Author Topic: Planned Parenthood  (Read 4462 times)

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Planned Parenthood
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 05:57:55 PM »
In freakonomics they claim that the reason why crime went down all over the United States was because abortion became legalized and kids from those types of broken homes just weren't being born anymore.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 06:01:54 PM »
In Judaism when does a human life begin?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Online zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »
In Judaism when does a human life begin?

There isn't a simple answer to this question. You can start here: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/529077/jewish/What-is-the-Torahs-View-on-Abortion.htm

In short, under Jewish law a fetus is considered a "potential life", but not an actual life. If a Jew kills the fetus of another Jew(ess) he would need to provide monetary compensation but he would not be liable for a death penalty. Actual life begins once the baby's head emerges from the birth canal. (Not sure how this works with a C-section).

Online zale

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »
In freakonomics they claim that the reason why crime went down all over the United States was because abortion became legalized and kids from those types of broken homes just weren't being born anymore.

I doubt there is any way to prove whether this is correct or incorrect. I personally believe it to be correct.

I would donate to Planned Parenthood if they agreed to open 10,000 facilities in Iran.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »
There isn't a simple answer to this question. You can start here: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/529077/jewish/What-is-the-Torahs-View-on-Abortion.htm
According to your link the answer is pretty simple and spot on.

This applies to an abortion, as well. A fetus is a potential life, so we are not allowed to kill a fetus. However, if the fetus is endangering the mother's life and the only way to protect the mother is by taking the life of the fetus, then we must do so.

However, this is all only as long as the fetus is a life-in-potential. Once the baby's head has emerged from the birth canal, s/he has become a full-fledged human being of the same status as the mother. Even though the mother has a family to take care of and has proven herself viable and valuable, we consider this a matter of one life versus another. At that point, we can't give precedent to either life. Life, according to our tradition, is not something to which you can apply relative values.

Online zale

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 06:41:47 PM »
According to your link the answer is pretty simple and spot on.

This applies to an abortion, as well. A fetus is a potential life, so we are not allowed to kill a fetus. However, if the fetus is endangering the mother's life and the only way to protect the mother is by taking the life of the fetus, then we must do so.

However, this is all only as long as the fetus is a life-in-potential. Once the baby's head has emerged from the birth canal, s/he has become a full-fledged human being of the same status as the mother. Even though the mother has a family to take care of and has proven herself viable and valuable, we consider this a matter of one life versus another. At that point, we can't give precedent to either life. Life, according to our tradition, is not something to which you can apply relative values.

It's far from simple. What does "life-in-potential" mean? What law does one transgress by killing a life-in-potential?

Judaism most certainly does not consider life from conception.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 06:46:12 PM »

Some say 40 days after conception
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 06:48:21 PM »
It's far from simple. What does "life-in-potential" mean? What law does one transgress by killing a life-in-potential?

You are confusing two issues. Life-in-potential is talking about mother VS child/fetus.

This part is pretty simple to me: A fetus is a potential life, so we are not allowed to kill a fetus.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 06:51:26 PM »
Some say 40 days after conception
Is there a point where everyone in Judaism agrees you are not allowed to kill a fetus. That could 1,3 or 6 months.

Online zale

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
You are confusing two issues. Life-in-potential is talking about mother VS child/fetus.

This part is pretty simple to me: A fetus is a potential life, so we are not allowed to kill a fetus.

We know that Judaism prohibits the killing of a fetus. The question is under what circumstances may one abort a fetus. If a Jew kills a fetus, Jewish law does not categorize it as murder.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 07:01:54 PM »
We know that Judaism prohibits the killing of a fetus. The question is under what circumstances may one abort a fetus.
Did Bill Clinton write Jewish law? Are you kidding me?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »
Is there a point where everyone in Judaism agrees you are not allowed to kill a fetus. That could 1,3 or 6 months.
Other than cases of danger to the life of the mother I am pretty sure that at least the vast majority agree after 40 days. I am unfamiliar with the aforementioned opinion that it would be permissible for psychological reasons.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Online zale

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 07:02:44 PM »

Let me clarify: Judaism prohibits the killing of a fetus. This begins immediately from conception. Even the pill known as "plan B" is prohibited. However, Jewish law has a concept known as a "Heter".

A "Heter" is a special waiver (so to speak) for an individual to do something which is normally prohibited. For example, a person who is very ill may eat on Yom Kippur.

Because Jewish law doesn't see a fetus as an actual life, there are various cases in which one may receive a "Heter" to abort.

For example, a woman may receive a "heter" to use a plan B pill if she was raped.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 07:06:48 PM »
A "Heter" is a special waiver (so to speak) for an individual to do something which is normally prohibited. For example, a person who is very ill may eat on Yom Kippur.

Because Jewish law doesn't see a fetus as an actual life, there are various cases in which one may receive a "Heter" to abort.
Let me boil it down to two words I have heard all to often "special dispensation". What a bunch of BS.

Online zale

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2015, 07:07:36 PM »
Other than cases of danger to the life of the mother I am pretty sure that at least the vast majority agree after 40 days. I am unfamiliar with the aforementioned opinion that it would be permissible for psychological reasons.

Here is a pretty good summary: http://www.aish.com/ci/sam/48954946.html?mobile=yes

There is a machlokes on the matter of psychological issues or a child with severe illness.