tefillin on, just not wherever whenever. And yes you're not allowed to make a brocha in front of a women who's not tznius. Halachically untznius.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 20, 2011, 10:33:22 AM »
I see how what I said can mean that. In some ways it does. I still think you should take the opportunity to out tefillin on, just not wherever whenever. And yes you're not allowed to make a brocha in front of a women who's not tznius. Halachically untznius.

your questions are aged old questions which were all properly responded to at the time the Mivtza came out.

Offline bosoxfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 20, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »
I've yet to hear a proper response

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 20, 2011, 11:33:13 AM »
This reminds me of a story that happened to my brother a long time ago . My parents were in the mall during the holiday season and passed a line of kids taking pics with santa. My parents jokingly nudged my brother to take a picture too, obviously he didn't want to. After standing around for a moment santa turns to my brother and tells him in perfect yidish "Kim aher, hub nisht moira"-come here,don't be afraid- (or something to that affect)