Author Topic: MP and Co's Trip Around the World in Thirteen Days  (Read 17416 times)

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: MP and Co's Trip Around the World in Thirteen Days
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2015, 03:55:14 PM »
Thanks for everyone's nice message

As this board is used by a mostly 'halacha keeping, keeping crowd I was wondering about a valid point. How would people like it when a guy wrote in his trip report that he went to a brothel every night?!
People take notes and plan their trip according to other trip reports and this could be a major 'chet' that people don't realize. This is not cholov stam or cholov yisroel issue.

The op can respond if he chooses to or ignore it. If you dont like the question to bad!

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2015, 04:18:06 PM »

As this board is used by a mostly 'halacha keeping, keeping crowd I was wondering about a valid point. How would people like it when a guy wrote in his trip report that he went to a brothel every night?!
People take notes and plan their trip according to other trip reports and this could be a major 'chet' that people don't realize. This is not cholov stam or cholov yisroel issue.

The op can respond if he chooses to or ignore it. If you dont like the question to bad!
+1

TRs are a great resource for people who are planning trips. People assume that most TRs are written by frum jews and therefore wouldn't think that certain sights/attractions may be halachically problematic.

If the OP's Rabbi was ok with him visiting, he should - as most people do- make it clear this is something to AYLOR. There is nothing wrong in discussing it, it is discussed plenty in the Rome thread for example.

Having said that, the tone of the original questioner was definitely disrespectful.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2015, 05:20:22 PM »
I do agree it is a AYLOR situation, but do people really follow blindly what others have done. I always use TR's as a guide and build off of that.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2015, 05:25:10 PM »
As a side note, for anyone interested in going to Bali, or a place like Thailand, there are temples everywhere and can cannot be avoided. Almost every store has some kind of item for sale that also has what to do with this. I guess for someone who is worried, best to stay away from these countries.

I want to mention that I am not "going after" anyone about this, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. I do think it is a good idea to put all the cards on the table do people can make informed decisions. Though maybe this is not the best thread for it.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline ual902

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2015, 05:28:15 PM »
As a side note, for anyone interested in going to Bali, or a place like Thailand, there are temples everywhere and can cannot be avoided. Almost every store has some kind of item for sale that also has what to do with this. I guess for someone who is worried, best to stay away from these countries.

I want to mention that I am not "going after" anyone about this, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. I do think it is a good idea to put all the cards on the table do people can make informed decisions. Though maybe this is not the best thread for it.

We Love your Trip Report and we love the Temples.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2015, 06:01:09 PM »

+1

TRs are a great resource for people who are planning trips. People assume that most TRs are written by frum jews and therefore wouldn't think that certain sights/attractions may be halachically problematic.

If the OP's Rabbi was ok with him visiting, he should - as most people do- make it clear this is something to AYLOR. There is nothing wrong in discussing it, it is discussed plenty in the Rome thread for example.

Having said that, the tone of the original questioner was definitely disrespectful.

Again, no one is suggesting that asking the question is inappropriate.

However, the forum in which it was asked, the tone in which it was asked, and the manner in which it was asked, were all indeed inappropriate.  If you personally have a religious issue with someone's vacation choice, feel free to ask him via PM, or your LOR about it, and share that point of view--if you feel so inclined--in a separate thread.  It's isn't common courtesy to thread-crap someone else's TR with your own religious agenda, especially--as in this case--the issue is far from clear cut.

TR's are shared as a kindness to the community; the OP shouldn't have to defend his choices, or explain the motivations behind them, to the self-appointed religious hanhala of DDF.  At the very most, a respectful comment of "FYI for the community: visiting temples could be considered halachically questionable by some. It would be wise to consult your LOR before doing so. Great TR!"

Finally, anyone who follows blindly the trip-planning info contained in TRs without adapting that info to his own use would be akin to doing something "well, because he did it!"

I'll answer what every 2nd grade morah answers in response: "Well, if he jumped off a bridge, would you?"
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »
I do agree it is a AYLOR situation, but do people really follow blindly what others have done. I always use TR's as a guide and build off of that.

+1, absolutely. It would be asinine to suggest doing the Kalalau Trail with 2 infants because "I saw on DDF that this other guy did it, so we can too, honey! Never mind we're different people, with different family structures, needs and desires!"

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2015, 08:10:26 PM »
I think people are reacting badly here and taking it personal... maybe because they know they themselfs did it and can't really justify it, but never mind...

To the op, I did thailand 2 years in a row and while you see the a'z all over there is a difference of seeing it and not caring or specially going there and having 'hanoe' taking pics and saying how amazing it is...
I did hkg and didn't go look at the buddah or the summer palace in bejing and skipped the Tempel part

I will ask my own rabbi, but just curious if someone here did and got a ok or just doing it and not caring about the halacha

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2015, 08:30:28 PM »
How about moving the Halacha questions to a separate dedicated thread. Mods?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2015, 09:54:51 PM »
I think people are reacting badly here and taking it personal... maybe because they know they themselfs did it and can't really justify it, but never mind...

To the op, I did thailand 2 years in a row and while you see the a'z all over there is a difference of seeing it and not caring or specially going there and having 'hanoe' taking pics and saying how amazing it is...
I did hkg and didn't go look at the buddah or the summer palace in bejing and skipped the Tempel part

I will ask my own rabbi, but just curious if someone here did and got a ok or just doing it and not caring about the halacha

Finally the true colors shine.  You're "just curious if someone . . . is just doing it and not caring about halacha." Call the mashgiach! Light the pitchforks! Down with the OP!

OK, so now we know all know you skipped the Buddha and every other temple. Congratulations. Your holier than thou attitude is off-putting and has no place here. Either be respectful or move on, bro.

I'm done with this topic.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:06:39 PM by AJK »

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2015, 11:23:53 PM »
yes, I am curious. Not about the op, but people jewish people in general going

A few people have writen that they went to these type of places and it seems that its ok and no issue to go, unless all people here don't care about basic haloche (one of the aseres hadibrois we read this shabbes!) So I am bringing up a valid question after reading such a visit once again

people take this question very personal here, I wonder why....

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2015, 12:00:21 AM »
We are liberal over here. The move is to attack the question instead of providing an answer.  :o :o

Online shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2015, 12:05:38 AM »

chuchem, your have a valid question in general, however it may be the wrong place to ask when MP is on vacation. Maybe there should be a separate thread for the many valid halachik questions that arise while traveling. Also you can never blindly follow what other -even frum- people do, there are different hashkafos and minhagim, interests.
I am not sure where you get the idea that looking or taking a picture is "honoah". Additionally, most of today's idol-worshippers are not true idol-worshipers, they simply follow the tradition of their ancestors - they have their own yeridas hadoros - without actually worshiping and believing in idols - see Chullin 6. But AYLOR.

Offline DMYD

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2015, 12:13:13 AM »
I don't understand why anyone has the right to ruin MPs TR! He is writing a TR and stuff that don't belong here are being discussed. I hope Mods move them to the correct threads.

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2015, 12:53:48 AM »

yes, I am curious. Not about the op, but people jewish people in general going

A few people have writen that they went to these type of places and it seems that its ok and no issue to go, unless all people here don't care about basic haloche (one of the aseres hadibrois we read this shabbes!) So I am bringing up a valid question after reading such a visit once again

holy smokes. You really don't get it,
you wanna talk about a subject, fine open up ur own thread.

STOP CRAPING UP THIS THREAD

Especially when the OP's doing us a favor by writing this TR while he's on vacation