Author Topic: Planned Parenthood  (Read 8227 times)

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Planned Parenthood
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:30:59 PM »
As someone who leans conservative, I cannot understand why conservatives are obsessed with attacking Planned Parenthood.

Is it a Christian thing?

Jewish law does not appear to be so extreme when it comes to abortion. There are some contemporary Poskim who hold that abortion is permissible in cases of psychiatric danger to the mother, adultery, rape and even known sicknesses like Tay Sachs.

Jewish law aside, why not allow a teenager on drugs who has no money and no family to get an abortion? There is evidence of crime reduction directly related to abortion.

Last but not least, wouldn't criminalizing abortion lead to more Liberal and Democratic voters?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Planned Parenthood
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »
As someone who leans conservative, I cannot understand why conservatives are obsessed with attacking Planned Parenthood.

Is it a Christian thing?

Jewish law does not appear to be so extreme when it comes to abortion. There are some contemporary Poskim who hold that abortion is permissible in cases of psychiatric danger to the mother, adultery, rape and even known sicknesses like Tay Sachs.

Jewish law aside, why not allow a teenager on drugs who has no money and no family to get an abortion? There is evidence of crime reduction directly related to abortion.

Last but not least, wouldn't criminalizing abortion lead to more Liberal and Democratic voters?
Why are you assuming who is getting abortions?

As the line goes what if it was your mother?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:33:18 PM »
Inserts popcorn.

Offline Aj3042

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »

Is it a Christian thing?

IIRC The Rambam paskens that for non Jews abortion is one of their 7 mitzvahs and is the equivalent of murder. So יש על מי לסמוך.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 12:38:15 PM »
Why are you assuming who is getting abortions?

Which part of my post are you referring to? The part of less Democratic voters? If this were not the case then pro-life movements would be hypocrites, would they not?

As the line goes what if it was your mother?

I don't know. I wouldn't be here to post this. I can say that I B"H grew up in a very stable family and had a good childhood. I can also say that my mother probably knew (or hoped?) this would be the case.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 12:38:52 PM »
IIRC The Rambam paskens that for non Jews abortion is one of their 7 mitzvahs and is the equivalent of murder. So יש על מי לסמוך.

Source?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »
Which part of my post are you referring to? The part of less Democratic voters? If this were not the case then pro-life movements would be hypocrites, would they not?
You make it seem like only low lifes get abortions. If it becomes legal and a normal part of society than having abortions will be like using other preventative measures. And it just won't be a big deal.

Is it friday yet?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline avremie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 01:02:52 PM »

poverty is no excuse for abortion if you can't raise the child put him/her up for adoption.
Youre saying more abortion means less blacks and less blacks means less crime?

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »

Is it a Christian thing?

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A SONOGRAM? THAT SHOULD ANSWER IT
#TYH

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 01:11:58 PM »

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 02:17:24 PM »
poverty is no excuse for abortion if you can't raise the child put him/her up for adoption.
Youre saying more abortion means less blacks and less blacks means less crime?

Who said anything about Blacks?

The adoption idea is good in theory but not in practice. Most mothers, even a crack addicted teenager, will not give up their baby for adoption once the baby is born. Essentially, the crack-baby is now going to live through a life of abuse and neglect. (Sure, maybe the baby won't, but he probably will.)

Now, I know people will jump on this and say "who are you to decide who lives and who dies?". Well, For starters, I don't decide anything. I am only suggesting to leave those people and their decisions be, as I don't believe it causes harm to society.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 02:55:59 PM »
Maybe we need a pop quiz so even a fifth grader will understand.

When does a human life begin according to some religions?

What is this the definition of?
1. the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »

When does a human life begin according to some religions?

so
Is it a Christian thing?

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 04:49:48 PM »
So this priest and pastor were arguing about when life begins...

Ba DUM bum!

Online Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 04:51:07 PM »

Is it friday yet?
+1

couldn't you wait one day to post this?
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 05:57:55 PM »
In freakonomics they claim that the reason why crime went down all over the United States was because abortion became legalized and kids from those types of broken homes just weren't being born anymore.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 06:01:54 PM »
In Judaism when does a human life begin?

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »
In Judaism when does a human life begin?

There isn't a simple answer to this question. You can start here: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/529077/jewish/What-is-the-Torahs-View-on-Abortion.htm

In short, under Jewish law a fetus is considered a "potential life", but not an actual life. If a Jew kills the fetus of another Jew(ess) he would need to provide monetary compensation but he would not be liable for a death penalty. Actual life begins once the baby's head emerges from the birth canal. (Not sure how this works with a C-section).

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »
In freakonomics they claim that the reason why crime went down all over the United States was because abortion became legalized and kids from those types of broken homes just weren't being born anymore.

I doubt there is any way to prove whether this is correct or incorrect. I personally believe it to be correct.

I would donate to Planned Parenthood if they agreed to open 10,000 facilities in Iran.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »
There isn't a simple answer to this question. You can start here: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/529077/jewish/What-is-the-Torahs-View-on-Abortion.htm
According to your link the answer is pretty simple and spot on.

This applies to an abortion, as well. A fetus is a potential life, so we are not allowed to kill a fetus. However, if the fetus is endangering the mother's life and the only way to protect the mother is by taking the life of the fetus, then we must do so.

However, this is all only as long as the fetus is a life-in-potential. Once the baby's head has emerged from the birth canal, s/he has become a full-fledged human being of the same status as the mother. Even though the mother has a family to take care of and has proven herself viable and valuable, we consider this a matter of one life versus another. At that point, we can't give precedent to either life. Life, according to our tradition, is not something to which you can apply relative values.